Thread: Spring Bear newbie

Default Spring Bear newbie

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm looking to hunt black bear this spring. I live in Chugiak. I don't mind driving a few hours in either direction and I have an ATV but I'm also willing to walk a little ways. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hope Ak, contact Agl4now on here. He knows where there are lots and sees them right from his cabin every day.
    Bk

Hi Polaris and welcome to the forum!

I don't know what you have planned for your bear, when you connect, but make sure you know the ins and outs of skinning and taking proper care of the hide before you go. Too many people go hunting and forget that it is nice to know what to do (and how to do it) before hand. I have a free skinning DVD at the shop, if you need or want to learn how to skin a bear correctly. Or feel free to call if you want.

357-7847
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Study study study! I got my first one last year and let me tell you...all that studying paid off big time! Like JuliW said make sure you know how to skin the hide and how to take care of it after you get it out. As for getting them down here in Cordova we go sit our butts on a log and glass a nice grass mountain side, or this year I'm doing a bait station. Trying to bag one with a bow at 20 yards! More then likely it will be a 30 yard shot but 20 would be oh so sweet! Best advice I can give though is study study study and get out in the woods! Good luck!

Search the forums. A lot to learn here. I also picked up a lot from local books and DVDs. As a self taught hunter having a good base knowledge will get you a long ways.

Quote Originally Posted by 310chmo View Post
    Search the forums. A lot to learn here. I also picked up a lot from local books and DVDs. As a self taught hunter having a good base knowledge will get you a long ways.
    Yes, having a general idea of what to expect will "help" for sure. But there's no getting around boots on the ground experience to teach you the major lessons.

I'll never forget my first sheep hunt.......even though I/we were successful, what a learning experience THAT ended up being........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks a lot everyone. After reading the forums on here and reading up on it I think I have a general understanding of what to expect.

I think anywhere around where you are at, its going to be baiting or hiking. For hiking, glass slopes, look for teeny bright black spots up high, then get a ridge between you and them and get above them. Sheep hunt practice.... Of course, I keep hoping one will come to the burn barrel, but it'll probably be a brownie that'll want to eat me for a snack.