Thread: Trim tabs....?

Default Trim tabs....?

LENCO or BENNETT ?

I have a old set of Bennetts I am thinking about using, the tabs are the right size and Bennett even comped me a set of actuator ends.

They are 30 years old, not sure if the hydraulics still work....? Assume so.....

The Lenco electrics have some appeal, and they make a conversion kit for Bennetts..what say you guys....?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I have had Bennett's on my boat for over 20 years. There customer service has been great.
    I have only had 1 cylinder leak and they replaced it at no charge.

I have a set of Bennett's that are 32 this year and only thing I have done is replace 1 o ring.

The Lenco electrics have some appeal, and they make a conversion kit for Bennetts..what say you guys....?
    Akgramps,

After dinking around with fixing a series of problems with Insta-Trim hydraulic trim tabs for the last 2 summers, I would say go with the Lenco conversions kit. There are less things to go wrong in the system when hydraulics are taken out of the equation.

Doug

Thanks for the thoughts here........

I guess I need to verify the Bennett system I have still works.... I removed everything to rebuild the boat and am now making decisions on what to reuse. As of lately I have been buying electric components and was looking at some new switches for the tabs that got me to thinking.

What I have heard is the Lencos respond quicker.....but having never used either I dont know if that's a big deal.........?

The other thing is, no oil reservoir on the inside of the transom.... so nothing to leak either. With a stern drive space becomes a premium.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Had bennets, they sucked.Sensitive to voltage and h20 contamnation.
    Bk

Akgramps,

I don't know about quicker response time with Lenco as I have only had hydraulic trim tabs.

h20 contamnation
    This is what I have been fight over the last two summers after a crack developed in the oil reservoir at the fill plug. Insta Trims hydraulic system does not have any bleeder valves in the system so I have had to disconnect the hoses at the cylinder to try and get water contaminated oil out of the system. The hoses are attached by machine at the factory so getting them on and off the nipple on the cylinder is a PIA.

The system has worked well for up until the plastic oil reservoir cracked and water got in the system. This potential problem can be completely eliminated with an electric system. I believe Bay Weld is going with Lenco trim tabs on all their new boats.

Doug

Roger that, once I had water in the reservoir tank, fought it continously after that. Suck out fluid, bleed lines, refill with new fluid, would work for a while, do over, etc......
    Pain in the butt!
    Bk