Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Near vision goin' bad

Default Near vision goin' bad

I'm sure many of you are experiencing this with age. I wear cheaters. There are many of my rifles that I cannot get a crisp sight on the rear sight post due to deteriorating vision. Front sight no problem. Am I doomed to put a scope on all my rifles. Far vision still great. Any tips?
    Thanks, Bob
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    I'm sure many of you are experiencing this with age. I wear cheaters. There are many of my rifles that I cannot get a crisp sight on the rear sight post due to deteriorating vision. Front sight no problem. Am I doomed to put a scope on all my rifles. Far vision still great. Any tips?
    Thanks, Bob
    Wal, I'd say you gotta figger out what the problem is with your eyeballs. What does your Eye Dr. say?

Cataract Surgery MAY be in order. It shore helped me.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I just have to wear reading glasses. I ain't no rocket surgeon, am I missing something simple?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    I just have to wear reading glasses. I ain't no rocket surgeon, am I missing something simple?
    My guess is that you are missing, the need to go see an EYE Docter.

Of course, scope sights are usually advantageous whether you eyes are failing you or not.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Do you remember, When your dad said, son your going to go blind if you keep doing that...........Guess you should at least do it less, and see if your vision improves......

OK, OK, I get it. Guess I'll have to cancel my "sabbatical" to Thailand.

AGL now that is funny. To the op, welcome to the club. Soon you will be in bifocals as the distance starts to fade as well. Or so I'm told! Lol I sure miss the perfect eyesight I had and took for granted the first 40 years.

Like was said above. Have a chat with a good eye doc. What works great for one person not so much for another. Often have to compromise one for another. Case in point I hate glasses of any kind with a passion. Especially my bifocals. They make me seasick. They also suck and fog up when snowmachining. So I choose to wear contacts. I love them over glasses. However that still leaves me needing to wear readers for any close up work
    This is a trade off that I can live with. Lasik has come a long ways and may be an option for you as well.

Open sites went away some year ago, went to red dots and after a few years they became 3dots not one, now it is all scopes for me.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

If I understand you correctly it's the rear sight that is disappearing. An aperture sight or ghost ring may provide some utility without resorting to a scope on every rifle.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Buy a shotgun perhaps?? Just kidding, I found as a bow hunter I lost my ability to see my sights and the target both when I started to hit 50. I have now seen a dramatic decline in being able to see well in the prime times of predawn and dusk, Doc told me the night vision goes quickly in your 50's!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    If I understand you correctly it's the rear sight that is disappearing. An aperture sight or ghost ring may provide some utility without resorting to a scope on every rifle.
    Sure worked for me. Glasses if I want to use conventional open sights, but even in my mid-60's I can still manage an aperture sight without glasses.

While my eyes are still okay (however at near 40 the rear site is certainly not as crisp as it once was) I just started using a tang mounted peep on my model 99 in 300 sav.and all I can say is wow. Aperture sites are sure the way to go, period (wish I would have realized this earlier). I pulled off a 2.5 in. group at 100 yards a few weeks ago with a Lyman peep site. Hoping to repeat this morning.

I am now trying to figure out how to get one for my other open site rifles. My model 94 30 30 in particular.

One more for the action mounted peep. When used properly its blurry anyway
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Ripped off a three shot group at 1.25 inches with two holes toucing from my Savage 99 in 300 savage with a Lyman peep today.......only took three shots. Buckhorns should be discontinued

But seriously, I cannot believe what kind of shooting can be done with aperture style rear sights. My best group with my Tikka 308 and a 3x9 Leupy was 1.5 inch.

Get yourself a peep and enjoy open sights again.

I used to be able to shoot really well with irons...not anymore. I'd see an eye doc, but losing the flexibility to focus at close range is a pretty normal middle age phenomenon. My far vision is still pretty good uncorrected, but reading without glasses is now just impossible.

I still do pretty well with aperture sights, since you look though it, not at it, but my hunting rifles tend to all wear glass now.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Go over to the dark side. Scopes are a beautiful thing.

I just ordered a Lyman for my 30 30......I am very excited to get that puppy in my hands. I was so stoked to get that 30 30 two years ago, was just like what I grew up with. Missed a couple nearly embarassing shots at deer at around 50 yards and just had little confidence unless it was in full light and perfectly broadside. Had the same issue with my opens on my 99 last year (but focused enough to down that one) Very excited to get hunting with the Lymans this fall. I enjoy scopes for sure, but so much of my shooting is under 100 yards and if I can find a way to do that without carrying glass, so much the better. However, that 300 is gonna get some time at the 200 yard mark soon enough (enter slice of humble pie here. but it should be fun.)

No matter what you choose, here's to enjoying your range time.

I appreciate all the helpful advice, especially the spot on info from AGL4Now. Looks like my M-1 Garand and 45-70 Trapdoor are now area fire weapons. When the Zombies attack I will be in my overwatch position 100 meters right flank rear. Please do not wander into my lane of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    One more for the action mounted peep. When used properly its blurry anyway
    Army training has the rear aperture blurry and the focus should be mainly on the tip of the front sight. My eyes require a scope but there is one other option. Longer barrel makes it easier to focus! For me anything longer that arms reach is in focus! Lol! Trapdoor as a BOT weapon is pretty funny too!

I had my Eye Doc write a prescription fo glasses that focused at arms length. I can shoot a pistol well again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast