Thread: Chandalar River Info

Default Chandalar River Info

I am booked on a DIY hunt from the Chandalar Lake downriver to Venetie. We are flying out of Coldfoot using Coyote air service in September and will be floating the river for 16 days. I have never been on this river but have been up hunting several times in Alaska so i kind of know what to expect. Anybody with any info on this river/area would be greatly appreciated. Please private message me. Thank you

There's a thread in the Hunting section. Looks like the same title & same author.

I'm not offering advice in a pm, but I'll throw some out here. The N Fork below the lake has a pretty good Boulder patch section. I would not run it. You say you are floating not paddling. I assume you will be in an inflatable of sorts. You will be fine for a couple miles below the lake. When the river turns more S-SW and drops, you will want to portage. I have seen (and heard of) some experienced paddlers swim that Boulder patch and you don't want to be swimming through there. Are you getting on a scheduled flight out of Venetie?

Yes sir. One of the people suggested i post this in the rafting section. I didn't know how to post to multiple forums and apologize for any confusion and multiple posts with the same message.

We are using 2 16ft cata-rafts and trying to stay light as possible. We are using Coyote Air (dirk out of coldfoot) for drop-off and pick-up. He is dropping us off on Sept. 13 and picking us up in Venetie on the 25th.

Light as possible with 2 16' cat rafts? Okay, if you say so....

I am going on a moose float hunt for 10 days Sept 11 - 20 2018 I saw your thread and was wondering if you could give me any tips on food or ANYTHING at all. My son and I are starting at the middle fork of the Chandalar River and going down about 30 miles, Thank You for ay help

Well here are my 2 cents:

I have outfitted a few trips up that way but never starting at the lake and NEVER NEVER taking out at Venetie......EVER! At your own risk. I do not allow my rafts to go to Venetie for fear of damage....

Raft selection...In my opinion your Cat is too large and I think your better off with a lighter round boat. Most 16-18 foot cats weigh 175-200+ pounds and have way to many parts. Check with your flight service and ask for advice on the Cat vs a round boat. Cat frames are major pains in the Arss on fly out trips...To many sticks and way to many parts

One outfitters opinion..

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Venetie is Indian Country. That is a reservation, not someplace you want to be landing with moose meat. You should find a new place to hunt and maybe a smarter pilot...

Quote Originally Posted by div116 View Post
    I am going on a moose float hunt for 10 days Sept 11 - 20 2018 I saw your thread and was wondering if you could give me any tips on food or ANYTHING at all. My son and I are starting at the middle fork of the Chandalar River and going down about 30 miles, Thank You for ay help
    Where are you getting dropped off on the middle fork?