Thread: Garmin TR1 Autopilot

Default Garmin TR1 Autopilot

My boat has this setup, with a switch in the cockpit that turns the system on. The button has become corroded and will not work. Haven't had any luck finding replacement switches on line. Any leads appreciated.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Well I was able to touch base with someone from Garmin. That switch is $110! They have a program where you have to take the switch and the black box and send it to garmin, they send you a new one back. Wow.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I almost bought a TR-1, a lot of people said they were the cat's meow in Oregon and Washington. Then I started to hear that they have issues with parts, and they are sensitive to set up. But all things electrical go bad on boats eventually. The TR-1s are $$$ to begin with. A good hydraulic steering system with a tie bar to the kicker is best, put an autopilot off the main helm.

Sobie2

I'm hoping not to have issues with mine, it's on a 5 year old boat that's never been used with since Sea Trials and I need to figure it out, might be some brain damage.
    Redleader standing by

Sobie2, what kind of autopilots are you referring to in mentioning ones that work off the main helm? Thanks

There is a replacement switch that is a lot less. I sold my TR-1 last summer with a corroded switch, the buyer paid like $30 on Ebay or somewhere. Do some creative google searches and it will come up on some other forums.

Simrad make a nice pilot.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I almost bought a TR-1, a lot of people said they were the cat's meow in Oregon and Washington. Then I started to hear that they have issues with parts, and they are sensitive to set up. But all things electrical go bad on boats eventually. The TR-1s are $$$ to begin with. A good hydraulic steering system with a tie bar to the kicker is best, put an autopilot off the main helm.

Sobie2
    That's kind of defeating the purpose of the TR-1. The whole Idea is to use the TR-1 so you can autopilot your kicker alone, so you're not putting insane amount of hours onto your main and having to change the oil all the time. The hydraulic steering only works when the main is running, so you would have to have both engines running to steer the kicker which doesn't make sense.