Thread: The interarms mark x whitworth express rifle?

Default The interarms mark x whitworth express rifle?

What can you experts tell me about it? Its a .375 HH. It says alexandria virginia/ manchester england. has safari sights with a 200 and 300 yard folding leafs. has an H engraved ahead of the action in the form of two castle towers. Serial number 101XXX. I want some history.
    Limon32 don't you have one?

Release Lake Trout

I have one with the twin castle and steel door on the top of the receiver. I have been told (Don't know if it is true) that that "H" is for H&H and that they installed the barrels on those. Mine is a .300 Winchester Magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have one with the twin castle and steel door on the top of the receiver. I have been told (Don't know if it is true) that that "H" is for H&H and that they installed the barrels on those. Mine is a .300 Winchester Magnum.
    My dad just gave this rifle to me as a 30th birthday gift, as with all the reloading gear he had for it. he bought it in the 60s while stationed at Fort Yukon. It was his first big bore and one of his favorite rifles. it is indeed a piece of family history...... It's about 95%. I love the way it looks and handles. I plan to fit her with a VX2 3-9 when i get back home. He also handed off to me a marlin 1895 guide gun in .450 magnum. I was just shocked. Chances are he can't shoot em anymore and refuses to sell them.

Release Lake Trout

Also; anyone got a good pet load for .375?

Release Lake Trout

If you think you are going to keep that rifle for ever and ever..........suggest you consider converting the safety to three position wing like the Model 70 Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    What can you experts tell me about it? Its a .375 HH. It says alexandria virginia/ manchester england. has safari sights with a 200 and 300 yard folding leafs. has an H engraved ahead of the action in the form of two castle towers. Serial number 101XXX. I want some history.
    Limon32 don't you have one?
    I have one, its not the version with the three leaf rear, I forget what they called that one but its a subset of the same rifle. I just checked mine and I found no castle looking mark on it, I believe there is another thread about them on here fairly recently where someone mentioned what that mark meant. Mine is a great shooter, it loves factory Federal ammo, like .5 MOA at 100 yards, holes on top of each other obviously. That was when I had a 3-9 power scope on it. I put a VXIII 1.75-6 a couple years ago and the rifle actually knocked that scope around enough to require a trip back to Leupold.

Most reports I read indicate they are generally all good shooters. I always watch for a good deal on them when I find them, I passed one exactly like mine about 6 months after I got mine, I've kicked my self ever since. I would have really like to have a spare or his and hers for a Kodiak/Bison hunt for me and my wife but I didn't realize just how much I liked the gun at the time. I'd snap up one in most any caliber for the right price just because.

I really enjoy shooting mine, the bell & Carlson stock has a nice thick recoil pad on it, it is heavy, but that keeps it shootable. I can shoot 45 rounds (generally 3 groups of test loads for me) without trouble, some of the more stout loads wear on me eventually.

Mine shoots 225gr hornady SP, 250gr sierra BTSP game kings and 250gr TTSx sub MOA with IMR 4064, it took me several powders to find something that it would shoot 300gr. partitions with and eventually found WIN 760 pushes them sub MOA. I have some 300gr game kings that didn't shoot well with 4064, i'll probably try those over WIN 760 eventually (they are good "cheap" practice bullets). I had some of the Hornady 300gr RNSP that were discontinued, they were the cheapest .375 300gr bullet I could find locally, anyway I loaded a bunch with AA4350 and they shot about 1.5 MOA, I used them for cheap sight in loads, I like the way that bullet looks too.

Mine generally shoots best with low to mid charge weights, which seems silly until you run the numbers and realize that even at 2400 fps your over 4,000 ft-lb at the muzzle, that's enough for me.

I'd be happy to talk loading more if your interested, I did notice that Shooters Pro Shop has a great deal on blemished 300 gr Accubonds right now.

Unless you expect to ONLY use this on big bear and moose...even then...try 73 grs Varget with a 260 NP. This will up the performance of a 30-06 180 gr load by 50% or more and kill just about anything you encounter very nicely.

Congrats on a nice rifle. The .375 is a great caliber. I used my 375 Ruger on a whitetail last fall. They are just fun to shoot. If I remember right the interarms weigh quite a bit, that's the only downfall I ever noticed.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

7STW thanks for the suggestion, I recently acquired a pound of Varget and want to try it,

My load for 375 H&H is 75 gr IMR 4350, 300 gr Nos Part. BUt, wiht powder and bullets getting harder to come by, I need to try other powders, depending on what's available I guess....

Whitworths are under appreciated guns! A friend here in GA has a 375 H&H he was trying to sell, it was on consignment and never moved, I think he wanted $700?

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    7STW thanks for the suggestion, I recently acquired a pound of Varget and want to try it,

My load for 375 H&H is 75 gr IMR 4350, 300 gr Nos Part. BUt, wiht powder and bullets getting harder to come by, I need to try other powders, depending on what's available I guess....

Whitworths are under appreciated guns! A friend here in GA has a 375 H&H he was trying to sell, it was on consignment and never moved, I think he wanted $700?
    Don't know where your at but I've got at least half a pound that I'd sell you, I never found a load I liked with it (including those darn partitions!).

By time I paid shipping and hazmat fee, it'd be $100 for a half pound!!!!

I'm in Georgia, USA.

7STW

75 gr Varget? That's 10 gr over max for a 270 grain bullet according to hodgdon website.
    Just want to make sure before I start working up a load?

Thanks,
    DoughNut

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    By time I paid shipping and hazmat fee, it'd be $100 for a half pound!!!!

I'm in Georgia, USA.
    Ha ha ha, a year and a half ago that would have been a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Ha ha ha, a year and a half ago that would have been a deal!
    Limon did you get my pm?

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Limon did you get my pm?
    Yeah, sorry, I didn't get back to you, I don't have my load data at hand right now but I'll reply when I can get my hands on it. If your powder shopping right now, IMR 4064 has been very versatile in mine and that's where I would suggest starting. It hasn't seemed to shoot well with 300gr bullets but anything lighter it has produced good accuracy. It was also relatively easy to find throughout the shortages (both of them) and I know Cabelas has some right now.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Yeah, sorry, I didn't get back to you, I don't have my load data at hand right now but I'll reply when I can get my hands on it. If your powder shopping right now, IMR 4064 has been very versatile in mine and that's where I would suggest starting. It hasn't seemed to shoot well with 300gr bullets but anything lighter it has produced good accuracy. It was also relatively easy to find throughout the shortages (both of them) and I know Cabelas has some right now.
    Sounds good. The only bullets I have for it right now are 285 Speer grand slams.....

Release Lake Trout