Thread: Which cooler for your freighter ??

Default Which cooler for your freighter ??

What kind of cooler (for lunch and drinks) are you folks using?? I have been seeing these soft sided coolers....are they any good and what brand would you get .Thanks !!

I have a NRS soft side cooler and it really is just a padded duffel bag...sucks as a cooler. Does not even compare to a cheapo Coleman for keeping stuff cold. Gets a ”worst buy award".

I heard that Yeti makes a collapsable cooler now. Spendy, but i bet they will work better than other attempts.

Might be worth checking out.

Hard to beat a cheap igloo 48-80 qt model though, with block ice for the week.

lb

Here's a field test by Outside Magazine of the Yeti softsided cooler against common cheapos.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1785621...pper-worth-300

Larry

I haven't used the new Yeti and probably won't because of the price but for several years I've used the polarbearcooler.com with great results. The size 48 will hold 50 pounds of frozen fish and my two days summer travel from Baja to Delta finds me with still frozen fish. Baggage handlers haven't damaged one yet.

About November they have a 2 for 1 sale and I order two more delivered to friends in SD where I fill with pheasants and ribeyes for the trip home.

We freeze our bacon and egg beaters and other groceries for flight into moose camp and return with it full of moose meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    Here's a field test by Outside Magazine of the Yeti softsided cooler against common cheapos.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1785621...pper-worth-300

Larry
    Thanks for the link Larry. Looks like if durability is a main issue the Yeti is the way to go..

We use a more standard solid sided cooler on our trips. Much easier to pack around without crushing whatever food you have inside (eggs, etc...). You can pack around and on top of without problems. You can then put anything fragile in the cooler for the trip back to keep from potential damage. The side benefit is that you can use it as a seat and/or table when in camp.

Hard cooler by far, a chair or table an not flat like the soft side SID