Thread: Question on exploring remote lakes..

Default Question on exploring remote lakes..

The wife and I are going out on a mission this weekend to explore a few un named remote lakes near my trapline. The two lakes we want to check out happen to be the two biggest lakes in the area and are connected by a small creek and part of a drainage system that eventually (many miles) dump into a large lake system. Both lakes are about the size of Jewel lake in Anchorage and very round. They have the small creek both coming in and going out. My question is where shoud we start out at, the inlet or outlet of the lakes? The lakes in the area are known to be very shallow in fact we did drill a hole in the middle of one of the two lakes last year and found it only to be about 2 feet deep. When the auger went thru we hit mud and TONS, I mean TONS of fresh water shrimp came up thru the hole. We didn't have time that day to do any more drilling but want to spent the time this weekend to explore. I know there are lots of grayling and some burbut in the water system and I am hoping to find some depth in these lakes and find some fish. Thoughts?

Been told to start out with the inlet creeks as the grayling are getting ready for ice out and spawn and are eager to head UP the creeks..

just remember Grayling are not a big bite- r when ice fishing , you could get a couple but don't hold your breath
    SID

Well didn't find the grayling but did find the burbut! Wife had this one pulled thru the ice before I even got rigged up..

Couldn't let her skunk me like usual..

Over all, this lake had very little water in it to fish. We had a 11' hole in the very middle that fanned both north and south down to 5'. The fishable stretch of water was only 40 yards total. I know this because I drilled over a doz more holes and hit mud everywhere eles. Got to remember to get new blades on the auger before next year..

Good job on finding the fish, Steve. In the future you might consider bringing a fish finder with you to find depth of lake. Scrape the snow away off ice, a small amount of water (or antifreeze) on said ice, lay the transducer on ice and turn on the locater. Will shoot depth right thru the ice and save some drilling blades and time. Works great.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Right on cod, I actually had my fish finder with me and I have used your above technique but it only seems to work at the start of freeze up when the ice is smooth and no layers of snow. This time of year the ice is got so many different layers of different stuff that I cant get a good reading.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Right on cod, I actually had my fish finder with me and I have used your above technique but it only seems to work at the start of freeze up when the ice is smooth and no layers of snow. This time of year the ice is got so many different layers of different stuff that I cant get a good reading.
    Yeah, you need clear ice.
    Any frozen overflow or white ice ruins the ability to read through it.
    We are lucky here as we don't generally get too much overflow and I have been able to read bottom through over 5 feet of ice.
    Sure makes life easy when you don't have to drill through that just to find bottom and chew your blades up.