Thread: Fish bags??

Default Fish bags??

Anyone try using a fish bag like the Canyon fisherman use? Thinking of picking one to keep halibut iced down, no fish hold, they don't fit in cooler after 70lbs. The Canyon CANB22 should fit 100lb halibut I'd think., without the need for a 250+qt cooler on board all the time. Fish bag stays folded up until it's needed, and would hang/lay on swim platform.

http://www.alltackle.com/canyon_fish_bags.htm
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

If you lop off the head and the tail first you can fit two or three 100lb halibut or five or six 50lbers in one of those bags. The B22 model is the one I have.

Big_E

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Anyone try using a fish bag like the Canyon fisherman use? Thinking of picking one to keep halibut iced down, no fish hold, they don't fit in cooler after 70lbs. The Canyon CANB22 should fit 100lb halibut I'd think., without the need for a 250+qt cooler on board all the time. Fish bag stays folded up until it's needed, and would hang/lay on swim platform.

http://www.alltackle.com/canyon_fish_bags.htm
    I've only used them for tuna- winter bluefin in the Atlantic and ahi in Hawaii. But they sure kept the ice well, even in Hawaii. If you can get flake ice (salt added) from one of the canneries, it keeps lot better than cube ice. Days even. John at NP has it, I'm sure.

If anyone is interested i can have those bags custom made to any size you like. I have a sample bag at the potbarn if you would like to see the quality of the construction. I will also have the bag with me at the outdoors shows so stop by and take a look.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Now that pot is legal in AK you might want to trademark "potbarn."

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Now that pot is legal in AK you might want to trademark "potbarn."
    used to be the only legal potbarn in the valley guess that is gone now !

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder do you think you could get a square one made that would fit in a fish hold and have a lid. Kind of like a soft side cooler but custom fit to the hold?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    If anyone is interested i can have those bags custom made to any size you like. I have a sample bag at the potbarn if you would like to see the quality of the construction. I will also have the bag with me at the outdoors shows so stop by and take a look.
    Might be handy to have one made that will fit inside a Barney's Moose Pack. I use my pack for hauling dipnetted fish, after filleting. Coolers are a hassle where I fish, but the pack is ideal. A pack liner that holds ice would be perfect. I wonder what something like that would cost?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

if you guys give me some dimentions or better yet a sketch i could find out

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    if you guys give me some dimentions or better yet a sketch i could find out
    I'll try to do that, unless someone beats me to it. How do these bags work, anyway? Does all the ice sit in the bottom, or are there baffles to keep that from happening? Also how thick are the walls? I'm wondering how much interior space I will lose. I would probably line it with a trash bag, so I don't really need the cleaning nozzle or anything else. Really just a simple bag with a couple of lift straps to pull it out of the pack.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I'll try to do that, unless someone beats me to it. How do these bags work, anyway? Does all the ice sit in the bottom, or are there baffles to keep that from happening? Also how thick are the walls? I'm wondering how much interior space I will lose. I would probably line it with a trash bag, so I don't really need the cleaning nozzle or anything else. Really just a simple bag with a couple of lift straps to pull it out of the pack.

-Mike
    Think of them as being a high quality collapsible soft sided cooler. The insulation is aprox 1/2" thick, no baffles just a open interior, shape can be made to just about any shape you want, i'd think for your needs it would be the same shape as you packbag, so lets say a rectangler box with a zippered closure on the top end. I have a sample bag they made for me and i will bring it to the show for you to look at. I'll try and post a pic here later today also.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

This is the sample bag i have
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers