Thread: Advice on buying a boat

Default Advice on buying a boat

Hello, I am looking at buying a boat that I can freight out to my remote property with my snow machine. I'm not real sure what type of boat I want yet and I'm looking for some advice from someone with experience. Our property is located about 20 miles from the road system. We are located on a large body of water that is about 10-15 miles long and a few miles wide. It is over 100 feet deep and it has lake trout, burbot, whitefish etc. I know the winds can be very strong. So my question is what would be a good boat and motor to get for this situation. Bear in mind I have a family of five. The property is remote and everything would have to be brought in by snow machine. Also bear in mind it is a big lake and the winds can be strong. I was kind of thinking about a 14-16 ft boat and about a 10 hp outboard motor. But any words of wisdom or advice would be appreciated. Should I get a V-bottom, flat bottom? Should I get a bigger motor? What brands are good for the money? Ideally I would like to keep my price range somewhere in the $2,000- $4,000 range if at all possible. Buying used is definitely preferred.

Think much bigger, more power, somewhere in the neighborhood of 21' or greater and 125+hp (prop) semi-V or V-bottom. Put what you have in mind... from your mind, it is woefully inadequate for what you describe, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Think much bigger, more power, somewhere in the neighborhood of 21' or greater and 125+hp (prop) semi-V or V-bottom. Put what you have in mind... from your mind, it is woefully inadequate for what you describe, IMO.
    Thanks for the advice, but realistically speaking I am not hauling a 21 foot boat by snow machine on a 14 foot freight sled. It's not gonna happen. I understand what you are saying, but a 21 foot boat is not reasonable for what I am trying to do. Not only that but I don't have a million dollars sitting around either. Like I said before I need something more affordable and at least small enough to haul in with a snowmachine 20 miles.

After looking around craiglist and Alaska's list I am kind of leaning towards something like a 14-16 foot Smokercraft, Klamath, or Lund. Something like that I think. Just not really sure which is best for the money and what style of boat to buy. I might get a bigger motor than 10 hp though. Perhaps a 15-25 hp.

I'm gonna blow you budget also with my pick. But a 20' Bayrunner with atleast a 50 4 stroke on it would fit that bill perfectly. Would be very easy to skid that out in the winter behind a snowmachine. And would seaworthy enough to handle the water you will see on a lake that size. Those are great boats. They were extremely popular along the cook inlet beaches before they started launching with tractors for much the same reason. They are about the most seaworthy boat you could launch of the beach with a pick up. Most ran 50 ' s detuned to 35 to be kenai river legal. A 50 would push them quite well. I had one. Later I put a 90 Honda on mine once I swore off the river for good. I liked the boat much better on the big water with the 90. Night and day better handling.

Now if you want to get back closer to your budget, I would look for a 16-18' Klamath with an older 2 stroke on it. Still a pretty **** good boat. Just need to keep your eye on the weather a bit closer.

I have yet to meet the guy that wishes he had bought a smaller boat. Especially in your case. I'd had to have to haul in another one and most likely the smaller one back out to sell. Try to buy the correct one the first time around.

When you go to tow your boat in, don't load it on a trailer. Your boat IS the trailer. They skid along nicely. Sounding like a 16 bayrunner or Klamath is what will fit your bill with an old 25 2 stroke on it. Just be VERY watchful on the weather. You want a welded hull if you want it to last forever. Or an old 18' Lund isn't a bad choice either. But the rivets will start leaking in time if they aren't now. Add a bilge pump and floors to keep things dry. Good luck with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    When you go to tow your boat in, don't load it on a trailer. Your boat IS the trailer. They skid along nicely. Sounding like a 16 bayrunner or Klamath is what will fit your bill with an old 25 2 stroke on it. Just be VERY watchful on the weather. You want a welded hull if you want it to last forever. Or an old 18' Lund isn't a bad choice either. But the rivets will start leaking in time if they aren't now. Add a bilge pump and floors to keep things dry. Good luck with your choice.
    Good advice ultra rider. I appreciate it. Sounds like good advice. I hadn't thought about just dragging the boat through the snow and ice. Don't you think that would hurt the hull? 20 miles through snow and ice seems like a lot of abuse.

I would go with a 16 or 18 foot Lund and drop a 30 or 40 hp 4-stroke. Not the flat bottom Lund, but the SSV or similar. Yes they are riveted but they are tough, light, and the rivets are easy to replace if you need to. I grew up running around S.E. Alaska in Lunds and they are tough to beat. If you have snow on the trail out, I wouldn't hesitate to drag it out, just go easy and don't load it up with extra weight. The 16 wide would be my choice but they can be hard to find. The 14 is fairly common but 5 adults is right at its max.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    I would go with a 16 or 18 foot Lund and drop a 30 or 40 hp 4-stroke. Not the flat bottom Lund, but the SSV or similar. Yes they are riveted but they are tough, light, and the rivets are easy to replace if you need to. I grew up running around S.E. Alaska in Lunds and they are tough to beat. If you have snow on the trail out, I wouldn't hesitate to drag it out, just go easy and don't load it up with extra weight. The 16 wide would be my choice but they can be hard to find. The 14 is fairly common but 5 adults is right at its max.
    Great advice it will get you where you need to go and home again.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    Great tips full boat. Thanks.

I'd go with what Fullboat said. With the number of people in your family, don't go with anything less than 16ft or under 35HP and definitely not a Flat Bottom Jon boat... Go for a good sturdy V hull.

Like everyone has said do not skimp on size so much.16' to 18' will give you a little better margin of safety with 5 people. Do not know what size these 5 are but even if they are small now each year you have 5 that are a little bigger.

16ft RHI. You need to have a boat that even full of water will not sink. I took a lund and put inflated boat finders around the sides so it would not sink.

Jack,
    Posted your desired boat on your other post.......better move quick I think! Craigs ad for you to follow up on.
    Bk

Easy to freight in boat groom a trail several widths wide, a few days before your going to haul in boat. The trail will have time to set up also a second machine in case you have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hello, I am looking at buying a boat that I can freight out to my remote property with my snow machine. I'm not real sure what type of boat I want yet and I'm looking for some advice from someone with experience. Our property is located about 20 miles from the road system. We are located on a large body of water that is about 10-15 miles long and a few miles wide. It is over 100 feet deep and it has lake trout, burbot, whitefish etc. I know the winds can be very strong. So my question is what would be a good boat and motor to get for this situation. Bear in mind I have a family of five. The property is remote and everything would have to be brought in by snow machine. Also bear in mind it is a big lake and the winds can be strong. I was kind of thinking about a 14-16 ft boat and about a 10 hp outboard motor. But any words of wisdom or advice would be appreciated. Should I get a V-bottom, flat bottom? Should I get a bigger motor? What brands are good for the money? Ideally I would like to keep my price range somewhere in the $2,000- $4,000 range if at all possible. Buying used is definitely preferred.
    What purpose will this boat serve?
    I don't have a lot of boating experience but I have a little. especially since I have been researching boats for the last three years. I'd recommend getting a 17-20 footer with 35 hp motor. Would it be underpowered? Possibly. Would it get the job done? More than likely.

I hunted this past season out of a 21' jon with a 30 hp 2 stroke. It wasn't fast, but it hauled my partner and I, a moose, and our camping gear about 50 river miles. We were on the Yukon for a portion of those miles.

have you thought about inflatable?