Thread: Stainless impeller shim

Default Stainless impeller shim

Going with a 4 blade stainless this year from a 3 blade aluminum. The alum impellers were shimmed to .030-.032 if I remember correctly. I've read a couple times that guys are shimming the SS impellers to .015. Is that true? What are you guys shimming to?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Going with a 4 blade stainless this year from a 3 blade aluminum. The alum impellers were shimmed to .030-.032 if I remember correctly. I've read a couple times that guys are shimming the SS impellers to .015. Is that true? What are you guys shimming to?
    Just saw your PM, I like .015 it's enough clearance to keep the impeller from rubbing on the liner. If you go to tight something less than .015 you think it clears but when your running the impeller it is pulling down and pulls the tolerance out of the bearings and you drag on the liner, causing wear on both. Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post
    Just saw your PM, I like .015 it's enough clearance to keep the impeller from rubbing on the liner. If you go to tight something less than .015 you think it clears but when your running the impeller it is pulling down and pulls the tolerance out of the bearings and you drag on the liner, causing wear on both. Glen
    Glen,
    I have a .020 feeler gauge, and that's where I'm at right now. That's with only one shim on top, so I guess I can't get any closer. Thoughts?
    Thanks for the response!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Glen,
    I have a .020 feeler gauge, and that's where I'm at right now. That's with only one shim on top, so I guess I can't get any closer. Thoughts?
    Thanks for the response!
    .020 sounds good. I make my impeller's a little larger so with a new linner I use no shim's or one. Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post
    .020 sounds good. I make my impeller's a little larger so with a new linner I use no shim's or one. Glen
    Thanks for the help Glen! It's been so nice up here in Fairbanks! I'm so close to getting this little Wooldridge out on the river!