Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Current production rifles

Default Best Current production rifles

Caveats up front:

1.We're talking about rifles that folks of Middle America could afford. Meaning they just got a raise or maybe a decent tax return. Or whatever...have some nest egg dough set aside. So we'll set a limit of $2000 for out the door price.

2.This might be a once in a lifetime for a working man, hard life splurge...you have always wanted one, but just couldn't "justify" buying one...now you can...this one time. We'll skip the wife says "are you crazy???" comments.

What are you buying...and why?

Confession: I've done this twice this year...but I'm not telling what and why until later in this thread. Not ashamed at all.. .just asking.

7STW

Current Production? Under 2K?

Best takes on a lot of different flavors for folks.

I tend to like "mountain rifles"...under 8.5lbs ready to go, weatherproof finish, better than MOA accuracy.

I've been really happy with my Nosler M48 going on 9 years...you can get a couple models now for under $2k in almost whatever cartridge you like...

My friend's new Fierce (Sako clone) is fantastic and nothing is wrong with a straight up Sako either.

A Kimber Mountain Ascent isn't good value for money...but it'd make my list too.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I bought one of the Savage weather warrior Nikon packages. For somewhere around $7-800 it's one of the lightest, most accurate , and arguable best factory trigger you can get. Get the barrel threaded and you've got an excellent do everything rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Factory, I'd go Winchester Model 70.
    I'm a big fan of the three position safety and CRF.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

With $2000 as the top price- that opens up many great rifles! Weatherby MkV ULRC, Montana Rifle Co all weather, Sako Grey Wolf, Kimber Ascent...I am a simple guy and really like the Winchester 70 Extreme Weather- the action is great, stock is super comfortable, rifle is 6 3/4 lbs. $2000 would pay for the rifle, a Swaro Z3, and a few boxes of shells- and that is a wonderful combination!

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

With the imposed 2k limit in mind, I would be looking at either top end glass for an existing rifle I own or a Benelli Vinci.

If it had to be a production rifle, I might go for one of the Remington Model 700™ Sendero® SF II, http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ero-sf-ii.aspx in a 7mm Rem mag. But that would eat up most of the 2K and then I would have to spend another nearly 2k on the Nightforce scope I want for it. That would be pushing the cost up to the price range of the Gunwerkz LR1000 shooting system, that I really want.

I'd probably skip the Remington and save my money up for the one time splurge buy on the LR1000 just because I want it. As you said, once in a lifetime for a working man, hard life splurge...you have always wanted one, but just couldn't "justify"...

I really like my Winchester M70 extreme weather SS .300WM, with a VXIII 2.5/8...or 9 (can't remember) it came in just under 1500 and shoots MOA or under of I do my part. A does everything combo. I don't know if it's "the best" but it sure does what I need it to do and puts meat on the table.
    Last edited by 2dawgs; 03-25-2015 at 16:00. Reason: Speeling

I'm partial to New Haven model 70 classics, however they're not made anymore, so I guess that would knock it off the current production list.

I'd find a model 70 classic stainless in 30-06 and use the rest of the money to put a 35 cal barrel on it and convert it to a 35 whelen. So technically it would be in production

Current production rifles, I'd like to get a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Ruger M77 MKII stainless (though not the current matte stainless), then I'd slap a Bushnell Elite or Elite 3200 or Elite 4200 on it. Oh I have a handful of these already.

Tikka T3 Lite or Tikka Boar Hunter... with Bushnell Elite scopes

I do love that Kimber Mtn. Ascent rifle though also... but the Tikka T3 seems just as light (you can handle both rifles at Cabelas).

I might consider a Ruger No. 1 in stainless, or an Ruger International in stainless also, or a Stainless Sako with a walnut stock. But I'd still scope them with Bushnell Elite scopes.

When it is soggy out the Rainguard feature on the Elites are what has sold me on the line, so that is pretty much any time I am out hunting.

Sobie2

CZ 550. As far as I'm concerned, best production rifle for the money right now.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Win Model 70 extreme weather or Kimber Montana. Leupold scopes on top and Talley rings.

CZ-500 series... ANY
    M-70 Winchester ( new production)
    Browning A bolt
    Montana Rifle
    SAKO Finnlight
    Tikka T3 Lite.
    Ruger MKII stainless Hawkeye series.
    Mannlicher Pro-Hunter stainless series.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

savage 116 weather warrior in 30-06 or 300 wm and a great optic. It will perform as good as most anything out there and is tough. And far cheaper than 2k!

Another vote for Win M70..

I have one chambered in 325WSM (weather extreme) and have been really pleased with the rifle. It was a great shooter right outa the box and I have done nothing to it besides a trigger job, Talleys, and Zeiss Conquest. Think I have roughly $1600 into the rifle with those few add-ons factored in.

On another note, my Tikka will probably shoot circles around my 325 (those Fins sure know how to throw a rifle together), but I think the M70 gets the nod for overall fit,finish, and huntabilitly.

Dare is say it, (sheep hunters turn your heads ) the Tikkas are seriously on the verge of being too light! But I have both chambered in different calibers and they serve their own purpose nicely.

Mark

Winchester 70 Extreme Weather, 30-06, Leupold VXIII 3.5-10, Dead Nutz one pc base and rings. Well under $2000 and a rifle that will do everything I'll ever want to do. But don't tell my wife that for crying out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by delong1301 View Post
    "But don't tell my wife that for crying out loud".
    lol, ain't that the truth, I just hope that if something happens to me she don't sell them for what I told her I paid for them, lol.

CZ quit making the 550 American a couple of years ago. I have one and it is my favorite rifle. Since the CZ is no longer in the mix would pick:
    Montana
    Model 70
    Vanguard
    Zastava and clean it up.
    "Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!"

Quote Originally Posted by AZVince View Post
    Factory, I'd go Winchester Model 70.
    I'm a big fan of the three position safety and CRF.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    I'm with Vince. A new FN model 70 Featherweight in 308. I'd send it to Jess and let him make it into a 358 Winchester for $225. Then spend what was left on a good fixed 4x scope to put on the rig. It would be 2 grand well spent and I'd be happy and the little women wouldn't cuz she want's to spend 2 grand on a kitchen floor for us to spill stuff on as we get old and feeble.

I promised at the outset I would "fess" up...so here goes:

1.NIB Browing T Bolt with a 3x9 Leuy RF up top in Leuy rings. I just like the look and feel of this rig...trigger is impeccable.10 round rotary mag. I needed a quality 22 bolt gun and am, quite frankly, in love with this one. This ran around $1200 field ready...give or take.

2.Sako 85 Varmint Laminant 22-250 fluted barrel with the single set trigger. Once had a 40 XKS that I had to sell and have always wanted another 22-250 tack driver Leuy mounts with a 6.5X20 AO up top...the rifle ran $1800 NIB, but total with the scope mounts...special Dewey bore guide etc is at $2Gs or more.

Both excellent examples of fine rifles still being made today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast