Thread: UHMW Pieces

Default UHMW Pieces

I'm thinking about building some small things for the boat out of left over UHMW pieces. Do you pretty much have to use screws to attach it to itself or is there any kind of glue that will take to the stuff?

Thanks.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Cac plastics in wasilla would know.
    Bk

I have not had any luck gluing UHMW, its thermally unstable and the expansion and contraction had broke all of the bonds I've tried. Best luck I had was to predilection and screw together. So stick my finish piece to whatever I have had good results with 3M VHB double sided tape. Not cheap but will change anyone's idea on how a tape will hold. Wish I had better advice good luck on the projects!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'm thinking about building some small things for the boat out of left over UHMW pieces. Do you pretty much have to use screws to attach it to itself or is there any kind of glue that will take to the stuff?

Thanks.....
    Alaska rubber will know. 562-2200 ask for scott. We don't stock it anymore because the shelf life is wayyyyyy too short but he will point you in the right direction

Yhea, 3M VHB. Go to youtube and type in 3M VHB, there are several videos. One of a demo putting aluminum pieces together and another from 3M showing all their different VHB tapes for different applications. I have some of the 4941 just ordered some 5952 for an new mod I'm going to make on the boat. Pretty impressive stuff.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

I think screws would be the most reliable depending on the application, I recently tried using some 3M 5200 Polyurethane to attach a piece to some aluminum and while it took a little prying to get it off, it was definitely not bonded, the 5200 did fine on the aluminum but UHMW is some slick stuff.

Some of the double sided tapes are amazing, we used some from CR Laurance for the window frames and it was some sticky ****......!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I use an extrusion welder with UHMW filler rod, gluing will fail. It can expand up to 3%, so can pull screws unless you oversize the holes, and not tighten to tight.