Thread: Matsu (kinda) outdoor show

Default Matsu (kinda) outdoor show

Forgot to post something the other day. Pretty disappointing show. I went to this one a few years ago and it was pretty good. Normally I go to the show in Anchorage, but I'll be out of town this weekend.

I think the worst thing was 1/2 of the facility was a wedding show, what was there was probably close to 1/2 taken up by non-outdoors booths. Lots of pictures for sale, popcorn, scentsy kind of things, etc.

Didn't see one gun for sale (a few raffles), no fishing rods, no packs, the sportsmans warehouse booth was about the size of my kids' room (not that big), etc.

You'd think that the people putting these shows on would be a little more conscientious about the vendors that they are getting. Maybe it's just more about getting people to pay for booth space and get the money at the door?

In any event, I don't see me going back to that show anytime soon.

I had a booth last year. Didn't bother this year. I agree, too much 'foofoo' crap allowed.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Why invest time and money where there is no return?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think the biggest issue with this show is the timing. It forces vendors to choose between this one and the Great Alaska Sportsman Show (GASS). Some don't like the GASS because it's crowded. For a vendor, it's all about crowds.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I suspect you are right Mike. Timing is poor for the Mat-Su show. They would be better off having it either later in April or earlier (during Rondy). Heck why not right before the holidays? (providing they could get the building)

I have attended both shows as a vendor - the Anch show far and away had more energy, more people, and more opportunity to connect with folks. Another thing that amazes me is that I did not receive any kind of email from Tony (Matsu show) asking if I wanted another booth this year. I would think he would be contacting every outdoor type business he could, to get better (outdoor genre) vendor attendance.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

The show was disappointment. I had a booth there years ago and got paper work for this year and am glad I did bit. Over the years I just couldn't justify the money with no return.

I was there Saturday too. Didn't take long to go up and down the aisles. I purposefully went to talk to a vendor or I probably wouldn't have gone at all. Girlfriend was looking for a new 357, to no avail. Few knife vendors, but not much in the form of fishing poles & guns.

Agree, this year's show was disappointing. I do question others about the timing of the show, however. As a smaller show, I'd think it would be an opportunity for (someone that works both shows) to get their booth set up and work out any "bugs", then when they hit the "big time" they'd hit the ground running. One of the things that always bothered me when I went to the Anchorage show (before the weekend) was the amount of booths that were unfinished or just not ready to present their product to show goers.
    Hopefully next year will be better.

Well, what's funny about it is that they were adverstising it as an Outdoor show and seperately an RV show. There was like 7 campers and only 1 was unlocked. The charters had some good deals but I didn't get what was with the lotion ladies though. Would have been better with some hunting and fishing equipment there.