Thread: Can we shoot from it???

Default Can we shoot from it???

http://www.adn.com/article/20150401/...flections-lake

I could have used one of these when I used to pass shoot snow geese back in the midwest!

Seems like a plan to me. Years back I hunted in WA State. Some guy had a bunch of property and permanent blinds. One was on a slough. Well, the legs were in the slough. The base of the stand itself was 10' above water level. Mostly divers flew through, close to the water, so the shooting was down, not up. It was easy to tell when you were behind the birds due to where the shot hit the water. I was behind a lot.
    ARR

Ha Ha Ha... That only thing u can shoot from that thing is a picture. I go down that road 5-7 times in the winter and 10-12 times in the summer and I never see more than 5 cars parked there at any one time. Kinda seems like alot of wasted money to me. Does somebody know about something thats about to happen there that the rest of us don't know yet? Seems like alot of wasted money and time they has been put into that whole area just to watch the birds and such. Also, about the dog leash law, thats a joke. Nobody there puts there dog on a leash. Our dogs do what we say, they are under control. Thats probably one of the reason people take their dogs there to begin with. Stop trying to improve everything. You just keep inviting more people into our local sweet spots. You ruined the tailrace with your improvments and you will probly end up ruining this spot as well... So, if this is being monitered for quality control, remeber, THIs MY OpIniOn only!!!
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Ha Ha Ha... That only thing u can shoot from that thing is a picture. I go down that road 5-7 times in the winter and 10-12 times in the summer and I never see more than 5 cars parked there at any one time. Kinda seems like alot of wasted money to me. Does somebody know about something thats about to happen there that the rest of us don't know yet? Seems like alot of wasted money and time they has been put into that whole area just to watch the birds and such. Also, about the dog leash law, thats a joke. Nobody there puts there dog on a leash. Our dogs do what we say, they are under control. Thats probably one of the reason people take their dogs there to begin with. Stop trying to improve everything. You just keep inviting more people into our local sweet spots. You ruined the tailrace with your improvments and you will probly end up ruining this spot as well... So, if this is being monitered for quality control, remeber, THIs MY OpIniOn only!!!
    It does kind of make one wonder why this money wasn't spent on education instead......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Anyone taking bets on when the first attempt to burn it down during a river side party will be? During construction, solstice, or mid winter?

I really enjoyed the mis leading statements that the lead contamination was from the shotgun shells. That was the easy cleanup. It was the burnt and broken lead acid batteries that created the significant cleanup actions.

This has probably been discussed somewhere before, but is there any Pittman-Robertson money being used for the Reflection Lake projects? Obviously these projects by their very nature are exclusionary of hunting.

I'm wondering the same thing
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Absolutely no PR funds were in play on the Tower project. No federal or state wildlife agency funds were involved at all. And, for the record, all the partners expect the Tower will be used for many education opportunities. The possibilities are significant.

Thanks raptor man. Where did the $ for the tower come from then? And who are the 'partners'?

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Thanks raptor man. Where did the $ for the tower come from then? And who are the 'partners'?
    Per the and article: http://www.adn.com/article/20150401/...flections-lake

"The bulk of the money, about $177,000, came from two federal grants administered by the state (National Scenic Byways Program and the Recreational Trails Program). Private donors contributing more than $5,000 each included ConocoPhillips, United Sportsman's Alliance and the Knik-Fairview Community Council. Round Earth Enterprises, Wood's consulting firm, and the general contractor North Pacific Erectors provided about $67,000 worth of tower construction labor.

Thanks HikerDan !

The journalist really did a pretty nice job. There is only one real correction I know of;

North Pacific Erectors (NPE) and Round Earth Enterprises (REE)did not construct or provide labor for construction of the Tower. Thefabrication and erection (construction) was all performed by Sampson Steel Co,Anchorage. NPE provided general contracting and bonding services, and REEprovided Project Management.

It would have been nice to see a reference to a recent fishtissue metal toxicology analysis which pointed out that no lead was measured inany of 46 samples taken from rainbow trout, chum and silver salmon orstickleback. After 11 years remediationsolved the lead problems completely. Hopefully it will remain that way. I’msure the fisherman, diving ducks and raptors/ predators will really appreciate it.

The partner list is;
    In-kind services and support
    Alaskans for Palmer Hay Flats, North Pacific Erectors, Round Earth Enterprises

Cash Contributions
    Lowe’s Education and Charitable Trust; Conoco Phillips; Knik-FairviewCommunity Council; Mat-Su Garden Club; AK Ironworkers Local 751; AK Steel ContractorsAssociation; United Sportsman’s Alliance; Federal Recreational Trails Program –through AK DPOR; Federal Scenic Byways Program – through ADOT

Thanks Hiker Dan and Raptor Man.