Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Octopus near Homer

Default Octopus near Homer

Does anyone have a way they catch octopus out of Homer. Have walked the tide flats to catch them but they were little. Saw a sea otter with a good sized one last week. I have never fished for them and was wondering how to?

I've been meaning to make some octopus pots.
    I have the materials just haven't gotten around to completing them.
    Has a friend who was going to help me make them and test them but he moved out of state.
    Maybe this summer I'll get some made.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've often wondered that myself. I have brought up several large octopi on my halibut bait before, but they slithered off before I could grab them. I know they like to hide in dark small places and have wondered if a person could legally drop like a 2'x 6" ABS pipe with a float, and possibly bait, and leave it down for a while before pulling it up slowly. Probably a law against it though.

I'm going to try this with maybe one more hook. 16oz lead head. Body courtesy of the Seward Sea Life Center I think....
    Originally for halibut.

Killer Rudy! That actually looks a little like a backwards scorpion.

I thought the classic octopus trap was a 4ft piece of PVC pipe open on one end, closed with a hook embedded on the bottom. I also thought they were used without bait. Shrimp pots can bring them in real easy. When the pots are fishing well I think the octopus will just stay inside and feast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got some nice ones Halibut fishing out by Elisabeth Isl. Fun getting them off the boat made the mistake of putting a live one in a bucket, lol.
    Redleader standing by

Shrimp pots catch octopus like no other. They probably work just as good as octopus traps if you check our traps often enough.

This is the style I am going to try and make.
    I have the materials just need to work out the details and get some made.
    When I asked years ago at Homer ADF&G office they said it wouldn't be a problem setting some pots/traps for them.
    Wouldn't hurt to stop in and ask them again.

Ya, best talk to ADF&G first. I believe the season closed recently (lower Cook Inlet) due to the bycatch quota being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by bonanza View Post
    Ya, best talk to ADF&G first. I believe the season closed recently (lower Cook Inlet) due to the bycatch quota being caught.
    You are talking commercially right?
    There is no dedicated commercial Octopus fishery in Cook Inlet. The by catch of octopus from the commercial pot cod fishery usually equals what they would set for a commercial harvest quota so they let them sell the octopus.
    I believe we are talking about a recreational Octopus fishery for food or bait use.

We've caught a few monsters halibut fishing before..

Does octopus keep frozen very well...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I froze some for 6 months vac packed and it was delicious.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I made some exactly like the one in your picture. No bait, cut slots in the side so water would drain when I pulled it, concrete in the bottom to stop up that end and weigh it down. Tried it a couple of times in PWS with no luck and then kind of forgot about them. F&G wasn't clear on whether or not I could have shrimp pots on board and have these on board, too. They said if the octopus traps were found with any shrimp in them they would count as shrimp pots. Go figure.

Make a few out of the pipe about a dozen set up like the photo , set up like a BUTT long line, no worry about shrimp, an the fish police are out of the photo for now , not sure if it would be night or day fishery , see what happends, light weight an lowest cost , I don't think you could get more than one per pot / trap / pipe, they " eat" each other for most of the year , an you can do it 365 days per year [ no closed season for now ]
    SID

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I made some exactly like the one in your picture. No bait, cut slots in the side so water would drain when I pulled it, concrete in the bottom to stop up that end and weigh it down. Tried it a couple of times in PWS with no luck and then kind of forgot about them. F&G wasn't clear on whether or not I could have shrimp pots on board and have these on board, too. They said if the octopus traps were found with any shrimp in them they would count as shrimp pots. Go figure.
    I asked that exact question, and was told that I could set traps for octopus, or set traps for shrimp, but if setting both types at the same time, you still cannot exceed 5 pots/traps due to the pot restrictions for shrimp. When shrimping, you are allowed 5 pots total.

]is there a pot restriction when doing pots for Octopus or is that for shrimp I don't know any kelp ????? [ at this time ? ]
    SID

Pretty sure that's what they told me. Using that reasoning (or lack thereof), I couldn't have 5 shrimp pots and 5 tin cans connected by a string to balloons on board because then I would be 5 traps over my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    ]is there a pot restriction when doing pots for Octopus or is that for shrimp I don't know any kelp ????? [ at this time ? ]
    SID
    Read what Frostbitten has said in the post directly below yours.
    In PWS it is 5 pots total regardless of what they are targeting. No more than 5 pots per vessel weather they are shrimp or Octopus traps or a combination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast