Thread: Kodiak guides

Default Kodiak guides

My friend and I hunted with Scott Mileur on Kodiak last spring. While I killed a great bear, my friend took a lesser bear of his own choosing. He isn't satisfied and wants to return in 2018. I will accompany him, but am undecided if I will hunt myself. He was not guided by Scott and Scott is booked and will not be available to guide him personally in 2018. He is nearing 60 yrs old and doesn't want to wait. He asked me to look into the other well known guides and I must admit the thought of hunting another area is kinda appealing to me as well. I spoke to Harms about the Alilulak area and Brendael about his area in Dog Salmon. I have not spoken to Kirstein about Deadman Bay. Also Munsey has come up as a possibility also. He either wants the outfitter or a long term guide who's been in with the outfitter for many years. He could wait on Scott but he's reluctant to do that. Any thoughts?

All good options!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I would go with BRWNBR Jake as you always get to hunt with the owner and he only has to worry about the camp he and his hunter are in.

http://alaska-bearhunting.com/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If he shot one in spring of 2014 he has to wait till spring of 2018 any way. One bear every four years.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Rohrer Bear Camp. Dick and Sam run a great operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would go with BRWNBR Jake as you always get to hunt with the owner and he only has to worry about the camp he and his hunter are in.

http://alaska-bearhunting.com/
    I'll reiterate this suggestion. For a personal hunt where details matter, you couldn't do better than Jake from what I've seen and read.

Redneck,

If one merely looks at the size of the bears taken with Dennis Harms' outfit then I'd suggest considering his services. In a personal conversation he was relating to me that the size of the bears was as good or better than in all of his last 40 years of guiding. Considering Mr. Harms is more than 70y/o I'd say that is pointing towards the chance for a particularly large trophy. Don't let his age fool you, however, as he is in outstanding condition...and a wealth of experience goes a long way in making the correct calls for judging size and trophy quality. Good luck no matter what! This is an awesome trophy opportunity!

Iceking02

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    If he shot one in spring of 2014 he has to wait till spring of 2018 any way. One bear every four years.
    And he'd have to draw a tag again as well if he wanted to hunt on Kodiak? The pennisula would be his only option for 2018 if he didn't draw Kodiak right?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    And he'd have to draw a tag again as well if he wanted to hunt on Kodiak? The pennisula would be his only option for 2018 if he didn't draw Kodiak right?
    Drawing is mostly a formality for guy guiding in the fed areas. They are allotted x amount of hunters and there are that many tags for that area for non resident

Tags are 100% draw when using a guide provided he has an exclusive area. There are some guides with "native" ties that can apply hunters in the guide draw and hunt private land within the refuge area. We were told it's every 4th regulatory year. Which as I understand starts in the fall. Ie: Fall 2013 thru spring 2014, Fall 2014 thru spring 2015 and so on. I think we could actually hunt the fall of 2017. Thanks for the replies so far.

Learn something new every day!

I have to recommend Tom Kirstien at Deadman's Bay.

he's been there for sa long time, his number one guide is Atlin..

Both are really good people.

Heck, Atlin even sent me some fish, when he found out doc recommended more salmon and I couldn't fish due to hospital.

Chris

FWIW, I'm going to Frazer Lake on April 23, and I'm hunting with Alaska Trophy Safaris - Dennis Harms.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Romo, please report how your hunt goes. Have a a great time.