Thread: Which boat???

Default Which boat???

Hey all, with spring right around the corner I'm getting the itch to get my first boat. With that being said I don't wanna break the bank or buy a lemon. I'm leaning towards buying new unless a great deal pops ups. I'm thinking about the smokercraft phantom 202, or a hewescraft sportsman 20'. The boat will be used for fishing manly... PWS Seward homer ext...on fair days And the occasional lake. Im no opposed to running in the Rivers. I'm just not that concerned about running in 12 inches of water. Just looking for some in sight on either one of these boats or other boats
    thanks

JD,

You really should include the price of these boats. I am thinking they are on the order of $30k-$35k. Are you considering a boat loan? I would strongly suggest the Hewescraft SeaRunner line for what you are describing. I'd really suggest the new SeaRunner 210 ($45k) because it is bigger and more stable than the SeaRunner 220. The OceanPro is better still but that is a $55k-$65k boat (2x your original budget).

Almost everyone I know who has bought Hewescraft Sportsman or Pro-V models have upgraded to SeaRunners or bigger. People who right off the bat buy a SeaRunner either stick with them forever (because they really are that great) or they go really big.

The original question, I'd go Sportsman over the Phantom. And in a 20' I'd go with a 115hp or 150hp. I'd also suggest the Alumaweld Blackhawk 202 with the 18Deg hull (in RED).

Sobie2

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

I have to smile at your comment "I'm just not that concerned about running in 12 inches of water." I would also like to always be in 12" or more of water out on the river, but in the silty water around here that can be really hard to do.

Best new deal I have seen recently on a hewes ocean pro 220 was at the Portland boat show. it was fully rigged (potpuller, downriggers, Honda 250, 9.9 Honda kicker, extended transom hard top etc) and it was $79K. I wish I'd have bought it.

The sportsman's seats are too far forward - so you get a lot of bounce IMO for salt water.

Going new is a waste of $ imo unless going with something custom built. There are good deals around on the kind of boat you're looking for.
    PM me as I know of a boat that will come up for sale shortly.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    JD,

I'd go Sportsman over the Phantom. And in a 20' I'd go with a 115hp or 150hp. I'd also suggest the Alumaweld Blackhawk 202 with the 18Deg hull (in RED).

Sobie2
    That black hawk is a sexy boat! I wish I lived on the coast. It would be much easier on which boat to buy. As soon as the rivers break up here I'm going to test drive a sport jet. I believe it's the same hull as a sports man

Best advice I can give is buy used. Be patient and know what you want. Most often the best deals will be found outside. I purchased my last two boats in the Seattle area and drove out and pulled them back, way cheaper than having shipped. If you're lucky you'll find a used boat here with low hours. Sure it's great to buy a new boat but be prepared to spend like 30% more for the same boat used with often less than 200 hours and lots of extra gear.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

It has been stated before and I will say it again, you are much better off buying used. Its like buying a new car and how much you lose when you drive it off the lot. I bought my Hewescraft new and it will be the last one I buy new ever. It is tough to find a boat that will do both river and salt and be safe in the salt water as well.
    Don't get rolled up in the 2ft rule... meaning buy the most boat for the buck that you will work for your families needs. If you are looking at a 20' then try and swing a 22' and so forth. a 20' boat is about as small as I would ever be in going out of Whittier only because I have gone out in flat calm and come back in 4's and 5' seas and its not fun in a small 20'.

Hewescraft is about the best boat for the bucks out there and there have been several on CL as of late. A hard cover boat that would be roomy for you family and is as safe as they come.
    Good luck on your search.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam