Thread: McArthur Pass

Default McArthur Pass

Has anyone ever fished McArthur Pass? I have to run a boat from Seward to Homer in late May and I've always thought that would be a fun place to troll thru for kings. I'm thinking of leaving a few hours early to do this but if anyone's ever tried it I'd sure like to hear your stories. I'm probably the worlds worst salmon fisherman but sure have fun trying.
    Several years ago I was going thru the opposite direction when up ahead we saw an eagle dive on what we thought was a fish. It missed and circled back around for another pass. We said that must be one stupid fish to stay on the surface long enough to give an eagle another try. As we got closer we saw that it wasn't a fish, it was a duck. As we got still closer the eagle, having made several passes that we'd seen, flew up and rested in a tree to let us go by. As we passed the duck we saw that it's head was torn open, it was dragging a wing, and was barely able to make headway. I mentioned to all on the boat that in the future, when I thought I was having a bad day I'd make sure and remember that duck. He was having a REALLY bad day.

Fished throughout it and only caught rockfish and lings.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Yep. Never caught a butt there. Never tried for a salmon there. I've seen some sweet rollers before. And giant piles of sea foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Rogers has some pictures of a big king he caught right by the passage. There's some fantastic king fishing about 15-20 miles east of there too.
    Boatless

I think this is what Brad is referring to. Total random catch on halibut gear. Hooked it on the way to the bottom on circle hooks while halibut fishing.

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Charterboat Operator

[QUOTE=jrogers;1470200]I think this is what Brad is referring to. Total random catch on halibut gear. Hooked it on the way to the bottom on circle hooks while halibut fishing.

[/QUOTE

i hope that was followed instantly with a troll herring dropped on a lighter rod! nice fishey!]