Thread: Opinion needed. RV priced to high? What to do?

Default Opinion needed. RV priced to high? What to do?

I'm in the market for a 9-10 +/- foot truck camper. Guy on craigslist has one that I'd be interested in, but he's asking twice what I'd pay for a 23 year old camper. (He's arguably 2x (or thereabout) over the market value of the camper, even if it is in excellent condition.) Would it be rude or inappropriate for me to email him and tell him that?

I fully understand that he'll get the message when he's tarping off his camper for the winter in Sept/Oct, but in the meantime, I'd expect it to sit on C/L for a LONG time.

Rude or not to email him and tell him he's over priced? I'd probably be better off showing up cash in hand, but I don't want to waste my time or his.

Tim

I've emailed people that they were asking too much, and it was never received the way I meant it.... almost everyone who posts overpriced stuff on CL thinks that their stuff is worth what they are asking, they don't live in the real world. I've contacted them, and said look this is what I'm willing to pay, fair market value, if you can get more than that great for you but if not you have my number and what I'm willing to pay.... so overall I wouldn't waste my breath telling them that they overpriced it. With RV's in Ak you can usually get 2-3 grand more than it's actually worth because the number of good units up here is pretty small compared to the lower 48, and few want to make the trip out to save a couple thousand dollars.
    My current travel trailer was for sale on CL, he had it priced at least a couple grand more than it was worth. It had been on CL for a month, finally I went to see it, it was the second week of October at the time, I told him you can take what I'm offering or it's going to snow in the next couple days and it's going to sit until next spring. He took my offer.

By the way check the Fairbanks CL ads, there is a really nice 99 arctic fox camper with a slide out for 6 grand... if it's not gone already that's a bargain.

The problem seems to be too many people actually paying for the overpriced stuff on CL. Wait a few weeks and give him a call and see how negotiable his price might be. Never hurts to throw out a lowball offer either.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    By the way check the Fairbanks CL ads, there is a really nice 99 arctic fox camper with a slide out for 6 grand... if it's not gone already that's a bargain.
    Oh, dang! That's a beaut and a great deal!! Thanks for the head's up. My truck won't handle it though. Probably close to 4,000 lbs and it needs a dually. GREAT deal though, won't last long.
    Tim

In case you don't know older campers are wider by a inch than the newer pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I'm in the market for a 9-10 +/- foot truck camper. Guy on craigslist has one that I'd be interested in, but he's asking twice what I'd pay for a 23 year old camper. (He's arguably 2x (or thereabout) over the market value of the camper, even if it is in excellent condition.) Would it be rude or inappropriate for me to email him and tell him that?

I fully understand that he'll get the message when he's tarping off his camper for the winter in Sept/Oct, but in the meantime, I'd expect it to sit on C/L for a LONG time.

Rude or not to email him and tell him he's over priced? I'd probably be better off showing up cash in hand, but I don't want to waste my time or his.

Tim
    Cash in hand is always a good way to go make an offer.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I never tell any one they price their stuff to high. If I want it I make an offer and walk away if not accepted. Prices in Alaska are almost always higher then the same or similar RV in the states. The main reason is there are not as many RV/Campers to choose from in Alaska. You can find more on sale in any big city in the states then our whole state has. Another thing is "slide in campers" sell for what the buyer lets them go for, not what the Blue Book says. Always buy in the off season and Memorial Day week end is not a good time to get a good deal on a camper.

Cab overs are the worst for trying to find used anywhere near 'book' value...I've seen many sell for nearly double 'book', which must be 'market value' because that is what folks are paying... 'Book' value means very little up here for cab overs...especially if they are in good shape
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

OP, make an offer on the camper and see where that goes. Many years ago, we also thought about getting a camper for our truck. However, through our searches, we found that we could get a good used Class C motor for not much difference in price. It pays to search around. As has already been stated, this is a bad time of the year to look for RV type equipment. Lots of people are ready to get out and about now and some are willing to pay just about any asking price.
    Do not give up, just keep our goals and take your time.

Make an offer and walk away. The seller might want to take your offer right then or later. If you'ved found something you like better then you win, if the seller decides to take your offer right away you win. That's how I play this game.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Many years ago, we also thought about getting a camper for our truck. However, through our searches, we found that we could get a good used Class C motor for not much difference in price.
    Yep, I did that in '09. Looking for a truck camper I bought a class c and I still have it. Problem is my kids travel to mom's in TX for the summer and my girlfriend and I would be better off with a 9-10' slide in than my 29' class c. However, after searching on c/l for a slide in, I'm in no hurry to ditch the class c.

As expected, the over priced camper is still for sale and he hasn't moved on the price.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Make an offer and walk away. The seller might want to take your offer right then or later. If you'ved found something you like better then you win, if the seller decides to take your offer right away you win. That's how I play this game.
    We're going to try and look at it this weekend and if it is worth it, make a reasonable offer. Unfortunately, I passed on a 'great deal' on a nice Lance over spring break and am kicking myself for it now. (Didn't have the tie down's on the new '15 Ford yet.)

It's been super frustrating looking for a good 9-11' TWENTY year old truck camper. Folks are crazy. $8000 for a 20 year old camper???? $4000 for an '88? I can't believe what people want for their stuff.

I bought a 2015 truck and wanted to sell off my class c and 8' camper to upgrade to a larger, newer camper. Wanted to spend $3000-5000 on a '95 or newer camper, but I think I'll keep my cash in my pocket. Heck, I'm in the market for a new/newer atv/sno-go trailer anyhow. If anyone is looking for an overpriced camper, there are A LOT of them on craigslist. lol

You've done the dance that so many have done up here shopping for cab-overs...

I got so frustrated back in 2009 that I just purchased a new one, then i sold it a year later for $2k less than I paid for it...so basically I rented it for $2k for a year of use...I've since did that 3 more times....the one we have now is a keeper but it is nice to know it will be easy to sell if I want to, all I have to do is price it fairly and it won't last a day on craigs list

Good luck with your search....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I agree! Price it reasonably and its GONE!! Gotta be quick. I screwed up not jumping on a camper I found over spring break. ABSOLUTELY what I was looking for, but I wanted to move my stuff around the yard before I added another toy. Someone else got a great deal.

It seems too early, but I have looked at new dealers, for 'newer' used campers and found some good deals, but I'm not willing to spend $12-15k, yet. Luckily I DO have a small 8' camper and class C. Just don't need a Class C for the gf and I in the summer since my kids are in TX.