Thread: Start up on a 8 year stored boat

Default Start up on a 8 year stored boat

So we recently bought some remote property that included a 16' jon boat with a 35 Merc 2 stroke with a jet unit. The whole set up is early 2000 with VERY low hours on it. It was last run 8 years ago and ran great. The boat has been stored outside, on it's side with the motor on it and covered. When I looked it over last year it looked like a brand new set up. Not even a scatch on the boat inside or out. The motor looked very clean and shiny. What should I expect besides the usual,change spark plugs, make sure the pistons move, clean gas? How about water pump? jet unit? I will be making a trip in June to go over the boat and then again in July to put it in the water and run it and get it ready for moose season. Last question, the river in question has LOTS of floating leafs that get sucked into jets. Is there and gizmos's or tricks to help fighting against this? Thanks!

If it were my engine I would spray the cylinders with light oil and turn it over a few times to make sure the cylinder walls are oiled. I don't know if this 2 stroke has a oil pump if not is there a lower unit drain plug that you could add oil to lubricate the bearing and after there lubricated remove the oil?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the fuel lines.

Many times when running a river and there is a lot of trash there will be a lot less up close to the bank, But you have to be on your toes when in close trees and limbs sticking out just as you come around the corner. Also you will want to make sure that the motor is in the water when you start it as the impeller in the water pump will get hot quick.

Fresh fuel with some SeaFoam in it to clean out any varnish in the fuel system, replace fuel lines, spark plugs, lower unit oil and replace water pump impeller. Check for critter nests inside the cowling as well. If there are nests check wiring and hoses for damage.
    If the engine was fogged before storage all should be good there. If not as stated a bit of oil and run/pull starter foe a could of revolutions to distribute and leave for a little while.

All great info, thanks fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Fresh fuel with some SeaFoam in it to clean out any varnish in the fuel system, replace fuel lines, spark plugs, lower unit oil and replace water pump impeller. Check for critter nests inside the cowling as well. If there are nests check wiring and hoses for damage.
    If the engine was fogged before storage all should be good there. If not as stated a bit of oil and run/pull starter foe a could of revolutions to distribute and leave for a little while.

No lower unit oil on a jet, 2nd some seafoam on initial fire up just help it clean up quickly.....can't hurt it.
    Pour a bit of marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and roll over gently to lube her up prior to firing off. Look into cylinder to check condition, i'm sure she wll be just as long as i was not under h20 during a high water event.
    Wouldn't hurt to change the h20 pump as mentioned but I would make sure she fires first before dropping the jet and swapping out the pump. Once she runs, change it regardless how well she pisses h20.

It will most likely fire off with fresh gas and no other love needed if stored well!
    Bk

Great advice so far, what I do with snow machines every year is pour a little marvels in each cylinder, leave the plugs out and slowly turn it over 20 or more times.

As long as that sat, I would pull the carbs and clean them too, I also do that every year with snow machines.

Take some brake cleaner or carb cleaner for general cleanup. You might take some pull start cord too, it may be rotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    ...seafoam....
    Amen to that. I'd get a can of aerosol Seafoam as well as the fuel additive, and use that to fog the engine on a brief first startup, then let it sit an hour or so before a longer run. Probably even fog it a second time before the longer run.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    No lower unit oil on a jet, 2nd some seafoam on initial fire up just help it clean up quickly.....can't hurt it.
    Pour a bit of marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and roll over gently to lube her up prior to firing off. Look into cylinder to check condition, i'm sure she wll be just as long as i was not under h20 during a high water event.
    Wouldn't hurt to change the h20 pump as mentioned but I would make sure she fires first before dropping the jet and swapping out the pump. Once she runs, change it regardless how well she pisses h20.

It will most likely fire off with fresh gas and no other love needed if stored well!
    Bk

HAHA, didn't notice it was a jet.

2nd fuel lines, vac hoses, plugs and water pump, grease the parts you want to keep.........

2 strokes store very well....

Bet the original water pump would be a ok spare to throw in the boat box
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Amen to that. I'd get a can of aerosol Seafoam as well as the fuel additive, and use that to fog the engine on a brief first startup, then let it sit an hour or so before a longer run. Probably even fog it a second time before the longer run.
    Where do you find the aerosol seafoam? I keep hearing about this elustious jewel but havent found any. Seafoam is amazing stuff and will help clean your motor. The longer you let it sit in the motor and carbs the more it cleans. I would fill your carb bowls and cylinders and let soak for 24 hours or longer. This stuff does great with cleaning carbon also.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

You should be able to find the aerosol seafoam at NAPA or other parts stores...call 1st and check. One other thing nobody has mentioned is to make sure to grease the jet unit bearing if it is greasable.

Big help fellas, thanks!

Solid advice it seems. If there's a chance of rotten fuel lines bring a spare primer bulb too.

Started my neighbors 2 Stroke Evinrude 35 HP OB than had been sitting idle for over 5 years. Dumped old fuel drained carbs, ran some fogging oil
    in carb with switch off. Fresh fuel and started right up water pump ran full stream.

For a remote boat and location, I would replace fuel lines, fuel, filter, water pump,would also install a water separator-filter. lube jet unit and inspect pump impeller and set clearance. Try and test it in calm water before, a tricky river!

And have a good set of oars for a back up! Go up river first for a good trial run! First boat trip of the year is always interesting.