Thread: What Type of Sat. Phone

Default What Type of Sat. Phone

Looking to buy a sat phone to mostly use south of Anchorage.Is the Globalstar a decent phone or is the Iridium the way to go?And where to buy one. Thanks Coues

Default Iridium

If you do a quick search you will find tons of info on this. I personally use Iridium that i got from Terri from Ak Satellite Communications in Anchorage. EricL

Default Iridium has my vote...

Globalstar sounds good enough, but my understanding is their new "gateway" is still not up in wasilla, and coverage is spotty in western alaska. Maybe you don't plan on using the phone out west at the moment, but the option would be nice wouldnt it? And resale is more an option should you decide ti get rid of it later on for that matter. I guess the globalstar is less expensive up front still? I've been renting, bought, etc from surveyors exchange for over 10 years now and they are outstanding....

Default Iridium

Iridium also has my vote, too.
    My personal Cingular phone works well on top of Colorado 14ers, but doesn't work on any mountain here in Alaska. (My GPS still works on it, though)
    You could find them here in Fairbanks at Radio Fairbanks.
    You could either buy or rent Iridiums, too. You might want to look into that depending on how often you want to use your Sat phone.
    Lurker.

Thanks for the replies,will probably go with a used Iridium from Surveyors exchange,just wanting to make sure before dropping alot of coin.

Thanks again Daniel

IRIDIUM!!!! the 9505A ...best of the best, I used mine from Balad,Iraq to Prudoe Bay this year and it works great....K