Thread: Newbie here, travelling to Alaska with quads...where to go?

Default Newbie here, travelling to Alaska with quads...where to go?

Heading north from southwest British Columbia to Alaska this summer, and upon doing my research on 'where' to quad, I thought perhaps asking some of you folks, it might be worthwhile to get some advice on the better rides? Like here, there are plenty of places to ride, but many stand out over the others in comparison, as we are two married couples that have ridden for a better part of a decade now. We took our wives up the Alaska Highway portion that is in B.C. a few years back, rode in a good 70 miles or so for a week, and had a great time. Of course on that trip we pulled quad trailers behind us, but this time around it will just be our quads and us! We do have a 7 week timeline for this trip, so it should allow us some 'seat time', and we especially love the rides with 'scenery' of course. We also belong to an atv club here, and have done our fair share of technical riding, albeit we're not so fond of long muddy rides, and love the trails more than forest service roads. We'll be RVing it on this trip, so camping will be another factor.
    If time allows, our thoughts where to perhaps get right up to Deadhorse, but if we find lots of riding available to us, we may not make it that far. Have been along the Dempster 30+ years ago, so I have an idea of the long stretches between towns of course.

Any advice would be more than welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Powerstroke2000

I highly recommend riding Eureka on the highway west of Glenallen an hour or so. Ride to the north side of hwy towards Tyone Creek, Horsepasture pass, Wall of China etc. Wide open country with big views and fun topography. Easy parking for your rig, fuel just a mile away and a little restaurant. Can be dusty or muddy but with a little care can ride about as far as anywhere in the state on looping trails. Bring a map and GPS and explore.

I will second the Eureka area for what you are after. Most of the state is muskeg swamps. Lots and lots of mud and nasty stucks. Eureka has some of this but very little compared to most areas of the state. Scenery is second to none and hundreds of miles of trails. You could spend your whole stay there and not cover everything. Day trip back to the road to your rv lodge and fuel. Lots of river crossings and water running but nothing too terrible if you don't catch big rains.

As for running the haul road up to Deadhorse I'll say this. Do some searches on this. First. Once you get much out of Fairbanks no off road vehicles allowed to you will be dragging a trailer for no reason. While that road is run by dozens of semi trucks daily, it is still a gravel road that is very tough on vehicles. Lots of flat tires and broken windshields. They view and trip may be worth it to you but go prepared and do some homework ahead of time. It would be tough in an rv. Not saying it can't be done. But it's a much different road than the alcan.
    Enjoy your trip! You will love it.

Powerstroke2000
    I agree with BTK & Theultrarider Eurekais a awsome place to ride lots of trails and the water crossings all have arock bottom
    Another place to check on would be theAlpine creek lodge on the Denali Highway
    And I would not think of going to deadhourse to ride your quads

I could spend weeks on the scenic Denali highway. Particularly around Tangle lakes and the Valdez creek/Windy creek areas.

Also, head up the steese highway north of fairbanks to US creek rd/Quartz creek trail.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Thanks so much for the info folks, as it's much appreciated! The Deadhorse trip...well, I suppose I was factoring in that it would be similar to the Dempster to Inuvik? The thoughts of seeing 'wildlife' is what is most inspiring, as we read that it's possible to even see a Muskox, which would be exciting in itself...especially in the wild. Have seen many caribou, elk, moose and Grizzly in the past (my brother and I hunt in northern B.C. as well) but have never come across a Muskox. Other than in a zoo, have never seen a Polar bear either...although I'm not big on seeing bears anyway. If not going to Deadhorse, it would give us many more days to check out the other area's you folks have mentioned here anyway! We will be stopping at Denali National Park as well, so our hope is to do some riding there, as one atv tour group mentioned we where welcome to just follow behind them if we so desired.
    The last time we where there 30+ years ago, we where able to drive to the far end and back, whereas it seems it's now become a commercial enterprise, where one now has to ride a bus. Not perfect, but will have to do to get/see the area. I can only imagine that it's because a few have once again made it difficult for the masses, and then a commercial entity decided to bus everyone in and make some $$? Hope to get to see some glaciers as well, as we have quite a drive from here in B.C. to see them!
    Thanks again!
    2012 Outlander CanAm 650 Max XT, 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700.

About any area north of Anchorage has trails. Just be careful crossing streams and know they rise when it rains or the sun melts the glacier. Also, some of the river bars have a nasty mixture of silt and mud that will suck a death grip on a quad and pull your boots off. Be careful as help in Alaska is often slow to arrive.