Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kuiu, love it or hate it?

Default Kuiu, love it or hate it?

I'm in the search for new light weight rain gear for this year's sheep hunt. My last set of gortex got trashed so I'm in the market for a new set.
    For those of you that are using kuiu, how do you like it? Anyone been able to compare it with Sitka gear? I know I like kuiu's price over Sitka. And it looks like kuiu is coming out with a rain set top and bottom that will be right at a pound for the set.
    So live it or hate it, let me know

Do it. You'll never look back. You might wait a bit to get your gear, but it's worth it. You can spend more, but you can't buy better.

Love it. I've had their Chugach Gear for four seasons now and have been more than pleased. I added their super down jacket and pants last year and will never leave those behind, either.

Ditto to what others have said. I started with Sitka gear, but changed over to KUIU several years ago. The quality and price far exceeds Sitka in my opinion. My daughter got me the new Kenai jacket for Christmas last year. I look forward to field testing it next month for spring bear. The only thing I don't like is that KUIU keeps improving their product line pretty much every year, which is great, but it also pushes me to have to control myself and not upgrade when what I have is still holding-up just fine.

Love it! I have quite a bit of KUIU clothing including the Chugach NX pants and jacket, and can't say enough good things it. I know that some folks have had a lot of issues with getting their stuff but, fortunately I'm not one of those people. I back ordered a pair of SD pants a few months ago and it took about 3 weeks to get them but, that's the only thing that I've ever had to wait on. For what it's worth, I don't have any experience with anything other than their clothing.

Don't love it. I found ALL of their pieces lacking in durability. I'll leave it at that because I'm not interested in typing all that much.

I should say All of the pieces I've owned. Gloves, spindrift, attack pant (best piece) chugach rainwear, merino base

Love all of my Kuiu clothing items, except maybe the neck gaiter since it's too short. The Chugach NX rain gear is really nice and breathes excellent. They have a newer, super light Ultra NX raingear coming out here soon too, but durability might be an issue if you plan to be bushwacking. The standard Chugach NX gear has been exceptional and I haven't babied it.

I love my Chugach jacket/pants, had it for a couple seasons with no complaints.

Love it. I think the best part about the product is its range of motion. I have had a lot of different camo and this by far is the best for comfort and movement. I have the guide jacket and pants. its like wearing gym shorts. not gonna rip the croch out of these. The insulation layers are well worth the money as well. super light weight and they fold up into a small pocket . as far as durability goes, any pair of pants is going to rip if you catch the wrong limb, stick, rock. I haven't had any problems but its a chance we take spending a lot of money on any product.

Love it!!!!!!

Chugach NX rain pants and jacket. Attack pants are awesome. Bought the gators off the forum last year, they are great and the gloves have been a big hit.

Spend the $$ for quality, it pays.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Well, i figure I'll be the non-conformist. Dislike it, i wouldn't wear kuiu if they paid me too.

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Well, i figure I'll be the non-conformist. Dislike it, i wouldn't wear kuiu if they paid me too.
    Care to explain yourself?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

My first experience with Kuiu was not a good one.

Three of us went out on a short little jaunt back in the hills after a spike-fork (and possibly a ram) last fall. One of them had his brand new set of Yukon jacket/pants, and i was trying out my Chugach NX jacket for the first time in the field. The third day of the trip we ran in to some pretty good rain as far as Alaska weather goes. This is the first time i put on the Chugach NX. My buddy had been wearing the Yukon set the whole day. After about two hours of getting dumped on and coming to grips with the fact that the small band of rams we had spotted the day before were out of reach, we decided to head back down to base camp. By this time, my buddy in the Yukon gear had already stated that his shoulders were feeling wet. Fast forward to almost three hours later and a 3800' descent, with the last 300' or so busting alders, we emerged at the creek below.
    The rain had never let up the whole time coming down, and we were both more than aware, because we were both soaked. His Yukon Jacket had completely bled through around the shoulders and base of the hood, and while not quite that bad, my Chugach Jacket had not fared much better. I was definitely wet throughout my shoulders and arms area, down to my base layer in a couple spots.

Now i've told several people this story and a few of them have attributed the gear failure to walking through all of the alders we did on the way down (keep in mind though that my buddy was already feeling wetness in the shoulder area before that). All of them were quite surprised though as they had been using Kuiu gear with no problems for quite some time.

To Kuiu's credit though, after contacting them, they insisted that we must have had a defected set. They ended up fully replacing my buddy's jacket and pants for no charge at all. They also replaced my Chugach with a Yukon at my request (still have not received it yet though, due to back order issues). So needless to say, i was very impressed with their customer service.

Moral of the story - In my opinion, "breathable" never equals FULLY waterproof. There is some good gear out there, but when it comes to long periods of time in the rain, nothing will keep you as dry as good ol' rubber rain gear.

Headed to Unimak in May. I will definitely have my Coldfront Jacket/Pants, but please believe i will have a set of Helly Hansens in camp as well.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    but durability might be an issue if you plan to be bushwacking.
    Really...???...."IF"...???

Sorry, but imo, if you ain't bushwacking (at least at some point while you're out there) you ain't huntin'.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've had all my stuff for 3 or 4 years now and had zero durability issues or problems with my rain gear leaking. All my stuff is Canadian made, so there may be a difference with the quality now that they've moved production to China. I'd still buy their gear, I'm looking pretty hard at their Icon 7200 Pack.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I'm in the search for new light weight rain gear for this year's sheep hunt. My last set of gortex got trashed so I'm in the market for a new set.
    For those of you that are using kuiu, how do you like it? Anyone been able to compare it with Sitka gear? I know I like kuiu's price over Sitka. And it looks like kuiu is coming out with a rain set top and bottom that will be right at a pound for the set.
    So live it or hate it, let me know
    Tony......I don't know if it's still going on or not, but last week I noticed that Sweeny's had their camo Impertech on sale for 40% off.....

(I guess you can see where I'm going with that bit of info).........lol

I like it. Has worked good for me. Though, how they go about selling their stuff is a joke though. Shouldn't have to get on a 6 month waiting list for a pair of pants.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Tony......I don't know if it's still going on or not, but last week I noticed that Sweeny's had their camo Impertech on sale for 40% off.....

(I guess you can see where I'm going with that bit of info).........lol
    I've got a set of the impertech and it has been good to me for several years. I'm trying to cut weight as much as possible for the mountains my hellys are a bit heavier and bulkier than I'd like them to be. However I'm always dry in them

I have the chugach nx jacket and sitka stormfront jacket.

Its not quite as waterproof as the stormfront. But the price and fit are better of the kuiu for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I've got a set of the impertech and it has been good to me for several years. I'm trying to cut weight as much as possible for the mountains my hellys are a bit heavier and bulkier than I'd like them to be. However I'm always dry in them
    As much as i like to cut weight was much as the next guy, it's more important to me to know that I will be dry. I took my Impertechs on my goat hunt a couple years ago.....glad I did as it knows how to rain down near Seward.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast