Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear hunt this weekend

Default Bear hunt this weekend

I am planning on hunting black bear this weekend. This is the first time I have ever hunted black bears. Assuming they are out of hibernation any ideas on what kind of terrain to focus on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

South facing slopes.

Grassy areas.

They will be eating grass to clean there stomachs after the long sleep.

Early morning & right before dark

Good luck

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Terrain with something dead on it will be your best bet. Well, best bet outside of a den.

South facing slopes but I think your early.

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    South facing slopes but I think your early.
    Agreed. Time in the hills is never wasted, but I would expect a better chance at a coyote than a bear right now. Good luck, though!

I sat 90yds from a Brown Bear napping at the entrance to it's den last week so there is a chance, however slim.

Good luck!

I went to Los'Anchorage yesterday for supplies, and just as I passed "Bertha Creek" to the left as I was headed north, was a Black Bear on the open brown hillside, it was headed south, and was about mid way up the hillside. I have been watching a Brown Bear from the cabin, on the other side of Six-Mile Creek for about a week.It was stationary in the willows for about five days. Gone now, I assume down to the creek bottom. There is one set of tracks coming up out of Bear Creek and down into Sunset Creek, I have no idea what kind of bear.

someone reported a black bear around Wasilla this week. Some of them could be starting to move around if they didn't den up high enough for good snow cover.

Good luck!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Still kind of early, but I saw new green growth at my cabin last weekend. I don't expect to see them until the fiddle head ferns start showing. They need that fresh greenery to get the 'system' moving again. When I lived and hunted in Wa. the first thing they would eat was skunk cabbage. Makes for a nasty tasting bear I tell ya.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I've heard clean their stomachs and get their system moving in this thread now. Where did people get this information? Is it biological, researched information or is it part of bear lore that has been passed down for generations?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I've heard clean their stomachs and get their system moving in this thread now. Where did people get this information? Is it biological, researched information or is it part of bear lore that has been passed down for generations?
    I don't know enough about bears to assign motives, but I would hazard a guess that they'll eat just about anything that isn't nailed down this time of the year. I suppose their main motivation this time of the year is pretty much the same as it is later on: food. Bears love to eat!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

That's what the biologists have told me mike. They just want food. They tend to eat typical stuff for an area mostly just due to availability. Nothing to do with diet or how their system works.
    Master guide 212

I spoke with someone Wednesday that saw a bear on Friday Creek last weekend.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Nonsense passed down from generations of old bear guides. "Bears need to clear the plug in the Spring"

Nonsense....lol I like that. Till it was figured out that bears don't plug. Gotta watch out for those bear guides.....lol
    Master guide 212

Just an observation, and I'm wondering if other experienced bear hunters have noticed it too? On rivers with an abundant salmon run and a heavy hillside berry crop at the same time, bears seem to move back and forth between food sources, almost as if they're burned out on one, so they switch to the other for a while. I've seen lots of berry-filled bear scat on salmon streams too. What are your thoughts on this?

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

In the SE anyway skunk cabbage and devils cub are amoung the first things up in spring and bears hit them hard. These two plants are used by natives peoples for getting the bowels going. Makes it easy to see how things are passed through years as facts and easy to believe.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'd imagine that after all winter of dried fish and meat anything green would get my bowels moving!! Lol
    They did a study in se somewhere on bears and salmon streams and found most bears were traveling up to 10 miles a day from the rivers to feed on other food sources and back to the rivers in the evenings.
    My theory is that bears fish better in the dark. I can't be sure but it seems that salmon don't see as well at night. I can't get close to them in the day time but at night I've almost stepped on a lot of them. So I think that is why salmon stream bears activity seems higher in low light situations. When fishing a poor they are off to feed on whatever else is available.
    Master guide 212

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I learned this by watching the disney movie "bears" last summer. It was science. I think John C Reilly may be a biologist.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast