Thread: Need to raise my settled cabin

Default Need to raise my settled cabin

I have a cabin on Flat Lake Island in the Big Lake system. The canin sits on 8" wood pilings with 8" beams suporting the cabin. It's settled about 3". Looking for some kind of adjustable piling tops and can use as spacers and jack up later if needed. I have ablut 4' of pile and could use some ideas on how best to jack it up as well. Might be interested in finding a contractor to do the work as well if anyone has any recomendations.

How old is the cabin/pilings? What is the size of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was built in 68. 12x16 or so. It has two additions built later that are not settling.

Here's a photo if that helps...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would get some metal plates to bolt to the sides of beams and post then jack up the beams use 2x8 material to go on top of post.Work your way around the cabin when all level bolt on the plates . Then If you ever need to level again just take plates loose and shim up.

Doing what big bend says sounds good. If you can shoot all the pilings with a transit then raise them all to your tallest one would be ideal if you have access to one.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    Doing what big bend says sounds good. If you can shoot all the pilings with a transit then raise them all to your tallest one would be ideal if you have access to one.
    A transit is nice, but all you need is a length of clear tubing that you fill with water. attach one so that the end of the tube is even with the top of the tallest piling. Fill until water runs out the end, and the height of water in you clear tubing is the height of the tallest piling.

If that makes sense.

Water levels work great also!

The steel plates Big bend suggests would be great, or if you can not or do no want to buy steel you could build some out of 2x8 and plywood. Two bolts on the post offset and one on the beam. Use the ply on the outside of the 2x8.

To gain length for a cheap water level you can attach short pieces of clear tube to the ends of a garden hose.

When you go to jacking flatten out a wide base in the soil to stack dunnage on. Put some pressure on the jack and see how it settles out then let off and adjust the grade and re-stack and try again.
    To gain the adjustment height you can add a combination of dimensional lumber and plywood scraps of various sizes.

Hope this helps. It is just one way not necessarily the best way. At least from the looks of it you have plenty of room to work on it under there.

It's amazing what a couple of handyman jacks can do.
    My dad has a railroad jack that lifts more than any other jack I've seen. It was made for lifting railroad cars.
    If you could find a couple of those to rent they would easily do it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I would only ad for you to pick a piece of 3/8 plate metal about 5 to 6 in. sq. Then use that between the jack head and beam.Go to the lumber yard and see about getting some dunnage material for cribbing for your jack. It is a fairlery strirght forard and simple job. Good luck