Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peeping on pennies

Smile Peeping on pennies

Looking for advice on a decent scope for hunters on a budget. I was under the impression that the #X-##X is the magnification (#/##) and the last numbers are the diameter of the lens (mm), which help with increased vision in low light. I'm looking to hunt big game, wolves to grizzlies, so I would THINK that they would be at a greater distance than moose and deer so I would need a higher powered magnification. And since daylight varies so much up here, I think I would need a large mm diameter.
    1) Am I correct on my "facts"?
    2) What are some decent scopes out there for under an arm and a leg? (I just moved here from the lower 48 and enlisted in the Military as a single income family of 4, plus a dog)

I like the lower end Nikon for the money. Heck, my dad has a Bushnell banner on his one and only rifle, it's 30 years old and still holds zero
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I personally think that many people put way more scope on a hunting gun than is needed. A high powered scope is generally bulkier and heavier and while they are nice at the range or for shooting varmints- the field of view is pretty small for lots of circumstances. For carrying a rifle and expecting to see game at reasonable distances a 2-7 or 3-9 is very hard to beat. I like to keep scopes on the lowest setting for finding the critter in a hurry and if you have time you can dial it in. A lot of very experienced guys prefer a fixed power scope. Scopes are like fly rods- you can spend lots of money for a great one, or spend a fair amount for a very good one. People are very brand loyal at times so you will get lots of opinions on what is the best for the money. IMHO Leupold VX2 and Redfield Revolution scopes are a lot of scope for the money. One last comment- I have seen guys shoot as well with 4X as I can with 9! Go to a shop that has different ones you can look through and see the difference in clarity and crispness at the edges.

Your impression on the numbers is correct.

In reference to your other thread as well, I think if you had a Ruger American in 30-06, with a Redfield 3-9 x 40, you'd have the perfect do most rifle for AK.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I looked into the brands and specs mentioned above and I learned that I was the guy looking to put a telescope (4x+ mag with >52mm) on a rifle. I had my suspicions that the "office expert" was pushing me toward the telescope instead of a functional scope but I was biting off everything he was throwing me without question. I'm glad I was given more sound advice so I didn't spend my scarce resources on improper equipment.

On a further note, I cannot imagine a shot where I would personally need more than say 4x or so to hit the vitals on an animal (400 yards or so), but I like having higher power to count brow tines.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is going to be way more wide open than the rifle question.

No right answers?

I'm one of the folks who really like a fixed power scope. There's very little hunting here a fixed 4x or 6x won't readily accomplish. A new 4x32 or 6x36 FXII Leupold will run about $300 and is warranted for life... or go buy used on EBay. Leupold will even warranty their stuff you buy used, so it's a low risk proposition.

As far as objective numbers go (the last numbers that tell lens size). A larger lens will gather more light, but our hunting season still has plenty of daylight. The 50mm and up scopes just sit very high and are cumbersome to my taste.

I'd not look to go any bigger than a 3-9x and a 40mm objective. I've done a lot of hunting with a 6x36 and thinks it's about perfect for open country... if you hunt timber, a 4x33 will be fine.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

3-9 x whatever is standard. More is fine. Less is fine. Fixed power is fine.

Basically the minimum requirement is one that you can see through that holds zero. I don't know what the minimum is.

Outside of he minimum, you've got some upgrades or very useful perks like being able to count tines (like the above post said). You might be able to account for some of the perks else where through binoculars or spotting scope.

I've got a 3-9 Leupold but want one of the fixed one Hodgeman mentioned, mostly just because.

Fixed 4X is all you need with 30-06. Walk in the area you will be hunting most and think of the shots you would make knowing your ability limits.Myself I've never shot any critter far enough way for a scope to really be needed at all.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You won't go wrong with most scopes made these days. If you don't go the used route, prepare to pay slightly less than than what you pay for your rifle. 200-300 bucks will get you a great scope. Redfield is Leupold's "value" brand and is a good bargain. Stay away from the less than $200 scopes unless you're buying used. There is some cheap Chinese crap out there. 150-200 will get you a "good" Chinese made scope.

