Thread: Opportunities near Anchorage

Default Opportunities near Anchorage

Hey guys,

Long time follower of the site. I made my first trip out to Alaska last year and decided to come back this year again. I'll be back in August for a hunt and will be done with that around Aug. 30 or so. I am looking to hang around for a week or so after. Any recommendations as to what to fish for (near Anchorage)? I will end up renting a car and don't mind driving a ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagehunter View Post
    Hey guys,

Long time follower of the site. I made my first trip out to Alaska last year and decided to come back this year again. I'll be back in August for a hunt and will be done with that around Aug. 30 or so. I am looking to hang around for a week or so after. Any recommendations as to what to fish for (near Anchorage)? I will end up renting a car and don't mind driving a ways.
    Valley and turnagain arm salmon fishing should be at its peak at that time. Try ship or Campbell creeks right in town or head north and fish the parks highway streams, or head south and hit bird, Ingram, portage, or glacier creeks. Pinks, dogs and silvers will be present. Seward beaches are another option as is whittier. the kenai river should be good as well for trout and silvers. Check your reg book ( twice). Good luck.

Release Lake Trout

Thanks for the great info! That sounds like enough fishing to keep me busy for another week! I may want to through in a day of Halibut fishing too- if it is feasible and somewhat near by.

Rent a kayak. Seward should be great for silvers. Upper and middle Kenai River for trout and silvers. Deep cr or whiskey gulch for halibut. Homer for cohos and feeder kings.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

I hadn't thought of doing that. That may be the way to go. Thanks for the advice!

The reality is that you have to travel to get into any saltwater fishing. Whittier is the nearest port (1.5 hour drive if you time the tunnel opening right), but requires the furthest travel out of port to get into consistent halibut fishing. It does provide good silver salmon and rockfish fishing closer in, though. Seward is further (2.5 hours) and provides somewhat closer access to halibut along with great silver fishing. Homer/Deep Creek/Ninilchik are further yet (~5 hours), but provide very close access to great halibut fishing along with the potential for king salmon trolling.

I guess 5 hours wouldn't be too bad in the relative scope of things. If there is one place you could recommend for a non-res making a once-in-a-lifetime trip would you say Homer?

I still will plan on doing some freshwater fishing on my own, but probably looking into doing a charter or something...?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagehunter View Post
    I guess 5 hours wouldn't be too bad in the relative scope of things. If there is one place you could recommend for a non-res making a once-in-a-lifetime trip would you say Homer?

I still will plan on doing some freshwater fishing on my own, but probably looking into doing a charter or something...?
    What species is your priority? For halibut alone, probably Homer. For a multi-species charter and better scenery, I'd look hard at Seward. Actually, both ports can provide stellar multi-species trips - the more important factor is the actual charter. I'd contact Josh Brooks in Homer (Brooks Alaska Adventures) and Andy Mezirow in Seward (Crackerjack Charters). If either of them have room open on a multi-species trip, I would jump on it.

I'll look into those guys! I don't have a set "priority" because I've never done any of it before. I am open to trying out anything. I am just looking for a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    What species is your priority? For halibut alone, probably Homer. For a multi-species charter and better scenery, I'd look hard at Seward. Actually, both ports can provide stellar multi-species trips - the more important factor is the actual charter. I'd contact Josh Brooks in Homer (Brooks Alaska Adventures) and Andy Mezirow in Seward (Crackerjack Charters). If either of them have room open on a multi-species trip, I would jump on it.
    Also pro fish n sea out of seward, both are great captains and care about the resource.
    Bk

Crazy Ray charters out of whittier is awesome as well. For a once in a lifetime charter I would pick either Ray or Cracker Jack. The scenery on the water can't be beat. I live over in Soldotna an hour from Homer. And while the Halibut can be fast and furious out of there, I chose to drive all the way over and up to Whittier for the beauty and protected waters of the Sound. Also doing multi species each day out of Whittier and Seward is common place. Homer can't compare to that.

Good luck on your hunt, and enjoy your time on the water and here in Alaska. Put some miles on that rental!

I checked out these sites and all I can say is wow. They sure hook into some serious fish. I may have to check out both of these places and then spend the remainder of my time just fishing rivers.