Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian River closed at night

Default Russian River closed at night

I heard that the Russian river is closed now at night. Can anyone verifie this?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If this is true, when does it close and open?

From what I just got is 25 feet from the shore line is closed at night. My friend had the order in his hand. It basically affect from the ferry on down.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

not upstream
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Here's the posted closure. It's almost the same triangle area as last year below the ferry on the highway side of the river. Fishing isn't closed, just access through the area where the bears are hanging out.

TEMPORARY CLOSURE ORDER

ISSUED: June 19, 2007 Kenai National Wildlife Refuge
    Soldotna, Alaska
    AUTHORITY: 50 CFR 36.42

Due to a high level of bear activity, lands within Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, as described below, are closed to all public entry effective immediately.

The area closed includes approximately 29.25 acres near the Russian River Ferry; specifically, all areas beginning at the Russian River Ferry entrance road and parking lot, downstream along the Kenai River to Loverís Rock adjacent the Sterling Highway, then east on the Sterling Highway to the point of beginning. This closure includes the designated tent camping areas adjacent to the Russian River Ferry parking lot and all lands in the above described area greater than 25-feet from the Kenai River.

The goal of this closure is to reduce human/bear encounters and minimize risk of harm to people and bears. At least 5 bears are regularly using this small area of land currently. The closure will remain in affect through July 15, 2007 unless rescinded earlier, or extended for cause.

This temporary closure is consistent with the authority granted to the Refuge Manager under the National Wildlife Refuge System Administration Act of 1966, as amended, and closure procedures at 50 CFR 25.31 and 36.42.

Exempted People:
    1) any federal, state, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue of fire fighting force, in the performance of an official duty,
    2) persons with a written permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission, and
    3) employees of Alaska Recreation Management, Inc., contract operators of the Russian River Ferry Ė while patrolling to inform
    citizens of this closure.

Questions or requests for copies of this order or maps should be directed to the Refuge at (907) 262-7021.

Default where's the order

where can that be found? don't see an EO yet, got any other hidden web site F&G moght post it on?

Thanks AKKONA
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

What a crock! Manage the bears, not the people!

Question: If I am fishing this area and I am in the river's high water mark, is that not under State controlled? Navagable water way??

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default manage bears not people?

F&G has been trying to do that for years by placing orders for people to dispose of carcasses properly. Every time i fish the russian i have to tell at least one fool to take the extra 5 seconds and cut the carcass into thirds. Last year i taught one guy how to read apparently, since the sign was posted on the cleaning station and he was ignoring it i figured he needed to be treated a bit "special". Everyone who reads this forum should be doing the same when it comes to pointing fingers and speaking up. I'm sure by telling one person a few others around will listen too and it may actually make a difference. It's too bad F&G can't mandate the colored hair for those they catch not doing what they are supposed to on the river, instead of the bears... or have em' wear attractant so the bears know who to take out when they decide to take a 2 legged creature off the bank. I'm not opposed to some community service time for those that can't listen either, i'm up for them walking the river pickin up dead fish and cutting them up under some park supervision. screw the fines, make em' clean up the river!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    My thoughts exactly.They've really messed things up down there. People have the responsibility to know what is safe for them and their families. They have it clearly posted that bears are out and about and they have done a good job putting the information out via the news.

Tim

PS I like the idea of dying people's hair instead of the bear's!

YGTBFK, right?

Seems to me the more intelligent critter is the one most amenable to being "managed."

Anymore it seems "managing" bears always comes down to the same final common denominator... a high velocity lead projectile and a dead bear.

The best course of action is to minimize the chance of an unwanted encounter. I'd say the parks folks are on the right track.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Looked good to me

Monday night that area had several bears coming and going, grabbing fish and bringing them back into the woods. It wasn't closed, but no one was down there. The bears had their space, and the people had theirs. I don't know if it's a great idea, but that's what I saw two nights ago
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Question: If I am fishing this area and I am in the river's high water mark, is that not under State controlled? Navagable water way??
    This was issued by USFWS, not ADFG. It is a temporary land closure on the refuge, not a closure of the fishery. The Refuge and F&G are working together to deal with the bears concentrated in this area. It needs to be clear of people in case/or when F&G needs get in there.

