Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can am outlander 6x6

Default Can am outlander 6x6

Anybody ride the new Outlander 6x6? I have searched the web for any video or talk about somebody riding one, all I can Find is a video of a guy pulling a van and a bunch of videos of people riding them over stuff I could ride my bicycle over. I'm looking for a real review by somebody that does what alaskan hunters do with them, popping in and out of muskegs, side hill traversing, deep mud/water crossing. I'm pretty sold on the idea of one but it would be nice to see that SOMEBODY has actually put one through the paces, i still havent seen or heard anyone describe a hard trip on one of them.

Let me know your thoughts on these

Id be curious aswell. I havnt seen anyone on this site yet that actually owns one that could give his views. There was a reply to a post about can am 6x6 awhile back about someone who owned a Big boss 800 and a friend who had a new can am. Basically said the can am rode better, better fuel mileage, bit faster ( friend had the can am 6x6 650 model ).

That being said, would be nice to talk to someone who has personally put 500 + miles on 1 in some rugged Alaskan terrain. Im not in the market for a 6x6 anymore, but still nice to hear how they are performing. Im willing to bet whoever has them loves them to Death just as i love My 2013 and 2014 Big bosses

My hunting partner has one and used it on our hunt last fall. He was very impressed with it and is selling his CanAM MR now. As to specifics if you want to leave your phone number via PM, I will let him know that you would like to talk with him.

They look cool, I'm looking at the 1000, I think with some good tires I should be able to water skip it up the river and stay off of those rough trails :-)
    But seriously it would be nice to see one getting abused likeI will probably do with one, I was looking at the XMR as well but something about having that bed is appealing to me, I'll always have my chainsaw and beer cooler close by

Cant seem to get PM to work here, I'll have to try later, thanks though, it would be nice to hear some input from somebody that isnt some sort of industry rep

Anybody else got any input?

Personally, I don't see the need to spend all that extra money over a Polaris. I was eyeing the one at the sportsman show today, looked well built but time will tell, and the price tag pretty much made me look the other way. Didn't really care for the complex plastic bed it has, preferred my simple Polaris box better. Seat was more comfortable though. Just my input, never rode the can am one yet, but have lots of 6x6 time and miles on the Polaris rigs.

I was wondering about the bed also, I can usually break just about anything going through the trees, wonder how this will hold up. Thanks for your input

Well, I went ahead and bought one, should be picking it up this week. Soon as I can I'll put it to the test in some muskeg and what not, maybe post some video since there is nothing on youtube about these things except some amature hour videos of people riding them on stuff that I'm confident I could do on a 2wd sport bike, pretty frustrating that the people reviewing these things don't push them at all, they should all be fired. I'll let you know what I think of this thing as I get some seat time, tell you if it holds together, I'm hoping that it does. I've had pretty good luck with Can Am in the past

I'm looking forward to hearing your review and hopefully a video of it action. They look like a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by elpoyodiablo2000 View Post
    Well, I went ahead and bought one, should be picking it up this week. Soon as I can I'll put it to the test in some muskeg and what not, maybe post some video since there is nothing on youtube about these things except some amature hour videos of people riding them on stuff that I'm confident I could do on a 2wd sport bike, pretty frustrating that the people reviewing these things don't push them at all, they should all be fired. I'll let you know what I think of this thing as I get some seat time, tell you if it holds together, I'm hoping that it does. I've had pretty good luck with Can Am in the past

Congrats that looks like a great hunting unit.Please do some video and your comments

Did you get the 1000?

Fish - Polaris dropped the Big Boss 6x6 last year on account of emissions issues with their 800. Granted, dealers still have a few available, but if you're looking for new, Can Am is currently the only game going. I assume Polaris will jump back in eventually with their 850 or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Fish - Polaris dropped the Big Boss 6x6 last year on account of emissions issues with their 800. Granted, dealers still have a few available, but if you're looking for new, Can Am is currently the only game going. I assume Polaris will jump back in eventually with their 850 or similar.
    Polaris got an extension from the EPA to continue production of the 6x6 with the 800 motor for model year 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    Polaris got an extension from the EPA to continue production of the 6x6 with the 800 motor for model year 2015.
    They did but ONLY for the Ranger 6x6. As of current the Bigboss is out of the lineup
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Ok i just got the machine, haven't put much time on it yet since we still have a lot of snow, I did blast it up a snow bank and dropped off of a 5 foot nearly vertices ledge that I'm sure a four wheeler would have flipped over trying to drop off of. It rides very nice, feels like a Cadillac over the small potholes on my road. I'm working this week so hopefully next week i will get some time on it. One thing i am disappointed in is it has a 50 mph governor, there was no mention of this to me prior to purchasing it and I did a lot of reading. It also feels like they tuned it down some, not sure why, I have a feeling that with this set up the 650 will do everything the 1000 does on less gas, so that is a major disappointment. I have contacted the dealer and they are looking into it, and also sent an email to can am directly, hopefully they will have a resolution to this. I did read that some Europeans had theirs re flashed to the outlander 1000 program, not sure if they will do it here or if that post was BS. Aside from they pretty lame tune they put on this thing it drives great, I had mine 10 minutes and my buddy took it for a spin, he ordered one immediately after he got off of it.

Talked to dealer, sounds like they might have a solution, I'll keep you posted, since i live in Valdez it might be a couple weeks before I can get it back up there

Talked to the dealer again, sounds like they dont have a solution, I'm hoping they will take the machine back since it is not at all what they said it was when I purchased it. Pretty disapointing when they tell you it will do one thing then it doesnt, to their credit it sounds like can am changed setting and didnt tell them, they had no idea untill I called and complained, so I dont feel like they intentionally decieved me. I'll keep you posted with the outcome as I find out more, but as of now I see absolutely no reason to but this in a 1000, the 650 will do anything this thing will the way they have tuned the nuts and the top end out of it

I decided to give this thing a try so I'm keeping it for now, I'm hoping when I put bigger heaavier tires on it and run it in the slop that maybe I'll be able to appreciate what they have done to the gearing and clutching on this thing, as of now I'm less than impressed. they restricted the top end on this thing and I really cant find it on the bottom end, I'm not sure whats going on, but feels like clutching to me if I had to guess. I'm sure its more than capable offroad but I'm still looking for the HP that I bought, maybe the power will become more evident when i get more into the torque spectrum of things, but as of now I cant find it. My hopes are that with bigger tires in the mud this thing wont skip a beat, we will see, the XMR seems to have a lot more pull off of the line and I dont beleive that it is geared as low as this. More reviews coming, 4 more days of work then its play time!

Have you compared clutching specs between the XMR and 6x6? Seems like a pretty simple fix if that's all it is. Try calling some of the can am aftermarket dealers and get yourself a clutch kit. Gotta start somewhere....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast