Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Routes to Alaska

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California Sierra Nevada Foothills
    Posts
    18

    Default Routes to Alaska

    68 +- days to departure north (from California). Moved it up to 1st of June from late June. Not making much headway though choosing routes. To complicate matters somewhere I read about a side trip to Glacier NP (BC) and Jasper NP is worth the extra time & miles. Comments?

  2. #2
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    What are you driving, towing, in a hurry, kids, pets, vacation, etc......
    Have you picked up a copy of the milepost?
    Bk

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Anchorge, Alaska
    Posts
    80

    Default

    We've come up every different way. Fastest is the Cassiar. Smoothest is the Alcan. Most beautiful (by a ton) is through Jasper, then Alcan. If you have the time, use this as an opportunity to see Glacier and Jasper. Allow a few days in both places to soak up the beauty, and the Hot Springs at Banff. Camping should be great that time of year. You'll also be going by Liard Hot Springs, which has a good campground and great springs. It's right in the middle of the Alcan section, so relieves the driving tension.

  4. #4
    Member Icebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    203

    Default

    We sell the Milepost on our site here: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/a...qtt6no2lkn7oh6 We will be adding the new 2015 real soon.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California Sierra Nevada Foothills
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Driving an F250 with overhead Alaskan camper - 2 dogs, canoe & gold sluice. My milepost is 2 years old (couldn't swing the trip 2 years ago I don't want to take forever to get up to AK but I am interested in most beautiful route. Thinking seriously about the Jasper route. Might even take the tie to drop into Calgary to visit an old friend.Thanks for info!

  6. #6
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default

    Don't mention anything about the gold sluice when crossing into/out of Canada. Last time I crossed with gold equipment they pulled me off to the side and went through everything in the camper and truck.

    Jasper is the prettiest as others have said. Going to be quite a few more moles though than heading North out of Seattle.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California Sierra Nevada Foothills
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Don't mention anything about the gold sluice when crossing into/out of Canada. Last time I crossed with gold equipment they pulled me off to the side and went through everything in the camper and truck.

    Jasper is the prettiest as others have said. Going to be quite a few more moles though than heading North out of Seattle.
    wel i I intend to have a sluice strapped to the top of my camper - don't tell me gold sluices are illegal !! ??

  8. #8
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default

    Not illegal. What irritates the border patrol in Canada who knows.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    352

    Default

    I've found the Canadian border agents polite and professional every time I've crossed. Can't say the same for our guys.

    Have a great trip. You have the perfect setup there in my opinion.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macabhaird View Post
    68 +- days to departure north (from California). Moved it up to 1st of June from late June. Not making much headway though choosing routes. To complicate matters somewhere I read about a side trip to Glacier NP (BC) and Jasper NP is worth the extra time & miles. Comments?
    We usually cross at Sumas, take Hwy 1 to Hope, then over the top to Kamloops and north to Hwy 16 Yellowhead, east thru Jasper, north to Grand Prairie and Dawson.

    The alternate is to go to Missoula and take 93 north to Jasper, then as above. I prefer going thru Kamloops.

    If you are just transiting Jasper on 16 there is no charge. Or, overnight there and do the Icefields Parkway. There is nice KOA as you approach Hinton,AB.

  11. #11
    Member Libertine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Murder Capitol, AK
    Posts
    185

    Default

    The Canadian Rockies are really beautiful. I second the recommendation for the Icefields Parkway (Banff to Jasper). It's a really scenic drive. I did it in 2012 on a motorcycle, and will do it again.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California Sierra Nevada Foothills
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Well am antsy as can be to shove off - but couldn't help the delay. Here's my helter skelter route - for your slicing, dicing pleasure..... I admit, I need all the advice I can get.

    July 6 -
    From California, take Hwy 97 from I5 at Weed through Oregon - stop in Prosser where my family were pioneers (great grandfather, immigrant from Donegal is buried) in the late 1800's.

    Proceed west toward Yakama up Hwy 82 to Hwy 97 North. Turns into 97A in Canada through Glacier NP - then on to Golden & the Trans Canadian Hwy to Banff -


    Proceed the route north on Hwy 93 through Jasper NP. At Jasper, head west on Yellowhead Hwy (16) and on to Prince George


    In Prince George, what route is best - 97 to Dawson Creek, Watson Lake,

    Then ? hwy 4 north or hwy 1 west to Whitehorse?

    Either way, on to Dawson, & Chicken - down to Tok, then Hwy 2 to Fairbanks


    Then Fairbanks to
    Anchorage to Kenai peninsula

    Then homeward - take ferry from Whittier or ? to Valdez - catch Hwy 4
    (Side trip to 10 - Edgerton Hwy to Chitna & McCarthy Rd)

    Back on 4, head north to 1 then south to Haines Junction. Take 3 (Haines Highway) & 7 to Haines.

    Ferry to Skagway - then 98 (Klondike Hwy) to Carcross & to Tagish & Jake's Corner then Hwy 37 Dease Lake (Cassier Hwy) to 16 (Smithers) and Prince George.

    From Prince George, take Hwy 97 to Williams Lake & on south to Hope - (haven't been there since I was a 17 year old runaway - 1967, attempting to hitch hike across Canada - but there was 'no hope in Hope', so I headed back to Vancouver.

    Then onto Vancouver - fish & chips on English Bay or Stanley Park-
    Then finally, on to Seattle.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,179

    Default

    While it might not be the fastest route, I like to link up to highway 95 and work my way north to Canada from there. We go up through Idaho into Canada(the border crossing is not open 24hrs a day on this route) then to Radium Hot springs and then heading to Jasper NP. Just north of Jasper, take the route to Grand Prairie and then into Dawson. From Dawson, we normally stay on the Alcan all the way to Tok and then to our home in Palmer. Once on the Alcan there are several places to stop and play, along with some interesting sights to see. Going back south, once we leave Dawson Creek, we head south west to Prince George, Cache Creek, Hope and then back into the USA at Sumas,
    It sounds like you have a good route picked out for what you want to see/do. Have safe travels, but have fun!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California Sierra Nevada Foothills
    Posts
    18

    Default

    If if I went 95 then I'd be heading NE through Spokane & Sandpoint and would have to back track to go through Glacier NP. Will check it all out, including the routes beyond Jasper NP. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    While it might not be the fastest route, I like to link up to highway 95 and work my way north to Canada from there. We go up through Idaho into Canada(the border crossing is not open 24hrs a day on this route) then to Radium Hot springs and then heading to Jasper NP. Just north of Jasper, take the route to Grand Prairie and then into Dawson. From Dawson, we normally stay on the Alcan all the way to Tok and then to our home in Palmer. Once on the Alcan there are several places to stop and play, along with some interesting sights to see. Going back south, once we leave Dawson Creek, we head south west to Prince George, Cache Creek, Hope and then back into the USA at Sumas,
    It sounds like you have a good route picked out for what you want to see/do. Have safe travels, but have fun!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •