Good luck and be safe out there
Well, my friends and I have been blessed with quite a few quality tags this year. We have six Kodiak Brown bear tags for this spring, fall and next spring. As we're planning out our hunts and dates and logistics, it occurs to me that we are not the only ones getting ready to head out hunting (and I'm fishing as well), so I just want to point out a couple of things to remember.
1) never had a job that I was willing to die for. If you are DIY or need to get to a beach for pick up, stay within your limits and plan for the worst, mother nature is a real *****;
2) know your first aid and have an extraction plan;
3) If you have to ask yourself if you can make it, you probably shouldn't try;
4) a story about weather delay and sitting on a beach without adequate supplies is better than giving someone bad news about why their husband/dad didn't make the trip home;
5) have an inreach or satphone to give info to those who matter - spouses, air taxi, coast guard.
6) carry a vhf radio, guys like me (and most of the guys I know are) will always respond and help if we can, sometimes all you need is a couple gallons of gas or diesel, and we're happy to help, or relay a call.
7) Enjoy your time afield, for most it is the couple weeks a year that are cherished the most, so take your time and pass the small critters, it's not a race;
8) Take a kid hunting or fishing, it could change their lives;
9) respect others out there and give them their space, too;
10) Good luck!!!!
And the most important thing of all - wear your lifejacket if you are in any type of watercraft, it will save many situations from becoming tragedies.
Thank you!!!!!! we all need to be reminded sometimes.
Great post seinerman. It's easy to get nonchalant about safety outdoors.
By the way, I'm not sure if you remember but I met you when you and some friend stopped by Kitoi Bay last year to see our bears. I was the one with the bear tag and all the questions. Good luck this coming year. Chuck.
I definitely remember you!! I've been wondering how your hunt went. Is the bear in the icon one that you got last fall? I would love to see some pics and find out which one you got. We'll be hunting East Afognak in a couple weeks, I'll stop in if we can and say hi. Otherwise I'll definitely stop in on my way between PWS and my slip in Dog Bay to get some more videos and some silvers for the smoker!
Originally Posted by Longbow6360
Yes, that's the one I shot last fall. It taped 9' 5". Buy the way, there was a beached whale on a beach near us late last fall. Would that location be of use to you this spring? I can PM you the GPS position if you'd like. Looking forward to seeing you again. Chuck.