Thread: aimpoint on super redhawk

Default aimpoint on super redhawk

thinking of putting an aimpoint on my 7.5' super redhawk.

any advice on mounting it? it came with the ruger rings, which I can't see being a big help with an aimpoint.looking at the H1 micro or close to it.

I know a lot of big name big bore handgns hunters that swear by their ultradots for price and quaility.
    http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_002.htm
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've got one on my 9.5 SRH. They are amazing. It's so quick and accurate. I've got a 4MOA dot which I was worries about but I'm glad I got it. Beer cans get a little tough after a hundred yards but for hunting situations it works great. I use Ruger rings that are 30mm to mount my scope. It's an older Aimpoint, 9000SC, but has always served me well.

I have a Trijicon Reflex II on my Ruger Super Black hawk, that I have use for hunting. It had the 12 MOA triangle which was a little different to get used to but, I have found that it works well. What is really nice is to have everything in a single view plane. The other plus is 'no batteries', but the down side is the 'cost'!

I had an Aimpoint H1 on a 500 S&W. The sight itself is nearly indestructible, very lightweight, easy to use, long battery life, etc. I'm sure you are familiar with the specifications. However, the mount itself is aluminum, and is held to the base by a very small contact area. I shot this sight loose three times at the range using heavy loads. I think the aluminum just gets beat up and bent against the steel of the base on the gun. The sight comes with a tool to tighten everything. It seems that the tool is designed to fail at around 10 inch pounds so that nothing can be over tightened. I did break the tool trying to tighten the sight more after I shot it loose. I did use loctite on the screws, There are four that mount the Weaver style base plate to the sight and then just the one screw that mounts the base to the gun.
    I have switched to the ultradot, I think it is 30 mm. It is not quite as quick on target, and is not parallax free, but it hasn't moved. I think this is because there are two rings and two attachment points for the base. The Aimpoint 9000SC, mentioned by woundedknee, is mounted with two rings and would be a great choice as well. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by droller; 03-31-2015 at 11:31. Reason: spelling, oops