You can still fish the waters, you just have to access it either by boat or walking in the stream/along the shore. The question you have to ask yourself is do you really want to walk along an area that you know is being used by bears? Isn't there enough area that you can fish without having to worry about a bear walking up behind you.

Exclamation Get Real!

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    This was issued by USFWS, not ADFG. It is a temporary land closure on the refuge, not a closure of the fishery. The Refuge and F&G are working together to deal with the bears concentrated in this area. It needs to be clear of people in case/or when F&G needs get in there.

You can still fish the waters, you just have to access it either by boat or walking in the stream/along the shore. The question you have to ask yourself is do you really want to walk along an area that you know is being used by bears? Isn't there enough area that you can fish without having to worry about a bear walking up behind you.

Like I said, manage the bears, not the people! Simple idea?

Almost anywhere you go in Alaska there are bears, fact of life in Alaska. However, the Russian is a people fishery or at least that is the way it has become. Make no mistake; folks need to be aware of their surrounding. But here in this place that is already over crowded, if there is a nuisance bear, get rid of it by trapping and relocating or kill it!

This big idea by the PETA loving USFWS of spray painting a bear is just plain absurd! If this keeps up, Alaska will be nothing more than a sub state of California!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

But here in this place that is already over crowded, if there is a nuisance bear, get rid of it by trapping and relocating or kill it!
    I agree that this isn't a place where bears and anglers should coexist, but there's more to the issue than simply, "trapping and relocating or kill it". F&G is trying to reduce DLPs so hunters can take some of these bears. Trapping and relocating typically doesn't work very well, the bears just head right back. Then there is the issue of accurate population estimates and what sustainable harvest numbers may be. They've already made a change to the hunting season next year with a spring hunt.

The combined state and federal agencies are looking at the bigger picture here and prevent future bears from coming into this area and becoming food conditioned. Bears should show up here and not find any food to keep them lingering in the area. If people can't voluntarily help remove the food source, then there will just be more regulations on the books. That's about as real as it gets.

Click this link for a full description and a pic of the area.

http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Depa.../news0619.html

If the fisherman would just do what they are supposed to do by chopping up fish carcasses and tossing them far into the river, the bears would go elsewhere. As it is LAZY fishermen just filet at the ferry side tables and throw, then the whole carcasses wash up in the grass on that side making an easy meal for the bears.

In that aspect they DO need to manage the people. Itís not that hard to cut up the carcasses.

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    Trapping and relocating typically doesn't work very well, the bears just head right back.

If you take them across the inlet, they may be back but I doubt it.

Again ADF&G job is to manage the wildlife. Manage the bears and not the people. I think the authorities would find it a better easier solution.

But then again, it would please the PETA types who are really in control here now would it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

First off thanks for posting a link to the picture of the closed area.
    Second, has everyone heard of the first attempt to dart a bear and dye it? The dart hit the bear in the liver which then caused it's death. You may argue with me but I find that kinda funny.
    Fact is this is Alaska and there are lots of bears. I fish dwon there all the time and I also make sure to cut up the carcass and make sure it makes it to the deep fast waters of the Kenai.
    The Bears there are just being smart, who would work hard for a meal when there is an all you can eat buffet left behind by us "stupid humans".
    I have been down there twice this year and have seen a total of 8 bears. 5 balcks and 3 browns. I had no problem with them as they were there for the same reason I was "salmon".
    Let's just respect their area, throw fish carcasses back they way we should, and maybe they will go away. If not Kill them all. Just kidding.

Default Just close it!

Closing the Russian for 1 year could teach humans that there is other place's to fish in Alaska than the Russian tourist hole! Close it! Close it for 2 or 3 years. Just my $.02

Question Closed at night or day and night?

Sorry all...must be working too hard today ...I don't see where it says closed at "night", I just see "closed".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast