Thread: My bear is home!

Thumbs up My bear is home!

I just thought I'd share my bear with those who asked for me to post it once it was rugged. I have to say Kathy at Foxy Beaver Taxidermy in Big Lake is getting ALL my business. I am totaly happy with the work she did on my very first bear, between my husbands expertise in the field, skinning and fleshing him, he turned out GREAT! I picked a closed mouth and natural ear set. I'll also tell you that the whole thing cost us $475 since he was already tanned when we took him in. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to forward her information. The photos dont do him justice, he's 6'9, 20 inch skull and we were told he was in his last days when I took him (25+ years).

Thanks for sharing in the excitement with me. We'll be spending the evening finding that perfect spot for my first trophy!

Deb
    Attached Images Attached Images

very nice bear
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Congrats Deb. I'm interested in Kathy's info. I have a brown that I might get done. Thanks

I'm always glad to see a closed-mouth mount. It looks more natural. I have a couple that way. But when people look at them, they ask about and want to see the teeth. Haha. So i show them a skull.

I've had several rugs made over the years and one head mount (I jus' love Black Bears).

I have always wanted a full-size mount so I got my last (ever) blackie mounted full-size. I sent it south to a great taxidermist. My cousin picked it up and will keep it at his house for a while (until I retire). Right now, all I have is a picture and the memories.

Good looking rug, Huntress. It is hard to find a taxidermist that charges a reasonable price, does a good job and can get the mount done in a decent amount of time.

Thanks everyone! I think I made a great choice, I wanted a natural looking rug. He looks just like he did when he looked up at me. She captured his eye color, ear set, head and mouth perfectly. I chose black and grey felt to outline him in.
    He found his spot in the house lastnight but hanging him was an ordeal! haha.....
    She only had my hide for two months and I have to say I couldnt be happier!

Deb
    please send me the info for her also. When I get my first bear I would like to get a rug done for my wife. Thanks

Default Information Please

Please forward your taxidermist information. I think that is wonderful work.

bearslayer@gci.net

Default Nice!

Congratulations on a beautiful trophy! I like the gray on black felt; most of them are black on black. Yours looks great!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Nice!

Congratulations on a beautiful trophy! I like the gray on black felt; most of them are red on black. Yours looks great!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thumbs up Beautiful!!

That is a gorgeous trophy. I believe black bears make some of the best mounts. Seeing yours in a natural pose really captures the spirit of the animal in my opinion. I never understood why people wanted the wide open mouth / agressive looking mounts. I mean seriously, have you ever seen a white tail mounted with his teeth showing ready to attack? Again, great trophy!

Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by RTC KJN View Post
    I mean seriously, have you ever seen a white tail mounted with his teeth showing ready to attack?
    Shannon

LOL... That would be a sight to see.
    I have seen a deer mounted with teeth showing though, he was eating some corn.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

LOL! I'd have to agree, I have always been one of these folks that pick apart mounts. Like seeing a cat mounted in an unnatural pose, or seeing snow on a mount where the animal has summer fur/feathers...(just examples)

I wanted to remember my bear the way he was when we crossed paths, That was important to me. Kathy certainly captured every detail on this bear, right down to his eyes. I hope those of you who requested her information enjoy working with her, we sure did!

Deb