Thread: Hunting Insurance

Question Hunting Insurance

Wtih all the hunts that go on all over Alaska during the year in all types of weater ,wind,snow,rain,fog ETC and a lot of the hunts require fly ins , short landings on river banks or small lakes soft ground , boat rides in bays , up rivers or creeks .
    Walking in many miles crossing creeks busting brush to climb mountains with loose shale ETC to go after the elusive sheep .
    Floating rivers and streams (or Float Pulling )hundreds of miles away from home for days on end not knowing whats around the bend, sweepers ,log jams Bears ET.

My question is this ????
    Before you leave to go on the hunt do you make out a will or take out extra short term insurance for the duration of the hunt ???

I have not really thought about it untill lately .
    My daughter asked out of the blue if I was covered in case of an accident ???
    I do have a few hunts that are fly in this year .
    I am covered for insurance but I have not thought about a will , guess I should .

What do you guys do ??

All my son wants to know is where I keep my combo number for the Gun safe . He said he could hawk the guns and live a very nice life style for a few years !!!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Mark

Death is guaranteed for all. The question is timing.

A will or trust is a basic responsibility. When done early, the timing thing is primarily covered.

Later, if and when circumstances change, codicils keep the will updated.

The lack of a will invites the courts. They'll eat up what you might want to leave for others.

I bought some Air-Evac and medical insurance (as well as trip insurance) when I went to Zimbabwe, but don't buy that here. The air charter/carriers are required to carry an obscene amount of insurance, plus your own health insurance should cover most of it. If you need an evac out of the field, I guess that could be a costly emergency, but I still don't buy the insurance for that. I don't carry a cell phone or satellite phone when hunting, so I'm not sure how I would contact someone before scheduled pick-up anyway.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DPhillips View Post
    .....The air charter/carriers are required to carry an obscene amount of insurance, plus your own health insurance should cover most of it.....
    I got evacuated once due to serious injury. I have Blue Cross health insurance. The bill showed the helicopter evacuation costed over $11,000.

Blue Cross sent me several questionaires asking questions that clearly indicated that they sought somebody else who had some measure of liability: Was I in a motor vehicle when the accident occurred? Was I on private property when the accident occurred? How did the injury occur? Etc.

They finally paid, but the deductible was about $1,000.

....I don't carry a cell phone or satellite phone when hunting, so I'm not sure how I would contact someone before scheduled pick-up anyway.
    I've wanted to carry a sat phone when afield, but haven't been willing to pay the service charge for something I would use so rarely. I should strongly consider renting for such occasions.

It can save your life. A radio phone in a remote lodge probably saved mine.

I can see the insurance company trying to find a way to make someone else pay. Seems like they do that no matter what the cost is...

The deductible does suck.

Mark

I was lucky to get evacuated. And after seeing that $11,000 helicopter bill (not to mention doctor, hospital, etc.), I didn't even flinch on that deductible.

I'm at a greater risk of serious injury and death when I drive to the grocery store than when hunting.

My determination to provide for my family isn't contingent on me being alive. I've seen to it.