Thread: Kodiak Bears are moving

Default Kodiak Bears are moving

Had 3 garages on in base housing get broken into by a bear night before last. Then my buds got broken into last night by a bear, figuring it was the same one. They're definitely out and about and looking for food.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

My dog winded a bear just outside of Kenai a few nights ago while we were walking, got my attention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you train that dog to wind 60" bull moose?

Ha ha ha, not with the ranger ricks that were patrolling the thread about sheep hunting with a dog around!

Funny thing, this dog goes nuts on moose but leaves horses alone. When were walking and he does it that makes sense cause I figure he can smell the difference, but he does it in the car too, I thought that was odd.

Anyone else experience that?

So last week, 5 garage doors got ripped down in all. Also saw a nice looking sow along the road with 2 1yr old cubs with her. There's one in the flats here that terrorizing the chicken coops, other day it killed 11 chicken and 6 geese in at one house. As well, the ditches are turning green with fresh grass already.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Funny thing, this dog goes nuts on moose but leaves horses alone. When were walking and he does it that makes sense cause I figure he can smell the difference, but he does it in the car too, I thought that was odd.

So.....does your dog have a different moose bark than and a bear bark...??? I remember when our old mutt saw it's first bear at the house one evening.....she had a bark then that I'd never heard before.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Do you show the same level of excitement when you see a horse as opposed to a moose? It's surprising how much a dog can "read" your own emotions for different stimuli.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Do you show the same level of excitement when you see a horse as opposed to a moose? It's surprising how much a dog can "read" your own emotions for different stimuli.
    You know that would sure make a lot of sense but he gets all jacked about moose I don't even see, scares the crap out of me every time!

Perhaps once in the past was enough and he remembers? I don't recall getting excited about one with him explicitly but I sure could have, interesting thought!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    So.....does your dog have a different moose bark than and a bear bark...??? I remember when our old mutt saw it's first bear at the house one evening.....she had a bark then that I'd never heard before.
    Absolutely, he barks at a moose like he would bark at a dog he wants to run out of the yard, he doesn't bark when he smells a bear but his posture changes, he goes down, hair stands up from neck to tail.

If he could give you a warning when your wife is mad at you, that would make him invaluable.

You know that would sure make a lot of sense but he gets all jacked about moose I don't even see, scares the crap out of me every time!

Perhaps once in the past was enough and he remembers? I don't recall getting excited about one with him explicitly but I sure could have, interesting thought!

You seeing the moose (at this point) has no input on the dog's reaction. He already knows what your reaction will be when you do see it; he's letting you know that a sighting in eminent. After all its hard for him to say, "Look a horse" or "HOLY CRAP, ITS A MOOSE."

... he doesn't bark when he smells a bear but his posture changes, he goes down, hair stands up from neck to tail.

Smart dog!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by CenterMass View Post
    If he could give you a warning when your wife is mad at you, that would make him invaluable.
    If he could do that i'd auction him off and pay off my house!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    You seeing the moose (at this point) has no input on the dog's reaction. He already knows what your reaction will be when you do see it; he's letting you know that a sighting in eminent. After all its hard for him to say, "Look a horse" or "HOLY CRAP, ITS A MOOSE."
    Well I have to say that makes the most sense of any theory I could come up with, thanks!!!