Thread: White "Duck" shaped bird with a Black head.....????

Default White "Duck" shaped bird with a Black head.....????

I am NOT a waterfowl knowledgeable person. What is this (I assume Duck) that has a white body and black head.......????

Thank you.

??
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Probably a merganser, which Hippie posted a pic of.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I did NOT see any black on the body, but it could have been there. There was a bunch of them, scattered along the Portage Creek area, and all along the wetlands clear over to Ingram Creek yesterday. Does it seem early for them to be here.......???

Given the mild winter, not really.

I'm not well versed on ducks, but I know I've seen that particular species even in midwinter on Kenai river. They chase smolt, which jibes with where you saw them.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Given the mild winter, not really.

I'm not well versed on ducks, but I know I've seen that particular species even in midwinter on Kenai river. They chase smolt, which jibes with where you saw them.

I saw several flocks of bluebills in Homer this weekend. The drakes are really white other than the breast and tail at this time of year. It seems pretty early but I wouldn't be surprised to see early arrivals this year.

A friend who owns a farm in Palmer had a flock of about 200 geese in his field this week... it does seem a bit early. But I'll take it.

As for the black and white duck.... (black head) Bluebills/ring necks, bufflehead, common merganser, golden eye - these are the only ones I can think of with black and white markings that we would commonly see.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    A friend who owns a farm in Palmer had a flock of about 200 geese in his field this week... it does seem a bit early. But I'll take it.

As for the black and white duck.... (black head) Bluebills/ring necks, bufflehead, common merganser, golden eye - these are the only ones I can think of with black and white markings that we would commonly see.

That is a common merganser

Barrows Golden Eye possibly.