Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bison release trip

Default Bison release trip

We took our high school students to the village of Shageluk today to witness the release of 14 cows. We left our village at 10:00 am and arrived at noon. The trip was 57 River miles away and it was my longest snowmachine trip yet. The bison are taking to their new environment very well. The biologist said that they were adapting better than anticipated. At today's end, there will be 100 bison in the two corrals. No big Bulls yet, they will be coming this summer and their number will be 30. Right now there are some calves that are Bulls in the herd on the ground. 25ish cows are currently pregnant, and the herd needs to e released before these cows give birth.
    Shag is a very small village, and I am sure it's been a circus. Ktuu was on site (channel 2) as was national geographic. There were other media types on site as well. Got to see one of my students interviewed.
    The bison were beautiful. Couldn't get real good pics, since all I had was my phone. I did get a little
    video. I'm going to try and post pics now and video tomorrow when I am on the lap top. If the pics can't be posted from my phone, they will need to wait uNeil tomorrow.
    There will be a land access fee. Small though. $300 as of now. Also was told that they expect the herd to be ready for harvest in 3-15 years. They are really setting the herd up for success with the number released at once.
    No can't upload pics
    from my phone it seems. Pics and video hopefully tomorrow morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And some more.
    strange. Above had to attach of the 4 I attempted. Did exact same steps. Lap top tomorrow. Promise.

Great news. Thanks for the update. Photo uploader has been extremely screwy for a few months. Suspect it has something to do with a host software "upgrade". Who's that liberal hippie looking dude?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

That is pretty swampy country...I wonder how those Bison will do there? I imagine they will head East toward drier ground. The wolves and bears will appreciate those Bison calves. Bison will defend their young but they will still lose a few....

Following the container to the pens:

The Bison:

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Great news. Thanks for the update. Photo uploader has been extremely screwy for a few months. Suspect it has something to do with a host software "upgrade". Who's that liberal hippie looking dude?
    Liberal Hippie looking?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Liberal Hippie looking?
    Most assuredly!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Most assuredly!
    lol...I consider myself a liberal conservative hippie. Or conservative liberal...not sure.

Great photos and story. Thanks!
    Louis Knapp

There will be a land access fee. Small though. $300 as of now. Also was told that they expect the herd to be ready for harvest in 3-15 years. They are really setting the herd up for success with the number released at once.
    No can't upload pics
    from my phone it seems. Pics and video hopefully tomorrow morning.
    That's a gut punch... hadn't heard that little tidbit before. How much of the cost of pen rearing these animals for 20 years and transporting them to their land did this little village bear, that in order for any other Alaskans to access them, they must be paid? Releasing a publicly raised resource meant for the public to be able to utilize onto private land whose owners control the access and charge a fee does not sit right.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    That's a gut punch... hadn't heard that little tidbit before. How much of the cost of pen rearing these animals for 20 years and transporting them to their land did this little village bear, that in order for any other Alaskans to access them, they must be paid? Releasing a publicly raised resource meant for the public to be able to utilize onto private land whose owners control the access and charge a fee does not sit right.
    It's their land. If a moose walks on your property would you be right to be pissed if I shoot it without permission?

Brett

I think willphish has a point. Moose are everywhere naturally. Moose haven't been captured and raised at state expense for 20 years or more.
    However, the private land around shag isn't that big. Pretty sure that east of there not too far is Innoko NWR. These animals aren't going to just live on private land. If this program is successful, the animals will populate and expand their range.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
    It's their land. If a moose walks on your property would you be right to be pissed if I shoot it without permission?

Brett
    These animals belong to the residents of Ak.....had the locals raise them it would be different!
    They belong to all if us and should not be released on private land then charge me a fee to hunt them....come on Brett!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrettAKSCI View Post

Brett
    Actually you could only be pissed about them being on your land since you don't own the moose.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    It is a gut punch, but $300? Isn't that high. They also said that the land access fee would be revisited every five years (I believe is the number she said). I'm also not sure if the access fee is only if you hunt on native land or any land. There's not that much federal or state land that is a ady accessible in this area. Have you been to any of the four villages in this area? There are very few jobs. I look at it as a small fee that will bring revenue to communities with very little.
    One thing repeatedly mentioned was the bison belong to the state. How this has been a collaborative venture. The cost wasn't just burdened by the govt but by private industries as well. Doyon chose the GASH area because they have no plans to develop these four villages.

Did is you know 20% of the harvest will go to these four villages?
    It isn't all peaches and happiness out here. There are people that question this release.
    Believe it or not, there are people that didn't want the bison because of the greed and anger they could possibly bring.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I think willphish has a point. Moose are everywhere naturally. Moose haven't been captured and raised at state expense for 20 years or more.
    However, the private land around shag isn't that big. Pretty sure that east of there not too far is Innoko NWR. These animals aren't going to just live on private land. If this program is successful, the animals will populate and expand their range.
    Im not sure how it's going to work as they expand. They aren't predicting harvestable numbers for some years. One biologist told a student of mine that he thinks the kid will be able to hunt them right after he gets out of high school. The natives are wondering g how these bison are going to survive in this tundra/marshy land. It's interesting and exciting. I'll take the fee. Sucks? Sure, but it could have been a lot higher.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    These animals belong to the residents of Ak.....had the locals raise them it would be different!
    They belong to all if us and should not be released on private land then charge me a fee to hunt them....come on Brett!!!
    That's a whole can of worms. The release sight was chosen because it didn't trip up too many development projects be releasing endangered animals. This ended up being the best release sight because it was were everyone could agree due to low levels of development. Once that was decided it was necessary to address the fact that people hunting wood bison in the future would have to access the bison through private land. The fees were negotiated DOWN to this point (not by me) from higher amounts or varying amounts that different communities wanted. At they end of the day (like it or not) local communities still have private land no matter who owns the bison and if you are on it you will be trespassing. If you have further problems take it up with the communities and ADF&G. I was not in charge of the fees.

Brett

but it could have been a lot higher.
    Yep. Much higher AND varying from village to village. Luckily it's one lower fee that covers all villages even if it is $300. I've heard as soon as 10 years there will be hunt able populations. We'll see how it goes.

Brett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast