Thread: Ram mount for Ipad

Default Ram mount for Ipad

I was wondering if anyone is using an ipad on their boat and what kind of mount they are using. I have seen a few online, but I am looking for real life experiences. I am looking for something to mount in the cockpit of my boat, so I can see the display while on the deck drifting,trolling,etc.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I've been using an iPad on my boat as a chartploter for three years- I use a Ram mount that bolts one end to my dash and a suction cup on the other end, which I suction to the back of the Lifeproof box on my iPad. I don't suspend it in the air, but rest the bottom edge on a rubber non-slip mat strip. I also Velcro my Blurtooth GPS antenna on the Ram arm and installed a double 12v USB plug at the base to charge them both. I've been in some snotty stuff a few times and with the jet foot on the bottom of the boat she can pound pretty hard in a chop, but I haven't lost suction yet. Probably would make more sense if I had a picture- if I get a chance I'll see if I can find any.
    ~Beer Drinkin don't do half the harm of love makin~. Old New England Proverb
    * 1991 24' Almar Jetline Cabin-cruiser * 2004 16' Lund * 1955 17' Grumman Canoe
    - MMSI# 338169948

I us my IPad as a back up to my main plotter just for the novelty and I have a Navionics Ap on it the works good. my IPad is in an Otter Box case. I use the ram mount that has the spring mount that goes around the Otter Box to hold the IPad. The other end is a suction cup to mount to the dash, or any smooth surface. The suction cup and the retention head hold very good. What I like about the suction cup end is you can move the mount to different areas or different vehicles. I uses the IPad and mount in my Polaris Ranger sometimes. The Ram mount suction cup holds better than I ever thought it would, but then Ram Mount systems are some of the best.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Are you guys using your Ipads for navigation? Wifi thru your GPS or what? I have a Garmin 740S but it isn't Wifi compatible but I use my Ipad to search other fishing spots since it's easier to navigate.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Are you guys using your Ipads for navigation? Wifi thru your GPS or what? I have a Garmin 740S but it isn't Wifi compatible but I use my Ipad to search other fishing spots since it's easier to navigate.
    I plan on using an iPad for a sonar display using WiFi from my 741xs.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Right on. Wish I could have that capability with the 740

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Yes, I use mine for all my navigation. After I sold my last boat and picked up my Almar, I decided just to use the iPad instead of getting another chartploter. I use the Dual Bluetooth GPS antenna so I don't need any phone or internet service, and I really like the iSailor app for the plotter/charts. Extremely fast, very clear, and can dream and plan my next trip anywhere. I have the same programs on my iPhone so I always have a back-up with me just in case. My wife actually gave me another iPad recently, and plan on getting the Raymarine Bluetooth CHIRP down sonar a try this summer. Another nice thing with the iPad is I have all my manuals, regulations, references at an easy access- no need to dig out my waterproof box under the seat full of manuals for a quick look-up. Tide app. Always have a camera too! Tons of uses.
    ~Beer Drinkin don't do half the harm of love makin~. Old New England Proverb
    * 1991 24' Almar Jetline Cabin-cruiser * 2004 16' Lund * 1955 17' Grumman Canoe
    - MMSI# 338169948

I use an iPad and the Dual Bluetooth GPS as a backup to my Furuno. Also nice to be able to pass around the boat for other people to see how we are tracking. The only issue that I have run into is that with the 12v USB charger currently in my boat it can't keep up with charge. If I run it for an length of time the battery on the iPad will drop even though its plugged in.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

have you changed out your usb charger to a higher output one? most are only rated for cell phones....that Bluetooth ant. sounds slick
    ive got Time Zero & Navionics on my ipad....it nice to play around with them while leaving the main chartplotter alone