Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-10 Variants, what do you use?

Default AR-10 Variants, what do you use?

I'm thinking of getting one and I'm undecided on which one. I want lightweight, accurate and quality and oh yeah... under $1500.00 so I'm looking at an Armalite carbine, DPMS MK-12, Bushmaster ORC or ?? I'd like to have one as a defensive weapon that I can hunt with.

I had a Rock River LAR-308. The weight was OK, till I put 10 round magazine in, and it was then over my AR weight comfort zone. I sold it. (But I would recommend a Rock River .308 for quality). http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=254

I then went with the AR-15 in 6.8 SPC-II and it is everything I wanted from an AR-10 and two pounds lighter.

This is a very good read about the 6.8 SPC-II http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...C-II-as-a-Hunt

I have a Bushmaster BAR-10 that I got several years ago. I also have a good size scope on the rifle to take advantage to the 308 round. This rifle is NOT light by any means, hence the use of a bi-pod. However it does shoot very well and will group a lot better then I can hold. With the loads I have worked up for it, I can easily make good shoots on caribou out to 500 yards. I know that some well scoff at the long shots, but under the right conditions they can be made.

What's your definition of lightweight? I have yet to see one that falls in that category. I had a Bushmaster O.R.C. model and, with a EoTech on it, loaded magazine, was rather heavy.

Sig Sauer 716 works well, but am putting on an EOTECH Holograph with a magnifier on it.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

I'm thinking on keeping it in the 8.5 to 9lbs with the scope. I know that maybe pushing it. My wishful thinking is to have a 308 battle rifle/carbine that can pull double duty.
    Agl4now makes a good point on the 6.8 but I'm trying not to get yet another caliber in the mix.

I've built several dozen Armalite based AR's in .308, .243 and .260 and they all come in at 8.5lbs bare or more. The 16" barrel models have a lot of muzzle blast and noise while the 20" are nicer to shoot they are NOT light or particularly handy. I have one for myself in 16", .308 because the ammo is cheap and available and I've changed just about all my hunting guns to .308 based rounds, i.e., .243,.260, .338 Fed and .358 Win. I beleive they will do anything I need and magnums serve no real purpose for me anymore.

A 6.8 is not a .308 but is a good round out to 300 yds or so for appropriate game. I've chosen the 6.5 Grendel instead along with some 6.8's and I think they are all under 8lbs with scopes and the Grendels are wonderfully nice to shoot.

I think you can have high powered AR-10 style guns but not light ones in my experience. On the other hand, maybe an AR-15 in 5.56 is all you really need most of the time.

Oh, BTW, I just built a .25-45 Sharps with a 20" Poly barrel as a twin to my beloved 6x45...can't wait to get rounds downrange.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Go with a M1A and be happy! JMHO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I run a Sig 716 with Eotech optics and absolutely love it. The Sig is heavy but it is a very solid gun when compared to most. A Ruger SR762 would be probably the best budget gun you could get for your price range...it has most of the bells and whistles and runs any ammo it's fed.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I run a Sig 716 with Eotech optics and absolutely love it. The Sig is heavy but it is a very solid gun when compared to most. A Ruger SR762 would be probably the best budget gun you could get for your price range...it has most of the bells and whistles and runs any ammo it's fed.
    I'm more than a little fond of my Sig 716 too ! It's hard to go wrong with Sig......

I have a Bushmaster 308. It's ok...definitely not the best but it kills moose, and yes...it's heavy. Check out AR15performance and look at their Next Gen (used to be called AR12). It's possible to get a 308 AR under 7lbs...some guys hit 6.

I have the Remington R-25, which is made by DPMS. It weighs 8.75 lbs with a 20" barrel, heavier of course with a scope. It shoots Federal Match ammo 3-4 " @ 300 yards. I've seen them on Gunbroker for $1200.

Talking AR-10 Variants

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    Go with a M1A and be happy! JMHO
    Now your talking. National match barrel, upgrades on other rifle parts. SOCOM good choice , work for me. Went with Springfield armory for 308, 7.62x51, no problems in snow, freezing temps. , most if not all are military trained up there. You know what works and what does not. AS for me, M1A.

How many seconds does it take to remove the bolt on the M1A and replace the fireing pin, reassemble.

Quote Originally Posted by COUTRO View Post
    Now your talking. National match barrel, upgrades on other rifle parts. SOCOM good choice , work for me. Went with Springfield armory for 308, 7.62x51, no problems in snow, freezing temps. , most if not all are military trained up there. You know what works and what does not. AS for me, M1A.

I can do that in under 2 minutes with an M-14/M1-A. Usually I just carry a complete spare bolt assy, ready to go, and just swap bolts. I've only had to do that once in 35 years. Going that way, the change out can be done in about 15 seconds or so. Plus, as for me, I like an M-14 WAY better than the AR platform. That, or an FAL.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    How many seconds does it take to remove the bolt on the M1A and replace the fireing pin, reassemble.
    Very well put!

I have the POF gas piston AR and love it, but that being said, my DSA FAL is my go to fun gun.

I just bought a 16" Palmetto State Armory AR10. I will let you know once I get my hands on it (sometime in June)...no FFL here.

Well.........As a hedge against the possible .223/5.56X45 insane backlash........I just last week bought the Palmetto State Armory PA-10 with the 20" SS upper. As I say it is a "HEDGE".........The quality is "Very" much higher than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I just bought a 16" Palmetto State Armory AR10. I will let you know once I get my hands on it (sometime in June)...no FFL here.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well.........As a hedge against the possible .223/5.56X45 insane backlash........I just last week bought the Palmetto State Armory PA-10 with the 20" SS upper. As I say it is a "HEDGE".........The quality is "Very" much higher than I expected.
    I bought a blemish lower and the SS 16" barrel upper. I've heard nothing but good on PSA and total savings were almost 50% off regular price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast