Thread: Is it possible?

Default Is it possible?

Is it possible to work in Wasilla and then live in a lower property taxed area in another town?
    Would the drive be too long in the winter to drive from a lower property taxed area to Wasilla
    to work? Any town suggestions?
    I have printed out all the property taxes for different Municipalities.
    I have read in another forum that Wasilla was closer to Anchorage tax mills. But the 2014
    list says Wasilla is 9.662 mills and Anchorage is at 14.98 mills. Does anything else add more
    mills or taxes to the property tax debt? Like fire companies, etc... Or is it basically really 9.662.

I'm trying to juggle available jobs and the least amount of tax debt possible.

Did you know there is land an hour and a half northEast of Palmer/Wasilla that has zero property tax?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Property Taxes are Borough not city. Wasilla, Palmer, Willow are Mat-Su Borough, Anchorage is Anchorage Municipality (borough for all reasons)
    You buy land outside a borough and there is zero property taxes. (the state does not have any taxes)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Don't forgot to put a value on your time. Figure your time is worth at least as much as your employer pays you, personally I look at personal as at a premium and worth double what my employer pays me as I have so little of it. So if you're adding 2 or more hours per your working day to reduce your tax's as well as fuel cost and wear and tear on your vehicle, it'll probably pencil out that you're spending a lot to gain a little. If your property taxes exceed 25% of your income, then I guess it pencils out, but IMHO sounds like a bad deal to me.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

We live in Palmer. My wife commuted to Anchorage and hated it. She now works in Wasilla and has about a 12 minute commute. While I understand you want lower taxes, your home buying dollar goes a lot further here in the Valley than it does in Eagle River, Chugiak, or Anchorage(all are considered part of the Muni of Anc.). Why? ER and Chu are closer to Anchorage and more desirable as commuter communities(to Anchorage), plus you have the influence of JBER(military) that drives up the cost of available housing.

The Valley has homes, ON AVERAGE, 25%-40% cheaper for the same sqft than ER, CH and Anc. That's not to say any housing is "cheap" in Alaska. We looked for almost 18 months before we bought and found our best value here in Palmer.

When you talk about living in the Muni and working in Wasilla you are going against what most people do. You would be living in a high home cost area and commuting "the wrong direction" so to speak. I suggest visiting here and looking around for a week or so before you dive in.

As to living north of Wasilla, yes you can. But you have to get north of Cantwell to do it without property taxes. The Mat-Su Borough ends just south of Cantwell, but it is one heck of a drive. MapQuest puts it at 167 miles and just shy of 3 hours. Or you could go up past Eureka on the NE side of the Valley to what? Glenallen I think before you are out of the Borough. That drive is 2 hours 40 minutes or 150 miles.

I guess in closing, if you want to work in Wasilla, there are lots of homes available there, plus, Houston, Big Lake and on up the Parks HWY to the NW or Palmer, Sutton to the NE.

good luck on your decision.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

How much are the Mat-Su Borough property taxes? What's the mil rate? Can't be as bad as Anchorage. Don't Palmer & Wasilla have their own property taxes too or just a sales tax?
    Tim

Depends on the property.

I 40 acres of "remote" land in Willow. Borough assessment is 79,900
    Taxes are just at 1200 a year, but it is raw land.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    Or you could go up past Eureka on the NE side of the Valley to what? Glenallen I think before you are out of the Borough. That drive is 2 hours 40 minutes or 150 miles.
    The Lake Louise area is where the borough stops
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

When you try to work in Wasilla and live in a non property tax area to save money you are on the wrong trail.Your vehicle maintenance and fuel cost will far exceed the cost of property tax. Plus is the time that you give up. If it takes you an 2 hours per day extra over what it would take by living local X 50 weeks =100 hours = 2 1/2 extra weeks per year and that is if all goes according to plan.

Yes you are right it ends up that way. I should have clarified the next "town" is Glenallen. There isn't much for services between GA and Palmer excepting Sutton of course.mat-su_borough.gif
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I did the "reverse commute" (live in Eagle River, worked in Wasilla) for 5 years. While it's true that the traffic isn't anywhere near as bad as the other way around, the fact is that it was still 40 miles each way every day, and that adds up to substantial fuel costs and wear and tear on a vehicle. I will say that while I got real tired of the drive and associated costs, I did not get tired of the scenery.

I need to work on my math. 50 weeks x 10 hours per week does not come to 100 hrs. it is 500 hrs. that equates to about 12 weeks a year that you are on the road plus the 50 weeks that you have to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    I need to work on my math. 50 weeks x 10 hours per week does not come to 100 hrs. it is 500 hrs. that equates to about 12 weeks a year that you are on the road plus the 50 weeks that you have to work.
    I really didn't want to be the first one to say anything, but there are 52 weeks a year on my calendar. Or are you figuring the guys going to get a 2 week vacation right off the get go ???

No John , I figured that he would find a way to take sick days or some way to get off hunting & fishing so I was only giving him 50 weeks of work.I would hope that he could keep the job past one year and get some time off.

Isn't two weeks of vacation the norm? Every job I have ever had, had at least 2 weeks vacation within the first year, that you accumulate throughout the year.

We are in the process of moving. I've completed my research and I am willing to pay a little higher cost of living to not commute. I can't imagine what it would be like commuting an hour and half one way to save a little bit of money on property taxes. Want a solution to property tax? Rent

I'm strange too, but I couldn't imagine buying before I spent at least one winter here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    The Lake Louise area is where the borough stops
    Actually, to clarify, the MatSu borough ends on the Glenn hiway at the Little Nelchina River which is about an hour out of Glennallen. Or just a bit over an hour out of Palmer. The Borough does jog back in the north and east to encompass the lodges out lake Louise Rd but most of lake Louise rd is Not within the Borough.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Yukon, You would be paying the taxes either way if you rented the landlord would have it figured in,just would not be listed as tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Yukon, You would be paying the taxes either way if you rented the landlord would have it figured in,just would not be listed as tax.
    I know, but it just isn't the same. I hate paying property tax, but I don't mind renting for now...Actually I may hate renting more than paying taxes, but I have one more year before we decide to buy.

I replied a day or so ago and it didn't enter. I might have taken too long to push reply. Thanks for all your replies.

I've compared several different states. Trying to reduce the overall tax burden. Especially since they are always trying
    to increase taxes. Some states do not have death taxes, sales or state income taxes. But the property taxes are higher.
    The trick is to find a house within the lower taxed areas. Which is harder to do in AK because the Mat-Su borough is huge. Also
    balancing it with a job.

I always try to find the best angle of attack in most everything I do. I drive new car salesmen crazy. I usually have everything
    figured out before I ever go shopping. Then it's a matter of finding the right sales person at the right dealership. It doesn't hurt
    to play the dealerships off each other for competition. So I'm just trying to figure out how to get the most out of the least amount
    of money. So more money stays with us.

We would have to make much more money in the Wasilla or Anchorage areas to compensate for the differences from here to there.
    We'd have a lot larger house payment. Heating cost would also be much more because I burn all wood here. I save on heating because
    I cut and split everything we use. Then the taxes would more than double. I also like to carve things like bears with my chainsaws. So I would need to be away from neighbors. So I wouldn't be bothering them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowchaser View Post
    I replied a day or so ago and it didn't enter. I might have taken too long to push reply. Thanks for all your replies.

I've compared several different states. Trying to reduce the overall tax burden. Especially since they are always trying
    to increase taxes. Some states do not have death taxes, sales or state income taxes. But the property taxes are higher.
    The trick is to find a house within the lower taxed areas. Which is harder to do in AK because the Mat-Su borough is huge. Also
    balancing it with a job.

I always try to find the best angle of attack in most everything I do. I drive new car salesmen crazy. I usually have everything
    figured out before I ever go shopping. Then it's a matter of finding the right sales person at the right dealership. It doesn't hurt
    to play the dealerships off each other for competition. So I'm just trying to figure out how to get the most out of the least amount
    of money. So more money stays with us.

We would have to make much more money in the Wasilla or Anchorage areas to compensate for the differences from here to there.
    We'd have a lot larger house payment. Heating cost would also be much more because I burn all wood here. I save on heating because
    I cut and split everything we use. Then the taxes would more than double. I also like to carve things like bears with my chainsaws. So I would need to be away from neighbors. So I wouldn't be bothering them.
    AK is expensive, but it is a price we pay. I actually found that despite the higher cost of living (I moved from GA, where it was super cheap) we are able to actually save money. Why? B/C we don't have the convenience fees with living in a population center. We go out to eat only when we are in town (Anchorage), I may have spent $500 dollars in gas all year. Compared to $500 a month down south with our commutes. I walk to work, I walk everywhere unless I leave the village.

Neighbors? If you play that card right, you won't have any neighbors in the lower 48 sense of the term.
    Taxes are not that big of a deal if you think about it.