Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about Bear Spray in Alaska ??

Default A question about Bear Spray in Alaska ??

I'm heading up to Alaska in the fall to fish for silver salmon and rainbow trout, and have a question about bear spray.

Is bear spray like sun screen? By that I mean once I'm out on the river do I just spray it on my hands, face, legs and arms like I would with sun screen? How often do I need to reapply it?

Is it really effective at keeping the bears away?

Thanks in advance.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    I'm heading up to Alaska in the fall to fish for silver salmon and rainbow trout, and have a question about bear spray.

Is bear spray like sun screen? By that I mean once I'm out on the river do I just spray it on my hands, face, legs and arms like I would with sun screen? How often do I need to reapply it?

Thanks in advance.
    I believe you need to watch this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDgBY2PbnO4

Good question, and I know of one incident where a user tried it rather than asking.

Think "mace."

Would you spray yourself with mace to keep the bad guys away?

April 1, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    April 1, 2015
    Ha! Awesome.

You don't spray it on yourself. It's a condiment if you do that. You must consume it.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    You don't spray it on yourself. It's a condiment if you do that. You must consume it.
    Oh yeah.....bears LOVE condiments...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I actually know of it happening once on a cleanup crew during the spill. The guy was a real know-it-all French scientist and general PITA to everyone on the crew. Had been bothered by mosquitoes and loved this American bug spray stuff. The crew had a run-in with a bear one day, and the guy got all freaky about it. Grabbed a can of bear spray from their bear guard and dowsed himself with it.

Even after he quick screaming, crying and puking, he was so mad he quit the crew because everyone was laughing at him. Big time celebration in camp that night with the guy gone.

Clearly bear spray is good for getting rid of pests, whether or not it's the best thing going for bears!

I've had the unfortunate experience of having bear mace spray on my abdomen and crotch area. That was a HORRIBLE experience that I don't want to duplicate. I had 1st degree burns in all the wrong places. Surprisingly, showering made it worse. This happened two years ago and I've washed the shirt and pants that were maced probably ten times. I wore the same pants last year not thinking about it since they had been washed numerous times. I just got to work in the morning and my crotch area started to burn. My mind started to race to figure out "why" my crotch was on FIRE. Within thirty minutes it became so unbearable I had to tell my supervisor that my crotch was "uncomfortable" and I had to go home to remedy the situation. I speeded home and jumped in the shower, which made the pain worse. After I got out of the shower I kept asking myself "what the heck is going on?" I was freaking out since I didn't know what was causing the burning sensation. I picked up my pants and smelled the crotch area. Right away I could pick up the smell of bear spray from a year ago on my pants, even after washing them numerous times. I threw those pants right in the trash as well as the shirt that I was wearing when I initially got maced.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I've had the unfortunate experience of having bear mace spray on my abdomen and crotch area. That was a HORRIBLE experience that I don't want to duplicate. I had 1st degree burns in all the wrong places. Surprisingly, showering made it worse. This happened two years ago and I've washed the shirt and pants that were maced probably ten times. I wore the same pants last year not thinking about it since they had been washed numerous times. I just got to work in the morning and my crotch area started to burn. My mind started to race to figure out "why" my crotch was on FIRE. Within thirty minutes it became so unbearable I had to tell my supervisor that my crotch was "uncomfortable" and I had to go home to remedy the situation. I speeded home and jumped in the shower, which made the pain worse. After I got out of the shower I kept asking myself "what the heck is going on?" I was freaking out since I didn't know what was causing the burning sensation. I picked up my pants and smelled the crotch area. Right away I could pick up the smell of bear spray from a year ago on my pants, even after washing them numerous times. I threw those pants right in the trash as well as the shirt that I was wearing when I initially got maced.
    Really...??? All that an you're not gonna tell us how you got it there in the first place...

I've had the unfortunate experience of having bear mace spray on my abdomen and crotch area....
    ..."Balls O' Fire"...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Really...??? All that an you're not gonna tell us how you got it there in the first place...
    I knew somebody would want the full story. I'll elaborate later.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I knew somebody would want the full story.

But of course.......lol

Thanks in advance.

You can get the same results by simply slathering yourself with a ranch style dressing. Also less pain than pepper spray, when it hits something it shouldn't.

Thanks in advance.
    I say yes sir, give it a shot let us know how this turned out for you

Brad - Get the SPF 40. I think it is best overall. Kept the Bears off you on the Nush.

I've had the unfortunate experience of having bear mace spray on my abdomen and crotch area...
    I knew somebody would want the full story. I'll elaborate later.
    Photos, or it didn't happen.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

It took you a full year to figure out you should toss the pants??

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    It took you a full year to figure out you should toss the pants??
    It sounds like it was the first time he had worn those pants since the incident, not like he was wearing them weekly since then and just now had a problem.

I can imagine how bad firecrotch would feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast