Thread: Chandalar River Info

Default Chandalar River Info

I am booked on a DIY hunt from the Chandalar Lake downriver to Venetie. We are flying out of Coldfoot using Coyote air service in September and will be floating the river for 16 days. I have never been on this river but have been up hunting several times in Alaska so i kind of know what to expect. Anybody with any info on this river/area would be greatly appreciated. Please private message me. Thank you

There's a thread in the Hunting section. Looks like the same title & same author.

I'm not offering advice in a pm, but I'll throw some out here. The N Fork below the lake has a pretty good Boulder patch section. I would not run it. You say you are floating not paddling. I assume you will be in an inflatable of sorts. You will be fine for a couple miles below the lake. When the river turns more S-SW and drops, you will want to portage. I have seen (and heard of) some experienced paddlers swim that Boulder patch and you don't want to be swimming through there. Are you getting on a scheduled flight out of Venetie?

Yes sir. One of the people suggested i post this in the rafting section. I didn't know how to post to multiple forums and apologize for any confusion and multiple posts with the same message.

We are using 2 16ft cata-rafts and trying to stay light as possible. We are using Coyote Air (dirk out of coldfoot) for drop-off and pick-up. He is dropping us off on Sept. 13 and picking us up in Venetie on the 25th.

Light as possible with 2 16' cat rafts? Okay, if you say so....