Thread: June in Healy

Default June in Healy

I am bringing my wife up to Healy for 3 weeks in June to work on our cabin. Historic weather seems to be conducive to our camping in a canvas tent. How bad should I expect the bugs to be? how much deet should I bring, do thermocells work? What other things should I concern myself with that I may not be thinking about?

A small wood stove for the tent...??? Thermocells work ok around where I live, but I don't know if I would trust them up there. Deet is nasty stuff but you may have to deal with it. What I like to do even more is build a few small fires made with punk wood so they smoke pretty good around the camp. Bugs don't like smoke....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I bet having a couple of small punky fires could deter just about all sizes of annoying critters, I should have plenty of punky wood from all my trimming I did 2 years ago, good idea.
    We'll probably have a sleeping tent and a cook tent separated by about 200'.
    There is a roadside rest area about 1 mile away so she can utilize that when she needs if my facilities are not up to par.
    I still would like to find a 4 wheeler to use for piddling about while we are there but not having much luck (I mean I don't want to pay $200 a day to rent for 3 weeks). I could BUY an old jeep for $4000!

What I suggest you get and do.

You don't want to have a Thermocells around food the instruction say it's poisonous.

What we use to keep the bugs away are called mosquitoes coils.

light color clothes will help keep the bugs off you.

A lose fitting Light weight pair of cover-all keeps the bugs from getting down your back side.

Use rubble bands around the wrist and ankles to keep the bugs from getting up them.

Wear a baseball hat and put 100% Deet on it, if you don't you will have bumps all over your head.

I prefer the spray bottle of Deet and spray it on my back. Mosquitoes like to hang out back there waiting for there turn.

I would put a mosquitoes net over the beds.

Use mosquitoes head nets on the bad days and gloves.

If your allergic to bug bites from mosquitoes, gnats, no see-um, and white socks, Claritin and Benadryl will reduce the swelling.

To stop the itching from a bites I put a drop of house hold Ammonia on the bites.

Pray for wind...........

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    We'll probably have a sleeping tent and a cook tent separated by about 200'.
    If you plan on sleeping in a canvas wall tent too, I would advise some mosquito netting around your cots/bags.

Always remember, if you do use deet, don't get it on your fingers when fishing.........if you don't already know, it will eat up monofilament in a hurry. When and if I absolutely have to use the stuff, I usually just spray it on my hat, and the back of my hands...... That stuff is too da*n toxic to use all over and for very long. Mosquitoes usually aren't the bugs that bother me that bad......the white socks are the major pain.

The wind in and around Healy usually works good!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    The wind in and around Healy usually works good!
    Hopefully it's not blowin' inside the tent.......

I honestly wouldn't worry about separating your cook shack that far from your sleeping tent. I've literally spend months in camps that had tents less than 25' from our cooking areas, much times far less. This was in much more bear prone areas than Healy. Provide the girls with a decent outhouse. It will be the best thing you can do.

As for bugs, I would much rather have a Thermocel near my food than a mosquito coil. To each their own. We use one of these around camp, http://www.amazon.com/Time-Mist-Disp.../dp/B00061MT3Y When our family lives out we simply put bug dope on our bodies and move about our day. Most of my family just uses the unscented Cutters and just reapplies when the bugs get a little worse. I don't get too wrapped up in the deet percentage.

Do you already own the wall tent? If not, I would seriously consider one of the larger nylon tents on the market that has a good bug net door and ventilation. When we bed down for the night we give one squirt from the bug spray in that above sprayer inside the tent. Kills what bugs we have in there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've not had too much trouble with bugs when I have been there but I have only been there 1 week in June. I can fight through bugs and cold and bathroom stuff but I need to keep her comfortable if this is going to work. I think we will try everything, coils, thermo-cell, smoke and then weed ourselves to what works best for us-definitely need to pick up some netting-any suggestions?
    I do own the canvas tent and she loves all the room. We have camped in smaller tents and she wants the space (to avoid me I think).
    Not sure where the cook tent will end up for sure but I have plenty of space with clear line of sight. I have also never had a problem but again, I want her to be comfortable. Probably wear lots of hats with nets and bug spray as well. I think we will try sponge baths with a trip to the park showers every 3rd day or a week.
    How about stripping logs? My logs are all going to average 12" in thickness 14"/15" on one end and 10"/11" on the other. I am figuring about 2 hours per log to limb them, drag them to the stripping area and stripping them. Accurate? They have been sitting there (felled)since September 2013. I am thinking I can limb them all in 1 day, drag them all to the stripping site in another day and 2 or 3 days to strip them. 60 total logs.
    I have a camp filter for water, I would love to try the water unfiltered but I won't.

You should do all your peeling in the spring right after you cut them down they peel like a banana! Now you are going to have to work at it........
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    I think we will try sponge baths with a trip to the park showers every 3rd day or a week.
    You might consider one of those small solar showers that you hang in a tree. Can be pretty handy.....

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    You should do all your peeling in the spring right after you cut them down they peel like a banana! Now you are going to have to work at it........
    Wayyy too late to go back and cut them next spring.

Forget peeling those logs with a draw knife ! Get one of these for peeling spruce bark that has dried: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Log-Wizard-C...item540689996e.