Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bore +p ammo

Default Buffalo Bore +p ammo

Any of you guys use this ammo? Kill any critters with it? The 255's shoot pretty good out of my 45 ACP. My pistol has a 15 round mag capacity and am thinking about taking it to Kodiak next month for a camp gun. Thoughts?

Got some, same report... works good, no problems. I compared the "thumps" on a large steel the BB had more "thump" than regular hardball but then I hit the plate with a 44 mag. As expected, much more thump.

Slim

Should be a decent load for thinned skinned critters. But for protection against a Kodiak Brown Bear???..... Is that what you mean by "camp gun"?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and dont have one, youll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Should be a decent load for thinned skinned critters. But for protection against a Kodiak Brown Bear???..... Is that what you mean by "camp gun"?
    Yeah, sort of, I guess. I'll have my 300 RUM with me obviously, but I was thinking for having the pistol for in the tent when space is more limited. I never take nor use a secondary firearm like a pistol when out hunting, but Kodiak is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeah, sort of, I guess. I'll have my 300 RUM with me obviously, but I was thinking for having the pistol for in the tent when space is more limited. I never take nor use a secondary firearm like a pistol when out hunting, but Kodiak is different.
    I ALWAYS take a second gun, but if your going to lug one, particularly on Kodiak, a .45 acp wouldn't be in my tent. Take a look at the ballistics for that load and decide for yourself. I would take it if you had no other option however.

If its what you have take but make sure the recoil spring is up to the extra power.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If you can, buy a Clark conversation kit for the 460 Rowland. That is 44 magnum power.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Any of you guys use this ammo? Kill any critters with it? The 255's shoot pretty good out of my 45 ACP. My pistol has a 15 round mag capacity and am thinking about taking it to Kodiak next month for a camp gun, Thoughts?
    I'd do that.

If I were to carry a 45 ACP on Kodiak it would surely be a good idea to use most powerful ammo, because of the bears, and your gun shoots it good.

Remember the guy who kilt a bear in McKinley Park with a 45 ACP. I dunno what kinda ammo he used.

The last time I checked, the Rowland wasn't even close to the 44 Mag. power wise.

What kinda 45 ACP pistol do you have?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'd do that.

If I were to carry a 45 ACP on Kodiak it would surely be a good idea to use most powerful ammo, because of the bears, and your gun shoots it good.

Remember the guy who kilt a bear in McKinley Park with a 45 ACP. I dunno what kinda ammo he used.

The last time I checked, the Rowland wasn't even close to the 44 Mag. power wise.

Smitty of the North

Ya, he shot the bear, it ran off and they found it later.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...8d457d948.html

"The incident was first reported Saturday in Daily News-Miner columnist Kris Capps' blog. Fister confirmed Sunday that two backpackers came across signs of the bear while hiking along the edge of Tattler Creek. The lead hiker then drew a .45-caliber pistol and, when the bear emerged and charged the second hiker, a woman, fired roughly nine shots in its direction."
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and dont have one, youll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If its what you have take but make sure the recoil spring is up to the extra power.
    +1. Fired some hot Corbon in mine once and the increased recoil knocked the paint out of my three dot sights. It's mighty hard on the gun if the spring's too soft for the load.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Ya, he shot the bear, it ran off and they found it later.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...8d457d948.html

"The incident was first reported Saturday in Daily News-Miner columnist Kris Capps' blog. Fister confirmed Sunday that two backpackers came across signs of the bear while hiking along the edge of Tattler Creek. The lead hiker then drew a .45-caliber pistol and, when the bear emerged and charged the second hiker, a woman, fired roughly nine shots in its direction."
    So, what's your point? They found the bear DEAD.

"rangers hiked to the site and at 6 p.m. Saturday found a dead bear in willow thickets close to a handful of gun casings."

The bear died, and DIDN'T kill or injure either of the hikers.

The shots must have hurt the bear enough to cause it to change plans, and then die.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

So, what's your point? They found the bear DEAD.

"rangers hiked to the site and at 6 p.m. Saturday found a dead bear in willow thickets close to a handful of gun casings."

The bear died, and DIDN'T kill or injure either of the hikers.

The shots must have hurt the bear enough to cause it to change plans, and then die.

SOTN
    I had no point in mind. I merely stated what happened and posted a link to the article about it. It is what it is.

I suspect it was 45 autoloader of some flavor since they say 9 rounds were fired but I don't recall an article that state what the exact round was other than .45 caliber. As we know there several it could have been. 45 WinMag, 460 Rowland, 45 Auto Rim, 45 Auto.

I'm impressed he got nine rounds off.

I'd do that.

Smitty of the North
    The pistol is a FN FNX. It's actually designed for +p ammo and comes with a stronger/beefier spring.

That load should about equal the Ol' 45 Colt. 255er at about 8-900fps. I load these as plinkers in my 45 Colts. Not the new Ruger Only loads. Which is a 355er at 1200ish.

The Ol' 45 Colt has put lots of holes in lots of critters both 2 legged and 4 legged. Not sure how many Coast Brownies though.

I fished with an Alaskan one time. He carried a 45 semi-auto. When I asked about that choice he said something like: "I can hit with it and bears are smart, pretty soon they don't want to get shot anymore, if they're not dead they will likely be very discouraged and leave." I suppose it works like that sometimes but maybe not all the time.

Slim

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Wallet View Post
    I fished with an Alaskan one time.
    Did he Elbow you?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I had no point in mind. I merely stated what happened and posted a link to the article about it. It is what it is.

I suspect it was 45 autoloader of some flavor since they say 9 rounds were fired but I don't recall an article that state what the exact round was other than .45 caliber. As we know there several it could have been. 45 WinMag, 460 Rowland, 45 Auto Rim, 45 Auto.
    OK, I see. I just ASSUMED it was a 45 ACP.

I thought you meant to imply that 45 ACP wasn't powerful enough.

Is 45 ACP powerful enough? With what we might consider a Correct Bullet?

I dunno, but I'd risk it in an Auto, over a Revolver shooting 454, because I'm sure I couldn't handle the recoil well enough to stake my life on it. I'd go with 45 Colt, though.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I dunno, but I'd risk it in an Auto, over a Revolver shooting 454, because I'm sure I couldn't handle the recoil well enough to stake my life on it. I'd go with 45 Colt, though.
    That's what I'm thinking as well. I'd rather get a bunch of accurate shots off than just one or maybe two shots. I do have a 6.5" stainless Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull, but I shoot my FN FNX way better. I've had it for a year now and have over 1k shot through it, mostly handloads.

The pistol is a FN FNX. It's actually designed for +p ammo and comes with a stronger/beefier spring.
    "the FNX-45 is a double-action/single-action hammer-driven pistol with highly enhanced ergonomics. Its manual safety/decocking levers, slide stop lever and magazine release are all fully ambidextrous for ease of operation with either hand and from any firing position. Both the slide and barrel are stainless steel. The FNX-45s checkered polymer frame has multiple interchangeable backstraps with lanyard eyelets."

And, 10 OR 15 round magazine.

Thanks. That sounds like a mighty fine gun.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast