Thread: Perplexing Problem

Default Perplexing Problem

I put this on the forum before I spend big buck$ at a shop or blow my boat up with dynamite. I decided to change the wiring on my pot puller to 6ga vs. 8ga I was using.
    1. Installed all the new wire, put the batteries back in the boat to test. Ran the pot puller and on the outboard the is a little pig tail wire between the lower unit and the mid case that started SMOKING. Strange!!!

2. Disconnected all wires, installed a new solenoid, reconnected JUST THE PULLER, ran for about two min., all is well.

3. Connected all other wires, ran the puller, STILL SMOKING!!!!! (Battery switch is in off position)4. Disconnected puller, left all other wires connected, battery switch to No1, checked power trim, started motor and ran for a few minutes, All is OK. No wires heating up.

5. Puller is wired directly to battery. Engine and kicker are wired with a typical 1-2 -all switch

To me it seems like some kind of grounding issue, but I've checked all wires and connections. Engine system and puller seem to work correctly when run independently. When both systems are connected and the puller run SMOKE!!!!!

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Henry

Perplexing problem, no kidding!!!! and very confusing.

It would help me understand what is going on. What problems were you having that you needed to change the wiring from 8ga to 6ga?
    After you replace the wiring and the pig tail started smoking why did you add a solenoid instead of fixing the problem you caused?
    Why are you disconnecting all the wires each time you do something, instead of removing one wire at a time? Is there someone giving you advice?

With out knowing how the boat is wires it appears you have the (+) side of a battery going to the HULL, note I did not say GROUND. That is why the pig tail is smoking that is my best guess with out knowing more information.

You can not keep smoking wires you need to know the problem is fix with out causing more damage.

Once you find and fix the problem you need to go through the boat inspect and replace all the ground wires that you smoked.

Did you install a new negative and a new positive cable to the puller?

8ga was replaced (both neg. and pos.) with 6ga as the mfg. of my unit now ships it with 6ga wiring.(Safety-puller Lt. commercial) My unit always seemed to warm up quite a bit and I assumed the heavier wire might help that, and get a little less current loss with 6ga.
    On the first reconnect, when I tried to connect the puller it immediately started to run when I put the terminal on the battery. I assumed the solenoid was stuck in the on position. (Replaced solenoid) ( The puller uses a air over micro switch and solenoid.) With the new solenoid the puller now works correctly with just the puller connected to the battery.
    Pig Tail was replaced. I'm not going to try the puller again as I know the wire will fry as it sits now. N more testing until I find the root problem.

Have you checked the resistance values on all of your ground wires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All ground wires are good. Latest update: Rechecked all wire(from everything) all are good and connected to the right terminal. When the wire (Pig tail) heated up, the only thing different from when I use the puller on the water was that the battery switch was in the off position. SWITCHED to NO 1, RAN THE PULLER AND NO SMOKE!!!!!! STARTED MAIN MOTOR AND ALL IS WELL.

At least I will be able to sleep tonight. But I still do not understand why??????

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaM5 View Post
    All ground wires are good. Latest update: Rechecked all wire(from everything) all are good and connected to the right terminal. When the wire (Pig tail) heated up, the only thing different from when I use the puller on the water was that the battery switch was in the off position. SWITCHED to NO 1, RAN THE PULLER AND NO SMOKE!!!!!! STARTED MAIN MOTOR AND ALL IS WELL.

At least I will be able to sleep tonight. But I still do not understand why??????
    What keep me up at night is a problem that goes away. I know some day at the worst possible time it will some back, they always do.
    I would keep looking.........

Why isn't your puller connected to the battery switch? Pretty far fetched, but having that kind of pull directly off of the battery and using the same grounds as your motor (with the battery switch turned off) could've rerouted any excess power coming back into the batterys to ground at the motor... Just an idea.

How many batteries?are they 6v or 12v what voltage is your boat wired 12,24 ? Is it possible you have some batteries in series and your hooked to wrong positive and negative giving you wrong voltage and causing something to backfeed?

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    Why isn't your puller connected to the battery switch? .
    The unit came with a buss bar arrangement with circuit breakers attached. The way it is made would have been impossible to connect to a battery switch.Installation instructions said directly to battery.
    (Next project is to install an 80Amp surface mount breaker)
    I'm still looking into why this is with the battery switch in the off position causing a problem. I've been using this setup since 2007 and with the exception of getting a little warm, it has worked well. Can't say if I've ever ran the puller with the switch in off before.

Quote Originally Posted by JetbtnOrson View Post
    How many batteries?are they 6v or 12v what voltage is your boat wired 12,24 ? Is it possible you have some batteries in series and your hooked to wrong positive and negative giving you wrong voltage and causing something to backfeed?
    Its a 12 volt setup with the usual main and second battery wired to a 1, 2 both switch. Its hooked up correctly and has worked for 10yrs.

Ok you mentioned solenoid is it metal cased? I just fixed a truck that had similar problem and I found with my meter with all the battery switches off fuel tanks , mirror brackets etc. were 12v or hot with meter on negative and positive lead on those objects replaced solenoid problem solved you might try putting clamp of test light on negative and poking around for what is hot and not to narrow possibilities good luck

Replace your battery selector switch (or take it apart and try to clean it really well). From your description it sounds like you have corrosion or carbon tracking on your switch creating a tunnel diode effect when you run your pot puller.