Thread: MITTENS.......what's used on the slope.......??? Not Gloves.

Default MITTENS.......what's used on the slope.......??? Not Gloves.

I am in the market for large warm MITTENS. Request advise.

Can't go wrong with Wiggy's.

Nice fancy ones are not usually used. Ones like the link with a wool liner are more common. Seen some nice ones similar at B&J's in Anchorage.

http://www.legionsafety.com/refrigiw...ated-mitt.html

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Kinda depends on what you are going to use them for.

I lived on the North slope for many years. The best mittens for extreme cold and snowmaching are the local made fur mittens.

I also liked the military arctic mittens. I used the large size with a lighter pair of gloves inside. There is room for chemical heat packs and the dummy cords keeps you from loosing your mitten(s) when you take them off. You can get them with synthetic or wool liners. I like the synthetic.

I have bought many on Ebay for $15. - $35. including shipping to Alaska. They run about $50. - $70 at local surplus stores.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-4B-Arctic-...item3f49ef7b11

Gotta have those snot patches
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Warm isn't cheap, i use a set of RAB endurance down mittens. i think OR and and marmot both have a set that are primaloft if you wanna go that direction all in the 100-250 range.

I have bad circulation in my hands and they get cold easily. The last few years I have been using a set of beaver fur mittens with a liner made of sheared beaver and they are extremely warm. They have held up great and I bought a pair that was just a bit big so I can wear a set of liner gloves inside of them so my hands are not bare when I take them out. I can also put a set of hand warmers in them if I really need to. Even as cold as my hands get it has to be at least zero before they feel like they are too warm. They're bulky but when I wear these out I'll be buying another pair. I use them pretty hard and they are holding up great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I have bad circulation in my hands and they get cold easily. The last few years I have been using a set of beaver fur mittens with a liner made of sheared beaver and they are extremely warm. They have held up great and I bought a pair that was just a bit big so I can wear a set of liner gloves inside of them so my hands are not bare when I take them out. I can also put a set of hand warmers in them if I really need to. Even as cold as my hands get it has to be at least zero before they feel like they are too warm. They're bulky but when I wear these out I'll be buying another pair. I use them pretty hard and they are holding up great so far.
    Where are you buying them...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Where are you buying them...???
    A lady by the name of Sue Moore, she is down in clam gulch and owns howling wolf furs. I have had her make some other fur stuff for me and she makes some great looking stuff. I'm going to have her make another hat for me when I get some stuff back from the tannery.

Prospector (in Fairbanks) used to sell some leather choppers with a thinsulite and fleece sewn in liner that are very warm and only cost about $40. I got a pair large enough to put a heavy glove inside of it, and it's good down to -60F.

Don't know if they still sell them. Because they are leather, they last a long time. I bought mine ten years ago.

If you are in the market for a $120 mitten and aren't a mountain climber looking to shave ounces, definitely you want to check out a pair of Apocalypse Design Musher's Mitts. They are warm, durable and local. Absolutely an excellent product. Probably the warmest mittens I've worn that weren't made of fur.

One brand used on the slope is Refridgiwear. They come in glove and mitten styles and are sold at Army Navy store as well as probably several more that offer gear for the slope. http://www.refrigiwear.com/shop-products/gloves/mitts
    PC gag in place.

Wait for October and the annual AFN convention. Go on the last day and get a good deal on some seal fur mittens. I love mine.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Wait for October and the annual AFN convention. Go on the last day and get a good deal on some seal fur mittens. I love mine.
    What's a good deal..........a hundred bucks...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

^^^Around $100 depending on complexity. Some have beautiful bead work and are more. My wife got a plain set for me for $90 a few years ago. Just ring seal fur with beaver trimmed cuffs. Same mittens were $300 on day one.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Can't go wrong with Refrigiwear

Refrigerwear are good. I've worked winters wearing the 5 finger and mittens as cold as it gets up there. They are only 40$ or less a pair. I wouldn't take a chance on some 1-200$ pair of fancy gloves. The refers work and are plentiful. You can buy a cotton liner to fit in them also.