Thread: NRS Pike

Default NRS Pike

Just ran into this, and thought it might be of interest to some of the folks looking for a boat larger than a packraft, but smaller than a conventional boat. Or perhaps as an overflow boat where one boat is just not quite enough. It's the NRS Pike, with a high-pressure drop-stitch insert floor system and plenty of interior space. HERE's THE LINK.

Anyone out there have any experience with this boat?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Just ran into this, and thought it might be of interest to some of the folks looking for a boat larger than a packraft, but smaller than a conventional boat. Or perhaps as an overflow boat where one boat is just not quite enough. It's the NRS Pike, with a high-pressure drop-stitch insert floor system and plenty of interior space. HERE's THE LINK.

Anyone out there have any experience with this boat?

-Mike

Just read the specs (thanks for the link) -- this IK is 12 pounds heavier than the same length Aire Lynx I. With the rigid floor, the paddler and gear will sit higher than in the Lynx or a packraft. So less gear can be taken and the kayak will be a bit top-heavy. It will also be harder to paddle in windy conditions, unless one of the fins is attached, rendering it useless on many rivers. You're going to need to bring along a heavier high-pressure pump, too, for the floor. So, all in all, this looks like a reasonable boat for day use fishing on lakes and creeks up to Class II but I will stick with my Lynx II (which weighs less but has much more capacity) for multi-day trips on remote rivers up to Class III+. And if I thought I might need an add-on boat on a rafting trip, I'd bring my Lynx I -- smaller and lighter for flying in/out with.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRivers View Post
    Just read the specs (thanks for the link) -- this IK is 12 pounds heavier than the same length Aire Lynx I. With the rigid floor, the paddler and gear will sit higher than in the Lynx or a packraft. So less gear can be taken and the kayak will be a bit top-heavy. It will also be harder to paddle in windy conditions, unless one of the fins is attached, rendering it useless on many rivers. You're going to need to bring along a heavier high-pressure pump, too, for the floor. So, all in all, this looks like a reasonable boat for day use fishing on lakes and creeks up to Class II but I will stick with my Lynx II (which weighs less but has much more capacity) for multi-day trips on remote rivers up to Class III+. And if I thought I might need an add-on boat on a rafting trip, I'd bring my Lynx I -- smaller and lighter for flying in/out with.
    I have a similar reaction to you, but the Pike is 12'8" w/ 11" tubes while the Lynx II is 12'6" w/ 11.5" tubes and the Lynx I is 10'1.5" w/ 10.75" tubes. The Lynx I is also 1.5" skinnier than either the Pike or Lynx II.

I think that despite the rigid floor, the Pike is likely to have a capacity that is closer to the Lynx II than the Lynx I.

I can see the Pike being a good boat for lake fishing, maybe even ocean fishing. But the Lynx II is almost certainly a better, lighter (and 50% more expensive) boat for everything else.

OK here is the skinny I mentioned this boat a couple of years back LOVE IT in fact everyone who has ever been in one wants one. Nope not the Lynx not suppose to be it is the PIKE IK. Does great on lakes able to swap out the bottom fin for your applicable needs or go without. We have ran them on the Chena, Chat, Good Paster, Tanana and the Upper and Lower Gulkana. Great boat for light weight fun and multi day trips 2-4 days.

Can it handle the Gulkana Canyon in high water YOU BET but your get really really wet. It is not the best choice for choppy class three, fills and drains fills and drains, so that is its only down fall. The thing is a beast concerning wear and tear. Lots of places to strap things down with all the daisy chain and 1 inch D rings.

Great boat for Willow, Montana Creek etc.......

So that my friends is my .82 cents inflation comment.

OBTW All excellent points made by all.