Thread: Looks like the hammer fell on Maw and his son

Default Looks like the hammer fell on Maw and his son

The system works!

If guilty of the Montana charges, those are the least of his worries. AK dividend fraud will be very harsh.

Productive thread Yukon. I would rather discuss your legal problems, have any?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Thanks for the thread Yukon.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Productive thread Yukon. I would rather discuss your legal problems, have any?
    It is an outdoor thread and IT IS ACCEPTABLE to comment on criminal fishing and hunting charges when alleged or convictied. Instead of bashing each other be productive. This is a popular person they were doing this, really? What else were they up to? Are there others like him? How do we stop them? I hunted in Montana a few years back my son did not get a mule deer. Guys like these can take so much away from us. Anytime you find a person breaking hunting and fishing laws shout it off the mountain top and ask why? Thanks for showing us all where the story was located.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerline View Post
    It is an outdoor thread and IT IS ACCEPTABLE to comment on criminal fishing and hunting charges when alleged or convictied. Instead of bashing each other be productive. This is a popular person they were doing this, really? What else were they up to? Are there others like him? How do we stop them? I hunted in Montana a few years back my son did not get a mule deer. Guys like these can take so much away from us. Anytime you find a person breaking hunting and fishing laws shout it off the mountain top and ask why? Thanks for showing us all where the story was located.
    A Montana hunting violation thread does not belong in the Alaska fisheries management forum.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

You could also say it doesn't belong in an Alaskan paper couldn't you? But the point of it all knowing is that if one guide or lodge or clerk double checks someone's license information before letting them buy a resident license here or anywhere because they read the story or this forum, we all win.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerline View Post
    Instead of bashing each other be productive.
    By bashing Maw?

In fairness, I could see myself posting the link to an article such as this, but I don't think it deserves its own thread. Mr. Maw has been the subject of enough threads. This one, like others, will go downhill fast I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    The system works!
    No, the system doesn't always work. Guys like Maw are (appropriately, if guilty) strung up for misdemeanor violations, while elitists like Penney (who I would bet had a hand in digging dirt on Maw) skate on fraudulent activity to the tune of millions of dollars because they have friends in high places.

And yet a carpetbagger who claims to be an Alaskan resident, while simultaneously claiming to be a Maryland resident is somehow elected Senator. Go figure.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    And yet a carpetbagger who claims to be an Alaskan resident, while simultaneously claiming to be a Maryland resident is somehow elected Senator. Go figure.
    You mean the guy who became a resident 20 years ago and later bought a house in Maryland while he was working for the state department? The same guy who's wife was a staffer to Ted on his DC staff? That guy?
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I think we should stop commenting on this. It is a sad situation for the State and Dr Maw's family and friends. He has not been convicted but it looks really bad and the process should continue. However, it has nothing to do with Alaska Fisheries Management and Dr. Maw is now a private citizen and we should respect that aspect of his life. More importantly he has a family that lives in Alaska who are suffering for something they did not do. The paper has done its job and made a short and to the point article which is very responsible. We should leave this alone right now. He will get his punishment if convicted in either State and I am sure hehas suffered more than any fine can do. I have not talked to him since he left Alaska but I can imagine his humiliation.

I will end this by saying that I have seen really good people make major mistakes when it comes to hunting and fishing. If you look at the dip net fishery the number of violations is very high but protection tries to be fair and recognize that people make bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    You mean the guy who became a resident 20 years ago and later bought a house in Maryland while he was working for the state department? The same guy who's wife was a staffer to Ted on his DC staff? That guy?
    Yea, that guy who was claiming to be an Alaskan resident; voting in the Alaska general election, while simultaneously claiming Maryland as his principal residence and receiving a Maryland resident property tax exemption for same. That guy.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I think we should stop commenting on this. It is a sad situation for the State and Dr Maw's family and friends. He has not been convicted but it looks really bad and the process should continue. However, it has nothing to do with Alaska Fisheries Management and Dr. Maw is now a private citizen and we should respect that aspect of his life. More importantly he has a family that lives in Alaska who are suffering for something they did not do. The paper has done its job and made a short and to the point article which is very responsible. We should leave this alone right now. He will get his punishment if convicted in either State and I am sure hehas suffered more than any fine can do. I have not talked to him since he left Alaska but I can imagine his humiliation.

I will end this by saying that I have seen really good people make major mistakes when it comes to hunting and fishing. If you look at the dip net fishery the number of violations is very high but protection tries to be fair and recognize that people make bad decisions.
    I agree that he should be left alone now.

Yukon is getting what he wanted in this thread - divisiveness - smearing of a private individual. And you guys took the bait. The best way to expose yukon for what he is, is to ask him an honest question...

Yukon, who did you support for BOF appointee? Why? Did they have ties to KRSA? Do you support the extermination of certain users ie: the set net ban? Why?

Strahan can have whatever comment policy he wants, and because of that I think we should withhold comment on this development.

That said, I think it's important for the public to be fully informed about the character of people that the governor tries to appoint to manage our resources. I feel sorry for people who volunteer for such critique, but such critique is necessary and citizens shouldn't stop paying attention as soon as a person is removed from power. If we investigate all of Walkers appointees we end up seeing a pattern. So far, the pattern is a little murky, but the more attention we pay the more the pattern will emerge.

This, however, is probably not the forum for that investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    A Montana hunting violation thread does not belong in the Alaska fisheries management forum.
    You are wrong about that hoose35. Maw was a candidate for both the Commissioner's job and a spot on the BOF. His "alleged" criminal behavior (not just a mistake as some of you and other supporters who are still in denial claim) go right to the heart of the reasons why he was unfit for the jobs. It is so relevant that just about anything else pales in comparison. You and others sang his praises as someone who would be ethical and fair minded in serving on the Board. When anyone ( me included) came out with anything that opposed yours and a handful of other views on this forum, you were quick to criticize. I started a thread asking who should be considered if Maw is not confirmed and was hammered by some who believed it inappropriate to talk about others who might be qualified. That thread, has received 159 replies and over 7000 hits. so maybe it was topical. I personally pointed out Maw's flaws and continued to be flogged by some, you included. Now that your guy has been proved to have been 100% unworthy of either being recommended by the BOF to be commissioner, or being appointed to the BOF, you want to no longer discuss the matter, claiming Maw's Montana criminal charge does not belong on this forum. Well, if it is Alaska criminal charges that might make you think it is a germane topic for this forum, hang in there. The Alaska charges are coming. Maw cannot expect to receive PFDs while claiming residency benefits from another state and hope that Alaska prosecutors will ignore it. PFD fraud is taken VERY seriously! When I pointed out Maw's flaws, you and a few others who were so enthralled with the prospect of getting a "sure thing" on the Board, that you and they were blinded by the facts. Now some of you just want minimize his conduct or just hide from the result. Can't blame you for not wanting to be seen with egg on your face. The Governor also rushed to judgement and he, too, might have a bit of face to clean.

As for his replacement, I like Robert. But it is highly unlikely that he will be confirmed. I know; we all would like to see someone from the peninsula appointed. But the fact is Anchorage/ Mat Su is where the most voters live and the most legislators live. Do the math. Bobbi would have been far better than the former chairman, been accessible to all of us, and would not have had her mind already made up as was often the case with the chairman. Regrettably for him, Robert has the disadvantage of getting too much support from the same people who supported Maw. If i were him, i would beg you to stop supporting me. It is the kiss of death to his hopes for confirmation.

Nerka nailed it. Time to move on, folks.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay