Thread: Advice on buying a boat

Default Advice on buying a boat

I posted this question in the power boating forum as well.

Hello, I am looking at buying a boat that I can freight out to my remote property with my snow machine. I'm not real sure what type of boat I want yet and I'm looking for some advice from someone with experience. Our property is located about 20 miles from the road system. We are located on a large body of water that is about 10-15 miles long and a few miles wide. It is over 100 feet deep and it has lake trout, burbot, whitefish etc. I know the winds can be very strong. So my question is what would be a good boat and motor to get for this situation. Bear in mind I have a family of five. The property is remote and everything would have to be brought in by snow machine. Also bear in mind it is a big lake and the winds can be strong. I was kind of thinking about a 14-16 ft boat and about a 10 hp outboard motor. But any words of wisdom or advice would be appreciated. Should I get a V-bottom, flat bottom? Should I get a bigger motor? What brands are good for the money? Ideally I would like to keep my price range somewhere in the $2,000- $4,000 range if at all possible. Buying used is definitely preferred.

You need at least a 16' and 25/30 hp motor if all will be making trips. The Lund V with flat bottom work well. I use a 14' Lund with 20hp two folks and dog and space is tight. You might look at the 18'/20' canoes.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Heres your package.....price is right too!
    https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4953854147.html
    Bk

Perfect BK! Just set the boat on the ground. Trailer on top of the boat and tow it into the cabin. That boat combo will serve you well. And a GREAT PRICE! I would on that one if in your shoes.

Tried to pm him, but box is full.
    Shouldn't be around long at that price.
    Hope you get it Jack!!
    Bk

Especially this time of year. Those older Suzuki 2 strokes were not very common up here in alaska. However they are great motors. Very durable and dependable. And those 35 's are strong running motors. Good luck Jack. That would fit your needs very very well.

Your best bet is a 16' to 18' flat bottom with a 35-40hp. Lunds are a popular boat. The best person to ask is Alexander, he is a freighter and freights all kinds of 4wheelers, side by sides and vehicles.
    JOHN

John,
    A flat bottom will beat you to death if it gets choppy at all. Don't think he is hauling freight like Alexander. I read the desire as fishing and family cruising, thus a vee bottom would be easier on the back and safer for the family. He mentions waves and wind, I wouldn't want a jon boat with that combo.
    Bk

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Heres your package.....price is right too!
    https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4953854147.html
    Bk
    Thanks BKmail. I tried to send you a rep, but message said I need to spread some around first.

Bummer. Looks like it just got sold. That went fast.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    John,
    A flat bottom will beat you to death if it gets choppy at all. Don't think he is hauling freight like Alexander. I read the desire as fishing and family cruising, thus a vee bottom would be easier on the back and safer for the family. He mentions waves and wind, I wouldn't want a jon boat with that combo.
    Bk
    Yeah, I guess I read it wrong, my bad
    JOHN