While a fixed power 3 or 4 power scope is fine, you'll appreciate a bit more power. A 3-9 power with a 40mm "objective" (the big end) is all you need for most hunting, close in to long range. Here's a Nikon from Cabela's Bargain Cave (online) that fits the bill:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barga...0#productChart

If you want to save further bucks, cruise through the couple of gun shops in town that sell used guns (Great Northern Guns, The Ammo Can, etc) and pick up a used Remington or Ruger 30-06. Watch Fred Meyer's sales and look for their Remington 700 or Ruger American's on sale - you might get a brand new one for a little over $350. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Watch Fred Meyer's sales and look for their Remington 700 or Ruger American's on sale - you might get a brand new one for a little over $350. Best of luck.
    True story there. I bought two Ruger m77s from Fred Meyer for $349 when I caught the right sale. As for calibers and scopes (to hit both of your threads in one), you really can't go wrong with a 30-06 topped with either a Leupold VX-I or VX-II or a Nikon Monarch in 3x9. Those scopes might stretch your budget out to $600-800 for the whole setup (less if you can find used or a screaming sale), but the combo will last you a lifetime. My first rifle was exactly that, and after a decade or so of playing with other calibers, I'm back to carrying my beat up Ruger 30-06 topped with a Nikon in the field 95% of the time. It ain't a pretty gun, but it sure gets the job done and it was the least expensive setup in my safe.

Cabelas had a good deal on a leupold vx-2 3-9 W/ CDS. $249.99 w/ free shipping.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupo...t=Leupold+vx+2

No knocks on Leupold at all (I really love them), but a name that isn't being used in this thread that you might look into is Vortex. The Vortex Diamondback series is actually making waves in the hunting community because it's very close to the VX-II's from Leupold but runs $100-150 less for comparable. I wouldn't call it a one-to-one match, but it's close enough that the $100 price difference seems like a deal.

It's all up to you, but don't ignore the Vortex line. Even the Crossfires are decent scopes for less than half the Leupolds. Heck head down to Cabela's and grab one of each and do some peeping. Plenty of stuffed animals on the walls to pretend are targets and scope.

Good call on the Vortex recommendation. I don't have one of their scopes, but my wife bought some Vortex binoculars last year and I am stunned at how good they are for the price. Easily worth twice what we paid for them compared to other premium brands.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I would never buy an OLDER USED scope. I like New, Current Production, Inexpensive scopes, because they have better coatings than the older ones.

I have a whole mess of scopes. they all work fine, and none of them cost more than $250.00 if that much. Most of them cost far less, than that.

Fixed is fine if it's 4X or less. I can't deal with 6X, if I can't change it when I need to.

For me, 3X9X40 is the way to go. 9X at the range for sight-in, 3 or 4X for packing around, and 6X for a hunting shot from a rest.

OOOOO, Sheet. Now, everbody knows why I can't hit nuthin.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Lots of great advice on a scope here, my two cents is warranty.

Look for a brand that will stand behind their product unconditionally for life. At some point you will damage something, having a lifetime warranty will save you money down the road. Leupold, to include their new Redfield line have an outstanding warranty. So does Vortex. All three have lower end scopes available for just a few hundred bucks. As said before for all around hunting a 2-7 or 3-9 will do all you ever want.

Good luck!

Wow, I just had an epiphany, I thought a 3-9x40 meant that (3/9)=3X with a 40 mm objective. So when I was reading the 4-12x40, I was thinking, that's the same magnification, 4/12 = 3/9. I came about this thinking when getting information from the "office hunter" and he explained the first number divided by the next number is the magnification. I feel so DUMB!!!! Thank you everyone for helping with your advice and tips. I think the 3x-9x magnification is the zone I will look into with the 40 mm objective. I don't have the steadiest of hands so I think the higher magnification will make me more inaccurate and a less effective hunter.

It's already been said, but Leupold VX1 or 2 or Redfield Revolution are all good options. I still hunt with a 30 year old '06 and Leupold fixed 4X the same age. I've killed everything I've ever wanted to kill with it and never thought twice.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Several good scopes have been mentioned. Some can be bought for $150 to $200 if you wait for a sale at one of the major box stores. Unless you are shooting small critters at long range 4x is plenty. There are even cheaper scopes that work very well until they quit. Leupold, Redfield, Vortex, Burris, Nikon all make good scopes. Warranty is very important unless you can afford to buy again when something goes wrong. All this said, I have hunted for a long time with some real low rent scopes and had very good luck with them but I usually have a backup rifle and scope available. Anyway, you don't have to spend a ton of money to get a pretty good scope. I like the Redfield line. I won't even mention what I have been using for the last 20years or so as I might get laughed off the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast